Not sure how much to reduce

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been taking ventaflaxine XR capsules. I take one 75 and two 37.5 and my doctor wants me to stop taking one of the 37.5. I feel like that's too much. Especially when some people are only reducing a few beads at a time. I want to go slow so I am more comfortable. Any advice would be much appreciated smile I have been having really bad racing thoughts, anxiety, mania, and obsession. Are these normal withdrawal symptoms?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Totally normal. Are you taking max strength fish oil and drinking plenty. Drs just don't understand how difficult it is to wean down. To my own cost I came down to quickly. The advise I was given is go back up a bit until you feel stable, which takes around 4 days and stay there for a few weeks. Take it slow and easy, it may take months, but I'm sure it's worth doing properly...

• Posted

No I am not sure how much to go down she wanted me to reduce the whole capsule but I want to go slower than that.
  • Posted

"I have been having really bad racing thoughts, anxiety, mania, and obsession. Are these normal withdrawal symptoms?" Depends how much you already reduced and how long ago?

• Posted

I'm not on XR but I am on Venlefaxine 300mg for a few years. Recently I took it into my head (foolishly, that is part of the deal with mental health) to stop all my medications and went cold turkey for a few days. This included anti-psychotics and epilepsy medication as well. Anyway, other than feeling slightly sick I didn't feel too bad. I also counted my meds incorrectly when I went on a recent holiday. I had to reduce my dose to half to make the meds last through the holiday. Other than feeling a bit more tired than usual I was fine.

Maybe I am just lucky but I think I could come off Venlafaxine easily if I needed to. I know some people struggle a lot. If I were you I would just give it a go. You may be fine and if not go back to GP and increase the dose a bit.

Personally I can't image coming off Venlafaxine, it is keeping me ticking along and I think I would be back in a state without it.

BW, BM.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.