Enhanced Recovery Programme - verdict?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have just received my op date (15th June) and have been told that I will be on the Enhanced Recovery Programme.  Has anyone had any experience with this Programme and their thoughts on it.  

All views gratefully received.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I was on this programme in St Albans hospital Hertfordshire. I was in hospital for 3 nights and encouraged to get up and about the same evening as my op. The staff were very supportive and reassuring. I found the whole experience excellent. There were physios visiting the ward every day. I am waiting for a date to have my other hip done and will be on this programme again.
    • Posted

Thanks Lynn - sounds very encouraging.  What sort of anaesthetic did you have? Is there anything in the programme that didn't quite work for you?
  • Posted

They tried the spinal block but couldn't get the needle in. Think that maybe because of my spine not their ability! So I ended up having a general and it worked for me. Will have it again for the other hip. The only thing I am not looking forward to is the bed pan the first night!!!! They got me a commode in the end as " no go " on the bed pan 😞
  • Posted

I had total hip replacement on my left hip. A week prior to my surgery I had a meeting with a R.N at the hospital in charge of "Joint Camp Coordinator" her duties consisted of coordinating your stay in the hospital and to oversee the Rehab program for the hospital. It could be something like this. My stay at the hospital was for three days with Therapy twice a day. At the end of three days I was able to walk with a walker. Wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Hi Chloe, just catching up with previous posts & see that you have your date - 1 week after me! In a strange, macabre sort of way I'm actually excited! We'll have to make sure we keep in regular contact x
    • Posted

I know what you mean (about being excited in a strange macabre way), as my hip continues to deteriorate - and consequently the pain increases - I am kind of looking forward to the op, but then I'm also dreading it at the same time. However, I had a major panic attack when I found out the date as I had been anticipating the op taking place in August, so it was rather a surprise or it to be so soon.

I am coming to terms with the impending op - a bit and it will be so nice to be pain free at long last.

Great idea to keep in regular contact post ops - would you prefer to go private or continue to use this forum.  I'll put my personal email on my details page, so feel free to use it if you wish.

I'm sure will post before hand but just in case - good luck with your op.

• Posted

I would look at your early date as a positive - not long to wait to be rid of the horrible nagging pain & not long to sit worrying about it.

I don't mind posting on here post-op as I've received lots of great advice & everyone likes to keep updated. I think you can private message people as well so if you want to do that as well that's fine. 15th June is my husband's birthday so I'll remember to think about you x

• Posted

Hi

I didn't think much to the enhanced recovery programme tbh - it's just a phrase for how quick they can get you up and discharged. What they told me about the enhanced recovery didn't prepare me for the op or what happened after. As it happens I was in 5 days anyway as spiked a temp so wasn't a quick discharge. I don't want to be a scaremonger - but what they don't tell you is that the first 2 weeks after surgery is a total right off- very painful, depressing and no signs of improvement - however after that things really do improve in all ways. I'm 4 weeks post thr - the first two weeks were horrific and questioned why I even bothered but not I am really starting to see the benefits - certainly all arthritis pain has gone and movement is getting so much better x

Good luck with your surgery xx

• Posted

Just to add on to what I have already put - I must say tho that the care I receieved was outstanding and the physios and ots were amazing on getting me walking and the surgery itself - with spinal and sedation I don't remember a thing - even managed to put all my make up on in recovery x
  • Posted

Hi and welcome. This forum is great and will answer all your queries faster than any health care provider lol.

Im 6wk post op LTHR had traditional lateral posterior.

Had enhanced recovery. At preop assessment went thru all paperwork and tested ecg wgt mrsa screen etc.

They gave me a booklet to take in that u fill in each day with pain scores, walking done, whether you ate , if you pooped.....noone ever checked or asked for that at all.

I was given a packet of a powder to mix and drink on day of admission that day of surgery, called preload its a carb.

I was told 3-5days i would be in.

I wanted a GA but was convinced to have spinal and did but with sedation.

It was great so dont underestimate the skill of anaesthetist.

I ended up in for 6days due to my personal post op probs.

This may have happened anyhoo.

The thing to remember is that you will not be discharged till ready and safe to do so and thats without a "programme".

Physio and OT are fabulous. Get ready prior to going in... look at the resource list on this forum.

And look forward to being painfree. 😊😊😊

• Posted

Hi Chloeparrot, 

Mine was/is called the same and I think it is more a phrase than a "programme" too - Instead of having you stay in bed, like in the olden days, they get you out and about as soon as a couple of hours post-op - 

I chose GA because I just didn't want to take a chance to hear, smell, feel anything during surgery - I had 2 THR's with GA and no problems at all -  

just took a deeeeep breath, then opened my eyes and was done !

I was in the hospital for 4 nights/ 5days at my request because I live alone 

as for posting here ?the first time I had not found this forum yet but was so delighted when I found it and talk about my problems, read about others who were going through the same things -

With 2nd one (6 months later) I felt so supported, so many good wishes, that I had to share with everybody --

we love to hear from anybody right after post-op , or even right before you're wheeled in to OR ... we have been there -

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Sorryto hear gillyb74 you had problems with the enhanced recovery. My pain was managed really well. Infact i only had cramp in my calf. The first few days at home are a bit of a blur but i was walking around the house on crutches and up and downstairs from day one. Day nine i went to the doctors surgery to have dressing removed. I had disolvable stitches. I celebrated with lunch at the local garden centre.
  • Posted

Hi Chloe - I was on the enhanced recovery programme at Sussex orthopaedic treatment centre . Pre op assessment was excellent and was given pre op high carb drinks at that point which certainly helped reduce pre op dehydration , no qualms re op itself although I did have to be assertive to get the full GA alongside the spinal /post op care was fine , marred only by some care assistants transferred over from the main hospital who made it plain they didn't want to be working there - on the whole I would say the ERP is very good , it has been well researched . Only thing I would say is it's a bit of a factory line and one size doesn't always suit all - it needs to have the capability of being finely tuned to individual needs without staff reacting as if the programme is being usurped ! The first two weeks are difficult to say the least for most people and they could do with the programme providing a little bit more support re that period or contact for any post op problems etc and they really should refer everyone to this forum ! Best of luck for your own op - am sure all will go well ! Xxx
  • Posted

Yes I was on Enhanced Recovery Programme - excellent. Had my op on Tuesday 26th April , into hospital at 6.50am in recovery by 10.30am on ward by 11.15am used commode 2pm sat out for a while. Next day, Wednesday,  used walking frame, pain control was excellent, visits from physio and occupational therapists. Thursday used toilet in ensuite and washed properly, crutches bought in and used surprised I could manage. After lunch more walking with crutches then taken by wheelchair to do the stairs all fine left hospital 4pm.

I had spinal injection and sedation knew nothing after first injection until i came too in recovery no after efects. I am 69 and also have Parkinsons Disease. Now using no aids in the house but one crutch outdoors. You will be fine

• Posted

I think the 'Enhanced programme' is the standard now for 'routine' hips - those without extra complications.

Like others, I had twice daily physio visits in hospital.  Appointments for physios as soon as I left, physio classes etc.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.