FINALLY I'V DONE IT !!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Having wavered forever I  now have a date for my hip replacement.

After consulting 3 different surgeons who all recommended THR I have finally made the decision.

Because unlike most people I have not been in serious pain, I was reluctant to undergo a serious operation.

I have been told that my problem is a joint deformity which prevents me from standing upright.I walk with a nasty limp bent over and leaning to one side.

This is not a good look and also limits how far I can walk without becoming exhausted. Pain sets in after 15-20 mins and hip sometimes gives way without warning.

I hope I have made the right decision to go ahead.

My op. date is 29th September.

Now I am panicking !! So much to consider,How will I dress myself,put on trousers/knickers/socks/trainers?How will I wash and dry my feet?

Will I be able to make my bed? Access food in under counter frig?

Climb in and out of bath? My shower is over bath!

The 90 degree rule scares me to death, how to be sure I won't bend too far,just getting up from a chair or out of bed I seem to lean forward for leverage. 

Thank goodness for this wonderful forum with ready responses to every query however daft it might seem to non hippies.

Thank you all for just being there!!

From a very nervous

Joy x

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Joy.

Good descision, I had THR right hip 10 days ago.

The first 4-5 days are a challenge you will need help then with many daily tasks, but I have been surprised just how quickly I have taken these tasks back for myself! Still struggle putting on socks!!!

Completely off pain killers after about a week and each day able to put more weight on operated leg.

The hospital will issue you things to help raised loo seat grabber to pick things up off the floor etc I was even lent a chair which was the correct height to sit in! (Our furniture was all to low) plan ahead to make your life as easy as possible for first week if you have limited help. Not sure how you will be able to get in bath.

Good luck

Graham.

• Posted

Thank you  Graham

Your example is encouraging.For ten days you are sounding really positive!!

My furniture is unsutable too,armless units which push together rather than a sofa.I also have a swivel rocking recliner which I love but it is soft and squashy and manually operated needing force of both legs to put down the leg rest.

I have found an upright fireside chair at a charity shop.Just need to work out height needed so I can order raisers for the legs.

I have found a toilet frame with arm rests at the charity shop and also a zimmer frame.

The toilet frame is independent of toilet seat raiser,but I already find having arm rests is handy.Just need to get separate seat raiser and hope that will work once I know how high it needs to be.

Have bought a grabber online.

What really scares me is the 90 degree rule,so afraid of moving awkwardly and messing up.

Limited help is an understatement.I live alone and am used to being totally independent.

I am impressed that you are off pain killers so soon.I hate taking medication of any kind so hope I can follow your example.

Well done to you and good luck for your ongoing recovery.

Joyx

• Posted

Hi Joy,

Well done! We are all terrified to make this decision. But it was a good decision for me and I am even having my second hip replaced in September. So ...please don't second guess yourself now - esp with three surgeons recommending that you go ahead with it.

Re preparations - my first piece of advice is to look at a website created by one of the forum members. He is a wise and humorous man - a 63 year old computer engineer in Hertfordshire, UK who created a layman's guide for THR (a 'hippy' web page) - the link is in the pinned discussion at https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

He and his website are brilliant and offer so much advice and general information. Please give it a good read and come back with specific questions for our wonderful forum to address. It has truly been a gift - advice, friendship and a kind shoulder or ear.

Best wishes,

L

• Posted

Many thanks Linda

Making the decision was a hurdle now overcome.No going back on it now.

Totally agree that the website created by the lovely Graham (Rocketman) is brilliant.

Being a bit techno phobic I don't always understand the jargon.(pinned ?) Struggle with accessing what I want and frequently lose my posts mid sentence.

(Lost this one and had to start over.)

You so right about the feeling of friendship and always someone there to help and advise.

All the best to you

Joy x

• Posted

Yes ... the system can get very wonky at times! I actually have a better result using it on my tablet rather than my desktop (I think the ads are less intrusive for some reason). Two tricks (garnered from others) - if your post starts getting longish, copy it and paste it into your clipboard or document, email, etc. That way, if an ad interferes or 'submit' hangs up, you dont have to start over completely. And Rocketman advises that there is way to 'turn off' the ads but I haven't managed it.

Big hugs,

L

• Posted

There was a way to turn off the ads, but I have them back now too ........ perhaps something on the website has changed.  I guess we can't complain, after all it's all done free, so the advertising must pay for it all.

The website was an idea to gather all the useful info on this forum, from so many generous friends who I will never meet.

• Posted

I have no probs with ads. just with my own lack of skill to navigate the internet.

What I really meant was techno inadequacy.

Don't like vacuuming much myself.!

• Posted

Yep - I know,

I have been a computer engineer for 48 years now, but modern techno gadetry is hard for me too - video recorders, mobiles, facebook  ..... eek

• Posted

Hi Joy,

Oh I think you have definitely made the right decision. You need to get on with living without pain, no matter how well you think you were coping.

Firstly, I would look around your house and view it as if you have had the operation. So how accessible are the rooms, do you need to rearrange things temporarily until you are recovered. For example, you can put essential dishes, pots and pans on the work surface etc. With the grabber and practice, you will be able to get things out of the fridge.

Things I found useful:

1. I have a large step into my house so I bought a half step from Amazon for £10. This helped me no end!!

2. I got an extra toilet seat as I have more then one toilet and didn't want to be constantly taking them off to move them

As I said before look at your house through different eyes...planning can be so good!!!!

Then I had my personal lair ?? I got myself a table at chair height that would be big enough for all the things I would need to hand. I also got a small bag to put on my crutches/stick so I easily carry things if I needed to.

If you are in the UK you will get a grabber, a toilet seat, a long handled sponge, a long handled shoe horn and an implement to put your socks on. If you think you might need a perching stool for kitchen use (so you can sit while the kettle is boiling etc) you can hire things from the British Red Cross, which means you are not buying expensive equipment that you might not use again.

Re: the bath situation....if you look on YouTube there are videos on there which show you how to get into a bath sideways with the aid of stick which does not compromise the 90 degree rule, it depends on the height of your bath and you would need something to hold onto. Again they do suction grab handles on Amazon, they are not brilliant and I wouldn't like to put my full weight on them but they helped me. Once in the bath you will need a shower stool to sit on. Again Amazon or the Bristish Red Cross.

It might be a good idea to do some batch cooking and freeze l, then this way you will have access to your own food after the op. I made soup etc.

Not sure if any of that has helped Joy, but good luck with the planning. I liked it because it gave me some control over the situation.

Best wishes

Jacqui

• Posted

Thank you Jaqui

I started a reply but it vanished in the middle.That happens so often.It is more difficult than normal emails!

Anyway your advice is much appreciated.I have started to imagine myself home from hospital and have rearranged things as much as pos.to make moving around easier.

I live in a small flat which seemed a good idea when I decided to downsize.However it is rather cluttered with little room to move around.

I have purchased a handy trolley which seems to work as a walker also, and will be good for keeping everything to hand when I am less mobile.Already so useful for my tea tray or tv meals, a really great buy.

Living alone I find my essential plates /dishes and pots and pans can stay on the work surface. and my oven and microwave are waist high.

I have been making a lot of soups which can be frozen and always make extra whatever I cook so that meals can be plated up for the freezer.

Planning ahead is in my DNA sometimes to excess according to others,but better to be prepared than not.

It's the 90 degree rule that I worry about being awkward and accident prone by nature!

Hopefully after I see an OT some of the worries will be calmed.

Many thanks for your wise words.

Just sharing info. helps so much.

All the best to you too.

Joy x

• Posted

Hi Joy, I found planning helped me. Gave me some control over the whole process. 

If you have more than one toilet get two raised toilet seats. Sometimes a combined raised toilet seat and frame is easier to manage. This gives you "arm rests" either side to help you push up to stand. 

You should have an opportunity to discuss how you will manage with an Occupational Therapist before the surgery. They should be able to loan you any equipment such as chair/ sofa/bed raisers. 

With regard to the over bath shower they will suggest a shower board or a swivel bather. You would sit to transfer on to the board and remain sitting to have a shower. 

I also had one grabber upstairs by my bed and one next  to my raised sofa. 

A good idea I saw on here is to have a plastic bin next to the bed and sofa to keep sticks and grabbers within reach. Nothing worse than them falling on the floor!

Also you can reach down lower if you are carefull and hold on to something by taking your operated leg out to the back. Ask the Occupational Therapist or Physio to demonstrate it for you. 

Plan away. It really does help. 

Try not to worry too much. We all get through one way or another!

Take care. X

• Posted

Hi Kris

Thank you for your reply and the handy suggestions. The bin for grabbers is a useful tip.Also reaching down with op leg behind is just the kind of advice I needed.

I don't think a shower board will work as bulit in furniture in my small bathroom leaves too little space between bath screen and wall.

I hope I can be taught to climb in and out safely.

Hopefully I will get guidance from an Oc.Therapist. Just don't want to leave anything to chance.

As you say planning ahead really helps.

Many thanks for your wise words

Joyx

• Posted

Hi Gloria. I had both hips replaced. Before you leave the hospital they will give you a class on how to get in and out of your car, walk up and down steps etc. An occupational therapist will meet with you to show you how to get your clothes on and off and deal with your every day life needs. Good luck with your surgery.
    • Posted

Thank you Melissa

Your comments are really reassuring.

Both hips and you are so positve!

Hoping to see an OT soon.That will set my mind at rest.

Best wishes

Joyx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.