'RECTAL POLYP NEEDING REMOVAL UNDER GA

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have a rather large polyp which needs removed under general anaesthetic. Apparently it is sitting right beside/on top of the nerve supply. My pre-op isn't for another fortnight. I am extremely worried it could be cancer. Has anyone had this op before? How long did biopsy results take? How long was your recovery? .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gayle, I had a small polyp removed from my colon during routine colonoscopy several years ago, which turned out to be benign. frustrating part is that biopsies took about 4wks to come back. They routinely remove polyps so they don't get bigger & of course some polyps have a small risk of being cancerous, but the majority are benign. so it is safer to remove them. you will know nothing about it if you are having a ga. if it is sitting on top of your nerve supply this could cause other problems/pain if left, so you are having the right treatment. try not to worry & remember, the vast majority of polyps are benign. xx
    • Posted

Thanks Loo loo for taking time to reply. My worry is my polyp isn't small. It's prob between 3-5cm. This obviously increases the cancer risk. I realise the vast majority of smaller polyps further up the bowel are benign but mine is more unusual. I thought it was piles initially. I just want it out and tested. The worry is driving me insane.
  • Posted

Gayle, I know that saying to you please try not to worry is soooooooooo easier said than done. But please try to look at the situation as a whole: you have done everything in your control to deal with it, & you are having the best medical treatment/procedure to deal with the situation put in front of you RIGHT NOW. You can do nothing more RIGHT NOW other than wait for that procedure to be done. full stop. then you recover from that procedure. full stop. then try to accept you can do nothing more until the gastro consultant gets your biopsy results which you can only deal with when that happens in a few weeks time. what I'm trying to say is try to discipline/program yourself to only deal with the immediate next step & not what if, what if , what if. I am currently practising this method myself with 2 health problems in limbo with treatment & tests that may have a knock on effect shortly with my continuing work absence, upcoming holiday etc, but I find concentrating on just the next step & no further keeps me sane. it stops me catastrophising about what might not even happen/be ahead. If I didn't apply this thinking at present, I would be all over the place mentally worrying. I learnt it when I had cognitive behaviour therapy for anxiety & depression about 6yrs ago, & its a great help when you are up against potential problems & find yourself worrying about every possibility. hope this helps you even just a little bit. xxxx
    • Posted

That all makes sense Looloo. Its very good advice. Not worrying about 'what if' IS easier said than done however. Thank you for giving me the kick up the backside that was needed. I will try not to worry. I hope all turns our well with your own health.
    • Posted

Dear Gayle, I didn't mean it to sound like a kick up the backside!! It's just a way of trying to change your thinking to deal with one aspect at a time. I am a natural worrier & used to make anxiety worse by what if, what if, what if with lots of situations you come up against, but this cognitive behaviour therapy I had, taught me to stop getting swept down the river of worry/anxiety, & just deal with the current; what's immediately in front of me. it does work for me-stops me being such a stresshead & deal with things more rationally/immediately. Yes I do having vague fleeting thoughts about my future in the next few weeks, with health issues & their impact, but they are fleeting thoughts that pass quickly as I am now used to putting them away to back of my mind whilst i deal with this week, this current time,this current situation. It takes practise & discipline from yourself, but becomes almost automatic when you have applied it in different situations. So do "try not to worry", you can do no more until you have your procedure. full stop! take care hun. xx
    • Posted

Please don't think I thought you were being harsh.  I didn't.  I wish I could be more like you.  I can't help but think weeks/months ahead.  I am really going to try to take it all one stage at a time. Obviously I hope I'm worrying for nothing.  And you're right, it is out of my hands, I can do nothing other than wait (patiently).  Thank you again Looloo for taking the time to send such good advice. x
    • Posted

You're very welcome Gayle. Do let me know how you get on, & any more questions or worries, just post on here. take care xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.