Weightloss

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there,

I think I have polycystic ovary syndrome. (it runs in the family and im showing all the sympotoms, just waiting on blood results)

I have gained a lot of weight and I was wondering how difficult people have found it to lose weight? is there medication to help? are there any good websites I can look on for dietry information and exercise regimes? 

Thanks for reading!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I'm a 16 year old girl who has been living with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome for the past two years. I too have also put on lots of weight. I have tried every diet under the sun and exercise daily however I could not seem to shed a single pound. That was until I went on a low GI diet.

I tired this since it is a well known fact that the cysts on the ovaries cause your body to treat all sugars and fats as a diabetic's body does. This means it stores it and does not get rid of it as a normal body should do.

A low GI diet does not completely cut out carbohydrates but rather replaces them with healthier ones. This means substituting white bread and pasta with brown bread and pasta. This diet does allow you to still have treats such as Nutella and cake since those things are surprisingly low GI.

To find out more I suggest researching foods that you can and can't eat. Do not look at a day-to-day diet plan since this is more of a lifestyle than a diet.

I have been eating this way for 3 months now and have since lost half a stone (this is without exercise since I am currently doing my GCSE exams).

As I say, do some research and discover what works for you. I hope this helped!

• Posted

Thanks for your quick reply! You've really helped- I'll start looking into what I can and can't eat. Thank you!
  • Posted

Hi Jnena27, metformin (diabetes drug often perscribed for PCOS) makes a huge difference to some women (or so I've heard), I went on it for a year and though it helped towards other symptoms and did make my periods more regular, it didn't help with the weight loss. Unfortunately there is no one size fits all solution to this. Speak with your doctor but just remember to eat healthy (stay away from sugar as much as you can - here's why: http://youngwomenshealth.org/2014/02/25/metformin/ wink and stay active! You'll get there, I'm still on route! x 
  • Posted

Hey, I hope my response is not too late!

I was diagnosed at 18 and immediately decided to lose weight and for me, the weightloss process was not particularly difficult. Just plenty of water, activity and determination worked and is still working for me! I go to the gym, swim and walk quite a lot. I think it really differs from person to person!

Good luck! smile

• Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with pcos at age 29, had irregular period, imbalance hormone, and had gained 10kg, I tried lots of weight loss product but it didn't last any longer. I lost some weight but then gained it back in a short time. Due to wanting to get pregnant, I limited my sugar intake and started metformin, it was inexpensive and it worked with my weight loss! I managed to lost 6kg in half a year (I know some of you may think that took a long period), but guess what, my weight became consistent after that and I was pregnant at age 31! I am now 33 with a 1+ year old girl!

Well, just consult doctor and try out whatever that works for you! Everyone is different! Wish you all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.