had archilles repair done 3 weeks ago.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Snapped tendon 3 weeks ago . Now have moonboot on and doing well except for burning pain duing middle of the night. I do have pressure duing the day due to me still working and moving arround with crutches. Do elevate it as much as posible. No swelling bu sharp burning pain wakes me up. Any idea why this kind of pain while sleeping?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Don't know why you you have the burning pain. I am in a walking airboot and it is completely flat on the bottom. Walking is painful and swells immediately. It seams every Dr. has a different post op treatment. I am using a walker for my help walking. I was so clumsy using crutches, felt unsafe for me. I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. Hope we both have a great outcome!
  • Posted

I'm a week behind you after a full rupture playing squash. Due to get cast off on Thursday and eager to see the state of the incision. Was yours okay and healing well? I haven't experienced any burning like you, only when I spend too long on crutches (more than two minutes at the moment). Are you able to spend more time walking on crutches after three weeks without instant swelling? Like you, I'm back at work with leg on desk as much as possible. Are you taking painkillers before sleep and keeping your foot well elevated on pillows?

• Posted

I am on my legs and crutches much more. Some times doing 400 m walk on construction site.

No more painkillers since 2 weeks from surgery. Leg only elevated in the evening .. but sleeping in normal position. Less buring now , but seem to be better if I release the boot pressure slightly.

Will probably start doing movements without boot after my 4th week. Then put weight on it in 2 more weeks.

• Posted

Good to hear and hope I can get as mobile soon. You must have some set of crutches to plough through a site!
    • Posted

Sounds like you are improving each day. It's just such a long process and I get so impatient. It's been 1 month since my surgery and I am using a walker and trying to put full wt on it but can't yet. I was a real clutz on crutches. My orders are to wear boot when walking but not sleeping.. A lot of my pain is down my Achilles' tendon where it was lengthened. It doesn't help having a physical therapist and occupational therapist in my family. They say just keep walking on it and stop being such a wimp. We know are limitations right? I guess we will have to take one day at a time and hope for the best. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Karen

I have done internet research on this and there asecific exersizes that one must do at certains stages. It will take 2 years to get to 90% strenght. Never be the same. But there is only a 1.7% chance that it could break again.

I have the same break on my other leg many years back and it has recovered well and I have tried to snap it with squash. Bit still good...

Looking forward to continue squash in 1 year's time.

• Posted

Hello all

Sorry to to hear about your injuries. I ruptured in Oct, conservative treatment and it went again 10 weeks later so had surgery. Would always recommend surgery and now 24 weeks in. It's a very hard injury and being in the cast then boot is really frustrating. Just take your time over things, it seems like it will take a lifetime but after the first few weeks it gets easier and will go quicker.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions

• Posted

Thanks for your concern Jacob. I know I need to be patient. It's only been 4 weeks since my surgery and I am walking on it with a boot. When I go back to Dr in 2 wks. He said I would start therapy. I just get frustrated because full weight is painful and I worry something is wrong. I am only putting partial wt on it and my foot swells up. I must stop complaining and have a positive attitude. Thanks for your feedback.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.