I am female and 36 years old. I had a bunionectomy and ...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am female and 36 years old. I had a bunionectomy and osteotomy on November 16th at Washington Hospital Center (washington, dc). The first 2 days postop were not that painful for me. Perhaps, I did not feel as much pain as others because I took my medication every 4 hours (1 tablet of Percocet) around the clock for the first 2 days. The doctor suggested 1 tablet every 6 hours as needed. After my first 2 days, there was no need for Percocet. I was using crutches for the first two weeks and kept my foot elevated (in a cast) the majority of time. My cast was taken off at 4 1/2 weeks postop. I was still using a surgical shoe for another 2 weeks and then I wore a soft tennis shoe that was a half size larger than what I normally wear. I am doing a massage on my scar and excercises for my toe. Initially, I was extremely concerned about the amount of joint stiffness but as time goes on it seems to be less stiff. Also, the range of motion has improved as well. It is now 10 weeks postop and I can run TWO MILES with comfort!!! I tried to run 3 miles but my foot started to really hurt. My doctor does see me once a week for some type of sonogram heat treatment. (sorry I don't know exactly what it is called at the moment). My doctor wants to see me once a week until I can run 3 miles without discomfort. Hopefully, that will happen soon. I still do my toe exercises several times during the day. I am a MARATHON RUNNER and would be very excited to get back to my 24 miles base running during the week and 10miles on Saturday. Currently, I can run only 6-8 miles for the entire week. My aunt who is age 52 is currently a RUNNER and she had the same procedure done on one foot in her late 30's. I will consider the surgery a success if I can get back to my usual running program. I seem to be slowly progressing towards my goal. I hope this message will give people a more positive outlook about this type of procedure. GOOD LUCK!!

[i:ab29f45a69]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ab29f45a69]

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi J.T.

Your post seems positive. My Op is in 2 weeks and I'm looking at experiances to make sure I'm doing the right thing, my bunion looks bad but pain is more like an ache but I'm sure will get worse as I get older?

How you doing now? You seemed to be doing well running 8 miles in a week as I was told I would have to be off work for 3 months. I walk 6 miles, 2 days a week and will miss that, but glad to here your doing well as have read about couple of bad experiances.

Check out my post. Take care,

Claire. smile

• Posted

I am really keen to know how long it took you to get back into your marathon running? I am also a runner and, of course, am finding the inactivity very frustrating! I had both feet done 9 days ago and they are pretty painful at the moment.
  • Posted

Hi,

Sorry I'm not a runner but walk to keep weight off, I'm now 20wks preg so don't walk as far now but I would say a couple of months.

Remember to do physo on toe to keep stiffness away. rub moisture cream on scar when healed to lessen redness of scar.

I'm 100% now and glad I had op.

Let me know how things go.

Regards,

Claire.

• Posted

I'm also a runner and would be interested if anyone has had the surgery and ran again anywhere from a 5k to a full marathon after. I had Lapidus 8/24/15, so only 13 days PO thus far. So far so good in my healing.
    • Posted

Hi kaliana

i had both feet done at the same time (lapidus, Atkins and hammer toe release) nov 27th last year. Although I'm not a runner, I'm a walker and could manage 3 miles about 12 weeks and did over 5 miles at 16 weeks, slow at first, but have speeded up since.

the thing that bothered me, was the lack of muscle tone, and the fast rate of wastage during the 6 weeks recovery period. That hurt, and took time to recover from.

i can happily walk for 10-12 miles each day for a fortnight, but, although my feet seize up overnight, it was my thighs that hurt more.

but no blisters, which in itself is a miracle!

just have patience, and expect to have one step forward, 2 backwards in the early days.

dont push yourself and keep positive and you'll be able to run that marathon after the 12 month.

caroline

• Posted

Caroline,

Thank you so very much for your response! It gives me much hope that I'll be back up and running (literally) at some point! Enjoy your walks! I can't wait until I walk again but I'll remain patient. I won't be doing anything to undo the surgery and my subsequent healing! Take Care!

• Posted

Hi

How have you been since having your surgery almost a year ago?   I live in the DC/Maryland area and wanted to know who your physician was that did the surgery? I need to go back in for more surgery.  My middle metatarsals should have been shortened when I had my bunionectomy/osteotomy and werent, therefore causing stress fractures and torn ligaments in my metatrsals  I had the surgery 1  1/2 year ago.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.