Can Landsoprazole casuse or add to depression?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 65 year old male, Five years ago I was diagnosed with mild type 2 diabetes, and prescribed 2 x 500mg Metformin and 1X40mg Simvastatin a day.

Since then my general mental sharpness has slowly declined, I had increasing lethargy and tiredness, poor memory, and my moods have become very morose and cynical. I put this down to the diabetes and ageing generally. However, a year or so ago a new doctor noticed I was also on Naproxen for an arthritic knee, and put me on 15mg of Lansaprozole a day to 'protect my stomach' from the Naproxin (though I had had no stomach problems) Lately I have begun to lose interest in things which have always interested me, and get little enjoyment from life. It has also made me aggressive at times and led to some poor decisions. This has recently got to the point where I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and I have even contemplated suicide. All of this is very different to the 'old me'. I have general good health, and though I have the average range of things to worry about, looked at objectively, to me they seem insurmountable now.

I had a crisis recently and went to my GP who diagnosed depression. He has changed my statin, and put me on antidepressants and therapy with the local mental health team. He did not alter the Landsoprazole, though I have stopped taking it anyway.

I have no previous mental health problems and no family history of it. I know that that Simvastatin has been reported as causing depression in some people. I am not saying it has been solely responsible, but maybe as a contributor in y case. The question is, will Landsoprazole have added to the depressive effect? Has anyone else noticed depressive effects of Landsoprazole?

How typical is this? How long will it take me to recover? Any advice?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about your 'problems' my sister was on statins for a while and they gave her all sorts of

weird dreams and mood swings, she stopped them altogether and has been ok since, she is 70 although my husband is on statins simvastatin and has been ok no problems at all.

I myself took lanzoprazole and never really felt well on them at all, tearful not at all happy but I do hate taking pills, I stopped them and it took a while but I am back to the normal me - what ever that is - I just try to control my health with diet now and watch the foods I eat.

• Posted

I've been on the same medication for the last 28 days. The Landsoprazole really helped the burning sensation in my stomach but now having started a new box of them have experienced some very odd effects. Anxiety, feeling low, short tempered, aggressive, at my wits end. Also a sick feeling sensation. I'm not sure if it's the on going use???

I have been prescribed these tablets for Gastritus but I'm wondering if it's the original symptoms returning or is it the use of the drugs??

I'm normally a regular guy with none of these issues.

Any ideas ?

• Posted

Hello Simon,

I'd go back to your doctor and discuss it there if |I were you. I had slowly building side effects and just didn't consider it could be side effects until it got to crisis level. It may or may not be in your case, but don't just ignore it and soldier on. I did and it landed me in trouble.

Best wishes,

Duncan

• Posted

Thanks Duncan I will do just that.

It's interesting to hear that the side effects were slow to build as well. I'm not sure how long these drugs stay in your system for ?? Having read various articles I believe it can be up to 2 weeks.

Like you I have researched the side effects and although the ones mentioned here appear to be rare, they do exist.

It's so very strange as I took a 28 day course and was prescribed a further 28 days but for some reason I now appear to have the side effects??? Can't understand it but as you mentioned, it feels as though you don't know if you're coming or going and normal routines are a muddle. I can't explain it but know there's obviously something not right.

I've made the decision to stop the tablets immediately and will not be taking anymore. I intend to return to the GP to have a discussion about the way it's made and making me feel.

I totally empathise with you about all what you've written and although it doesn't assist you I feel some what reassured it's not just me going through the same side effects. I've examined every detail about my diet and the only thing that I can identify is this tablet which is the only contributing factor to the way I am feeling currently.

I will post again here to let you know how I progress but wish you well. Keep your chin up.

Regards,

Simon

• Posted

Hi Simon I was also prescribed the landsoprazole for gastritis after months of stomach cramps and severe pain and many test and initially they work no question, it helped keep the acid down whilst my stomach healed, then I found that the effects of taking tablets were becoming more noticeable, I felt like I was full all the time, even after eating many hours before, I felt tearful and had this sort of ballooning effect just under my rib cage, I stopped taking them and kept clear of any foods that contained acids substances, such as oranges or juices etc and eat as much fresh cooked foods with very little processed, it seems to have balanced out taken me 6 months but feel I am there now. I have not had a reoccurrence of the gastritis but now and then when trying foods etc had few cramps but nothing I couldn't overcome. I went back to doctors several times but felt I was getting absolutely no where so took my own route, however, that obviously does not apply to everyone and if you have any doubts you should have it checked out just to be sure
  • Posted

Thanks for your post mrsmo. It's interesting to hear that you found the side effects build over time. Like you i would rather manage the burning sensations than the effects I feel come from the medication.

I would be really interested to hear from anyone else who may of experienced any side effects with this medication?

I hope your are back to health now. Did you feel sick while taking the tablets? Also what other symptoms did u experience?

Thanks,

Simon

• Posted

I find that the burning sensations can be alleviated by gavison liquid sachets but never rennies, it certainly helps also I drink a lot of water especially at night before I go to bed it seems to keep any discomfort to an absolute minimum. I have also found that not eating after 5 (at least 5 hours before bedtime) is good this gives the acid time to settle after digestion, silly tips but they seem to work.

Feeling 100 % better than I did for sure, I seem to be able to control it 99% of the time, with the odd flare up but then I can usually see what I have eaten to cause it and the bonus is I lost a little weight which for a woman is always good!

Yes I did feel sick and that I found totally unpleasant it seem to come on in waves, absolutely horrid, god luck with your health hope some of the things I have mention work.

• Posted

Hi Simon,

I have been taking Lansoprazole for probably fifteen years to stop acid reflux. This did stop and I have been able to eat a full unrestricted diet since I started, something I couldn't do before taking this medicine.

However, obviously I have found this forum because of problems I have been having concerning dark thoughts, a slowing down of my thought process and feelings of despair even leading to considering suicide! I have become obsessive about an event concerning my wife of forty years, which occurred two years before we married, and could not sleep or eat properly.

I stopped taking the pills and my mood almost instantly improved and as I was missing eating foods I enjoy, I started taking the pills again two days ago. Last night and this morning my dark moods have returned (during a sleepless night) and I have concluded that there must be a connection between Lansoprazole and the onset of depression.

Like you, I have always had a positive and happy approach to life, and my wife has commented that this is all "not like me"

I will be seeing my GP as soon as I can to seek and alternative to this mind changing drug!

• Posted

Hi Simon,

Thank you, and everyone else, for writing about this. My five-year old daughter, Katie, has been taking Lansoprazole 30 mg for about a month. During this past month I have seen her melt down over seemingly minor things. Her kindergarten teacher told me she is being aggressive in class, not listening, etc. The teacher, a very competent teacher who handles things very nicely in the classroom, is at a loss for how to get Katie to behave. This is all very recent. Today, the bus driver told me that she had to stop the bus twice on the way home to get Katie in line. Katie was having a disagreement with a friend and was standing up and yelling at the little girl while the bus was in motion. My daughter isn't perfect, but this is unusual behavior for her, and it's also very recent as far as I know. I just knew there must be a connection between the aggression/depression and the Lansoprazole. I saw the crying meltdowns at home as well as a general inability to control herself. I am waiting to hear back from the doctor about this, but I'm so concerned that I began looking online and I am so relieved to have found this site. It's hard for me to know what's going on inside my daughter. It's even harder for her, at 5 years old, to make a connection between her behavior and the medication. My concern about going off is that she has a lot of acid reflux. But...I can't allow her to be mentally tortured anymore either. She is not old enough to be able to control herself when a medication gets ahold of her mind like this. It takes her by storm and in her eyes, I'm sure her anger or frustration or despair is appropriate. I will wait to hear from the doctor on this, but I am pretty confident that we are going to need to find another alternative. Oh...someone mentioned a lack of appetite on the medication. Katie has nearly stopped eating her lunch at school. She often comes home having only eaten the applesauce I pack for her. After today's incident on the school bus, Katie told me, "I think I know what the problem is. I had a brownie at school today." She was given a brownie for an afternoon birthday celebration. Sugar can make her a bit bonkers sometimes. She knows this. She seems to be trying to figure out what's happening, too. Maybe she's even more susceptible to the sugar-bonkers on the medication. At any rate, it's good to know she's not the only one experiencing this. Well, not good because I hate to see anyone struggle, but good because it confirms what I suspected. Thanks for your help. I hope we're all able to get to a place where things feel great.

• Posted

I can't really comment on Katie's case, but I did suffer from aggression as part of my problems. Again, I am not sure if it was the Landsoprazole or the Statins, or both, or something different which caused my problems, but my doctor was happy for me to stop both until my depression is fully gone, and then only start again in a carefully controlled way - if at all.

Aggression is a known manifestation of depression, especially in males. I do not have a history of violence, and thanks goodness nothing got to the point of harm with me, but at my worst point I had a shouting match in front of a crowd in the street with our village idiot (who I have happily ignored for over 10 years), and was only second from hitting him when he saw what was coming and ran away. I was very ashamed when I calmed down, and realised that this was just not me. Together with a few other similar things it was what finally persuaded me to see my doctor.

There are plenty of other medications and treatments your doctor can try and Landsoprazole is simply the commonest on their list. Side effects do not affect everyone the same and most people do not have any. However for those affected it can be serious, so you need to talk to your doctor, and keep talking until you get the right solution. Your doctor may say Kate's problem is something different, you'll have to look in to that, butt if your doctor says there can't be side effects at all - change doctors.

• Posted

Thank you. I got a call from the doctor last night. They agreed we should take her off the med for a few days to see if things improve. Coincidentally, we have an appointment with a pediatric naturopathic doctor for eating issues Katie has. He specializes in GI, eating, etc. and is a big proponent of trying to do things for kids without using drugs. Maybe he can help us figure out the cause of the reflux so we can fix it instead of medicate it.

Also, your episode with the village idiot...I can empathize. I was feeling pretty out of sorts myself for a couple of years (felt like I had a lack of impulse control). After multiple suggestions from multiple doctors (none worked; only made me feel worse), I went on a friend's seemingly crazy suggestion to eliminate gluten from my diet. I thought she was crazy, but I was willing to try anything. It actually really helped, but it was hard to stick to. Eventually I called a GI and made an appointment to get tested for Celiac (had to go back on gluten to do the testing). It turns out that I have Celiac disease and it was causing a lot of irritability, aggression, depression, and a host of other problems. I've had my daughter tested (negative), but it will always be inthe back of my mind for her since it doesn't always show up on tests until enough damage is done. It may sound like a long shot, but if you could manage trying it for 2-3 weeks, you could see if there's any change. The first 5 days were rough (withdrawals that made me more irritable), but it was really worth it.

Thanks again. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.