Can't sleep

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello again, I can't get comfortable in bed, the pain in my hip is terrible, any advice on how to lie comfortably. X

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Try lying with pillow between your legs & soft pillow under the knee of the painful hip. It was trial & error for me & took a little while. All the best
  • Posted

I'm having surgery in June. I thought they would continue to medicate so you wouldn't be in extreme pain? Wouldn't a pain pill at night help? Good thoughts for you!
  • Posted

Pillows as many as you have lying on your back is the worst! I used to make a Baggie of ice wrap it in a towel and put it behind the incision towards my back. Make sure you take your pain med before bed. Some people have found it more comfortable in a recliner but sleep the first two weeks is horrible! 

• Posted

Julia, if the pain is that bad, you are probably undermedicated. It shouldn't be that bad! If you aren't taking the prescribed meds at the correct dosage and time, then try doing it as prescribed. If you are taking the maximum amount regularly, then contact your surgeon's office and tell them that your pain is not under control and that you need help asap.
  • Posted

Try resting on your good hip, don't forget to take your pain medicine this helps, place pillow between your legs while resting on your side. The pain will eventually subside. Also use ice packs (the jelly type) wrapped in a towel at your incision and thigh muscles to a max of twenty minutes. This also helps. Hope your pain will easy soon. 
  • Posted

Pillows, play a vital part, I found my iPod with soothing music, raising both knees and supporting with a cushion, and sometimes laying my non-operated leg out flat to the side gave some relief.

After going through this for 6 weeks,then having to do it all again 4 weeks later for another 6 weeks, I actually found that I now prefer to be on my back.

I think it does serve a purpose, it lets the bone grow into your non-cemented inserts with all the parts in proper alignment.

Best wishes

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

Hi Julia

i had my op last October and I think  the worst thing was having to sleep on my back. I was so uncomfortable and my hip ached so much. I did find propping myself up on about 4 pillows and putting one under my knees really did help.

hope this helps and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Steph

• Posted

For the first few weeks, I slept on my back, legs apart, stamdard pillow under my knees, king size pillow supporting my calves and heels. Another thing I did was sleep on top of the bed so the sheets didn't pull on my feet. I have a light blanket I use for napping and it was very comfortable for me to sleep under this without the restriction of tucked-in sheets. Standard pillows on either side of me, supporting my arms and a contour pillow under my head brought my pillow count to five! Don't forget your meds as they will help you sleep. Take them religiously the first few weeks. You can taper off later. Sleep is what you need right now to heal. Music and an ice gel pack for the sore bits should allow you to float away, without much pain. All those pillows will keep you in place through the night.
  • Posted

I found lying on my back with my feet elevated and my back propped up with pillows ( so I was kind of in a recliner type position) really helped.  \The pain meds got rid of the pain but not the awfull stiffness feeling.  Now I'm almost 4 weeks in I can alternate between lying on my back and lying on my side with a pillow between my legs.  The alternation of positions really helps.  Up until now its been too sore on my hip to lie on my side. 

David.

• Posted

I have had both hips replaced an am 13 weeks post of l find sleeping the hsrdest part of my recovery. Still to this dayl cant sleep a a full night in bed l wake up about 4am and move to my couch and l get back to sleep no problem. After lying on any side for a long period as it stars to get sore snd its as if my implants are digging in to my side.

Laura x

• Posted

I know just what you mean Laura sad, I get that too at 5 months post-revision now.

Also got the old 'needle in the scar area' feeling again today for a short time at work - feels like someone is trying to push a needle into the leg.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hey graham

I am afraid l am still struggling l to get they pains in one side now and again now l am waiting in xrays about my knee's and hips to see if l have OA in my knees too. I am in the stuck at a point just now not getting better but not getting worse. I am due back to work in 3 weeks l can't see it happening at all as l know l am not ready. I feel a bit pressured just now but will see what the future holds.

Take Care Graham x

• Posted

awww Laura, so sorry to hear your in such discomfort. I'm 2 weeks today, and am just about to go to get my staples removed, all 30 of them, not looking forward to that at all. I also feel like my implant is too big for my frame, it's still sticking out quite a bit more than my real hip. I have mastered the art of getting comfortable in bed though, I have been putting a pillow length ways under my leg from knee to foot, takes all the pressure off the hip.  hope you feel better soo. hugs.xxxxx
    • Posted

Laura, how awful for you - I know what you are feeling about going back to work.  I was being pressured into returning early, and I held out for the full 12 weeks post revision.  I did then get a very sympathetic phased return to work - started out with 2 x 4 hour days per week, slowly building up to full timeover a one month period.  Luckily it coincided with bank holidays in April, so that helped too.

I was extremely apprehensive about restarting, but it has worked out OK even if it was hard to get back into commuting to London.

Best wishes

Graham

XXX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.