Vertigo diagnosis? Any thoughts?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Sex: Male

Height: 5'11''

Weight: 142 lbs

Race: Caucasian 

Yesterday, I was just sitting on the couch when all of a sudden everything started spinning horizontally. The spinning lasted about 2 minutes. I became very nauseous and hot. I started sweating a lot. In a matter of minutes, it looked like I had just run a few miles. My hands also felt like they were vibrating and were trembling. My mom was with me and she didn't know what to do so she called 911. The paramedics took my vitals. BP was about 142/82. HR was ~80. O2 was 100%. Blood sugar was 77. I have no other medical conditions other than asthma which rarely even presents itself. I am not on any medications. They took me to the ER and in the ambulance I noticed my left shoulder was jerking a little. By the time I was there I was feeling better. The ER doc had me do stuff like touch my nose, walk heel to toe, etc. He said that since I had no recent trauma and am relatively young and healthy, he didn't believe it was any sot of tumor or stroke. He diagnosed it as vertigo. Today I have noticed that my shoulder is still twitching a bit. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. I know this isn't a substitute for going to a real doctor, but I am just curious. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Austin

I think there are several possibilities.  It does sound like vertigo, but it's unusual that should just last a couple of minutes.  However, I do remember something very similar when I was a teenager and we concluded that it was because earlier on a strong glue had been used in the house.  Was there anything unusual of that kind?   Any chemicals used that you might have developed an allergic or intolerant response to?

As an adult, I've had different kinds of vertigo.  One was after I'd had a lemon yoghurt - sometimes citrus will do this to me.  Everything was spinning and I felt violently sick, but it all wore off after about half an hour without actually being sick.

I've also had vestibular neuronitis, another form of vertigo, which was probably brought on by extreme tiredness.  But that lasted over a week and I had to have stematil to control it.

More recently, I had a different kind of vertigo (can't remember its name) where I woke up with my head spinning as I turned over in bed.  When I sat up it stopped, but when I lay down again it re-started. Apparently, this is to do with a little piece of material breaking off in the inner ear, which happens all the time, but which got stuck in a position that caused problems.  It was gone by next day.

So, vertigo is a generic name for different causes.  But those short lived ones are often related to something that is toxic to you - either something you've eaten or some chemical in the environment you've reacted to.

My hunch would be that the shoulder twitch may be entirely unrelated.  But others may think differently and have a suggestion about that.

James

• Posted

There was nothing unusual such as glue or other chemicals. Thanks for the response 
    • Posted

What about the foods you ate?  Could you have become intolerant of something you'd previously eaten ok?  Or did you eat anything different?

• Posted

I hadn't even eaten that morning when it happened. I also had eaten anything unusual the day before. 

• Posted

Any shots, immunizations etc lately?

What about chronic stress?

• Posted

I haven't had and shot or immunizations lately. I don't think I have had any stress beyond what I normally feel periodically. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.