Sjorgrens syndrome and semi permanent make- up

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there.

I have SS and I'm currently taking Hydroxychloriquine.

I want to have Microblading done which is a semi permanent make-up procedure.

I've been trying to do some research but can't find much on the contraindication etc.

Has anyone with this either had semi permanent makeup done or heard anything about it?

Thanks

Claire

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Claire,

I'd never heard of microblading, so just looked it up. The article I read stressed that it's not really tattooing and it's only semi-permanent. That sounds slightly more hopeful. Personally, I'd hesitate to have anything permanent put deep into my skin - like tattoo ink - as SS sufferers have over-excitable immune systems that could pick a fight with any foreign substance. But it still sounds like a more superficial form of tattooing, even though the article I read said it needed to be renewed every year or so.

A year is a long time to have something in your body that your immune system doesn't like. And even after the cosmetic effect has worn off, there's a possibility that your immune system could remain over-excited.

I'd advise doing as much research as you possibly can before committing to this. Google words like adverse effects, even disasters, and try to find forums for people who've had it done.

PS: I just did a bit more quick research. Will send you two links by private message as links aren't permitted on this site.

• Posted

Hi lily

Thank you very much for your helpful reply!!

I looked at your links that you sent too.

I have spoken to the therapist and my doctors about the procedure too.

I'll be doing plenty more research before I make a decision though.

If I do decide to have it done though then I'm going to have a patch test done and a scratch test way in advanced to see if there's any reaction at all.

Fingers crossed. Xx

• Posted

Hi Claire

I want to underscore what Lily said, and add this: if you had a reaction, the reaction might not fade as quickly as the makeup. It took almost 10 years for 80% of my overreaction to cleaning products to fade. In the 1st 4-5 years it was a nightmare.

You might not have a reaction or you might not have it the 1st time ,,, do you want to chance that? 30+ years later I still have at least 20% of my overreaction 100% of the time, no exposure to chemicals or perfumes required.

If this is a procedure done by dermatologists you might ask them.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.