L-Lysine and Shingles

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have heard that L-Lysine is good for Shingles. Has anyone else heard this and where do you get them from?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

In the US I got L-Lysine tablets at Rite-Aid drug store. 500mg. I take one a day. It has stopped my reoccurring outbreaks of shingles. It helps balance your system. It is cheap & easy.

Good luck!

Sue

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will have a look here in the UK for the 500 mg ones.
  • Posted

In the US they sell it next to the vitamins.

hope it works for you!

Let me know.

Sue

• Posted

Holland and Barrett have it here in the uk. I am going to try it. It seems that it has worked for a lot of people.

Hope it works for me.

• Posted

I certainly will pop into Holland and Barrett as we have a shop in the town here. Willing to try anything once (well not quite everything but you know what I mean).Thank you.
  • Posted

I thought I would update you all. We are now well into our 4th week and soon will be 5th. Hubby is still in agony and yes still has the odd spot that is weeping but the main rash is there but not so prominent. I went to the local Heath Store to get the L-lysine tablets. These are 1000 mg and he is having one a day. He has only started them today so cannot blame the pain on them. He is taking one Amitriptyline 25mg tablet every 12hours, they are as good as useless as far as easing the pain is concerned. I went to Boots the chemist today and spoke to the pharmacist and he said there is a cream that can be prescribed butonly on prescription and it is very expensive. If someone is suffering I dont think money comes into it. When will someone come up with the answer after all this is the 21st Century.

Absolutely come to the end of knowing what to do.

• Posted

Oh dear it sounds like he is suffering. Is it the actual rash or the nerve pains. Or is it just both. I have had it now. For nearly five weeks. I get it at the bottom of my spine. It was starting to ease last week but then another crop of spots came up. Then all the pain again down my leg. It makes you feel so tired. I started the L-lysine 2 days ago. I'm crossing my fingers. I do find paracetamol helps if the pain gets really bad. I have read that

Nuts, seeds, soy products red wine all contain something which is a hoast to the virus. I changed my diet last year to include more of the above ( with the exception of red wine) I have had shingles virtually every 2 months since. I am cutting these out for a while to see if that helps.

I agree with you, you would think that there would be more known about this condition. It really is a nightmare. I hope your husband feels better soon and I hope for all of us the L-lysine works

• Posted

Yes it has helped not out of the woods yet. I have this burn on my right side below

my rib I take L-Lysine, mushroom tro and B12. I order it from Puritan's Pride cheaper

or walmart I seen this on this discussion site it does not burn as bad never no rash

good luck

• Posted

I swear by L-Lysine and so am interested to find out what your experience was Dixieb and 2kkf44
    • Posted

I was just about to reply to you but hubby has just gone arse over tip on the ice in our drive which is on a slope ,  so will reply later.  Didnt want you to think I had ignored you.

• Posted

I have looked through the meds history and cannot see L-Llysine, sorry.
  • Posted

I'm in the US, you appear to be in Great Britain so things may be a bit different. But was your husband prescribed the typical drugs which are recommended such as Lyrica or Neurontin (Gabapentin)? They have to be carefully monitored by a doctor but are quite useful for dealing with pain. Also lidocaine pain creams or patches are helpful. I'm not sure if you want to put them directly on active lesions. I have shingles on my back and chest but had few vessicles, so I put it on my back, following the nerve towards the front. I also supplement this with acetminophin, which does help me. I'm about 2 months post initial outbreak and am still on 700 mgs of Neurontin 3X a day, down from my previous high of 800 mgs 3 X a day.

• Posted

She's I take it for shingles my doc approved it . It has helped. Also take immunization after shingles break will help and boosters every few years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.