I'm 26 and just had a marsupilation of bartholin cyst si...

Posted , 97 users are following.

I'm 26 and just had a marsupilation of bartholin cyst six days ago. I was not at all prepared for how it would look afterwards and have been in a lot of discomfort since!! I've also been somewhat concerned that the area is very bruised and feels hard, but perhaps after only a week this is normal whilst the area is healing. I would have hoped to have had a little more information from the hospital as this was limited and i guess i felt unprepared for afterward the op. Anyways, i'm hoping it heals nicely and that i have no more reoccurrences – fingers crossed. Furthermore i was told by my surgeon that Marsupilation is meant to be the best procedure – whether others agree would be interesting to know…

Secondly i have to say that although I think this website is useful to share information I guess as a new suffer myself it would have been nice to see more positive feedback and success stories because after reading all the comments I was quite horrified at the reoccurrences and left doubting whether I should have left well alone as opposed to having surgical treatment!!

I would be grateful to hear if anyone has any marsupilation success stories...

:D

[i:3453e93364]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3453e93364]

4 likes, 166 replies

166 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I am due to have marsup soon. I am 28yrs.

I would be interested to know how your recovery goes and also with the issue of sex... how long to wait, etc.

[i:8aa260e05e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8aa260e05e]

• Posted

I just had the marsupilation  done about eight  days ago and they recommend you hold off on sex for two weeks but I have had non-stop discomfort which I’m hoping will always soon after the two weeks.  My doctor said it’s normal to feel this discomfort until it’s fully healed which I hope will be soon. I hope this will help
    • Posted

Hi Naomi, I just wanted to ask you as the most recent poster on here, how long did it take for you to heal completely? It's been 3 weeks since my op and I am still hurting when wiping after passing urine and it's still a little uncomfortable to sit down for too long (which is a pain because my job is literally sitting down for 8 hours), doesn't help I'm currently on as well at the moment so everythings a touch more sensitive but yeah. Just wanted to ask before I book in with my gp for a check up on it.

• Posted

That's my question. How long does it take to heal and will there be a large opening forever? I have to have to surgery and I'm worried. 

• Posted

I checked mine last night after posting this and it's healed a lot better than I thought it would have. You can't really see anything till you go looking and the scars not big at all. Mines still not closed yet and there's still a few stitches in place but definitely get it drained it's not with the pain x

• Posted

Thanks Sarah! I figured it would be a permanent opening. I guess when it finally heals the regular duct should reopen. Thanks!!
  • Posted

hi

like you had a marsup 3 days ago

had the cyst drained a yr ago only for it to return very promptly

have considerable swwelling bruising and still in alot of pain

how long did u need painkillers for and until u were comfortable again?

[i:5df7a200f2]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5df7a200f2]

• Posted

I had marsup on July 10th. I was also very terrified before the surgery because I was not finding any positive comments as I researched the situation. I also began to doubt if I should just leave the cyst alone, or go through this process which sounded painful and pointless. My cyst started very small but over time grew to the size of a small orange. I wasn't in very much pain, but was uncomfortable. I decided to go a head and take a chance with the surgery. My dr. let me know that it was the best surgery for my situation, but let me know there was a chance it could come back.

Today is September 14th and I am 100% recovered and doing well. I felt like the healing process took a lot longer than my dr had said, which was frustrating. However, I am glad I was patient and now I feel perfect again and no giant lump! smile I am back to all my daily activities, and yes that includes intercourse. I have no pain with anything that I do, and am now just hoping and praying for no reoccurences.

I hope these positive words help someone, because I know how discouraged I felt when I found no positive comments about the surgery.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your positive post!

I'm just writing to you to ask how long it took for you to heal? I got mine done nearly 4 weeks ago, and I'm wondering how long more it would take smile

Thanks for you answer in advance! 

• Posted

I am happy to hear you had a great recovery! Did you have any reoccurrences since your procedure? 
    • Posted

Hi there, hope you don't mind asking a question ,but did the hole they made during the marsupialization fully close?If so, how long did the healing process take? I had my op 3 weeks ago and am doubting that I will ever look or feel normal again :-(
    • Posted

Hi

Thank u fr the positive post. I am due fr marsp and getting it done tomorrow. Just wanted to know did u hv any chances of recurrence and did u face any problems later on.

Thank you

• Posted

Sara,

How did yours heal? The doctor is talking to me about marsupilization and I'm nervous. Do you still have a hole?

• Posted

Hi I wanted to know if u went through with the marsupilization surgery because I’m thinking about having it done and if u could refer me to some doctors if possible 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.