Mom not made to stand on Day 1, afraid of DVT

Posted , 14 users are following.

My 62yo mom had her THR surgery today which took over 3 hours as she had DDH and a weak bone structure in her left hip. She was given epidural anesthesia and was fine all day after the surgery except a vomit after her first mouth intake of tea and biscuit.

However, unlike many THRs, the doc said they'll make her stand/walk the next morning. Because of this, I'm scared of DVT now. Although they're giving her blood thinners and put some 24/7 blood circulator belts on both her legs (calves I think) and the doc advised her ankle motion exercise on both legs and some other exercise to push the operated leg's thigh downwards and back up (she was having difficulty/pain doing that).

So basically, she's fine with the pain, etc but they didn't make her leg mobile today itself. Did all of you guys stand on Day 1 itself?

1 like, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi on both my hip replacements I didn't stand until the next day after op xx Hopefully she is also wearing surgical stockings to be kept on for the 6 weeks or at least 4 if she is mobile x Hope this helps xx

• Posted

Hi Vanessa ty for your reply Hun... I didn't see any stockings today.. I'll check about it tomorrow

• Posted

Yes make sure you do its very important to prevent DVT I have heard of people being sent out without them which is not good your mum definitely needs to be wearing them after such a big op x Hope your mum recovers well x
    • Posted

Ty dear .. I think they'll give the stockings after removing that leg pump .. Just read on google they use either pump or stockings

• Posted

They tod me if I have my surgery (Aug9) in the morning I will be up that afternoon and if afternoon surgery then the next morning. The compression things on legs is standard, as is heal pumps ( exercises). Best of luck!,  glad Mom has her surgery done! Now for her recovery!
    • Posted

Oh okay... Any idea why they didn't put the stockings on though?

• Posted

Might be because she has the pump thing at the moment pretty sure they will put them on xx
    • Posted

Yes I agree with Vanessa,  the pump will be replaced with the stockings when she is discharged. All the best to Mom hugs to you both I saaw my Mom through a THR 17 years ago she was 74 at the time.
  • Posted

They seem to have her covered with everything concerning DVT.. I,had both of my hips replaced and they had me up and walking 100 to 2 00 feet the first day....I have a family history of Factor V Leiden..It causes blood clots .half of my family are on blood thinners ..3 sisters and my mother and 2 uncles and a couple of cousins ...I had to take lovenoxs for 6 weeks and now im on asprin 325mg .to provent DVT ..I'm doing good no clots and im 9 weeks out from second hip done and 9 months from 1st hip and never had a clot .I did those ankle exercise religiously .plus I dont smoke so I think thats one of the reason I didnt get any clots as all of my family members that that have DVT smoke.Your mother seems to be in good hands good luck to her and wishing for a speedy recovery ..

• Posted

I was out of bed and standing the next day. Mechanical leg pumps as well as anticoagulants to prevent DVT. Self injected the anticoagulant for 5 weeks, plenty of exercises whilst in bed. Never had stockings, it depends in hospital surgeon policy. There is always anti DVT treatment, one or more of injectable or oral anticoagulants or stockings. Check which policy your hospital follows and make sure your mom follows that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.