Shoes...sandals...first metatarsal osteotomy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi folks

I am now in my 5th week post op . Had first metatarsal osteotomy right foot and some arthritis removed. I have just started wearing my MBT sandals which at last gives me a balanced stand again. After surgery I had a bandaged foot and a big wedged Velcro shoe to wear which made moving about very awkward as my body was out of balance. The MBT sandals are velcro fastening and comfortable but I have to say my foot is still slightly swollen, but improving.

It has made such a difference reading this site and stopped me panicking that something has gone wrong, patience, time and elevation seems to be the three words you have to remember.

I am wondering if anyone else is still walking on their heel or side of foot still, I am trying to walk normal but the ball of my foot is still quite sore and my big toe still does not move much.

Does anyone else have the same problems.

Great reading the posts, keeps you sane and makes the day the bit brighter, hate being trapped in the house, there is only so times you can walk around the house and garden.

Good luck to you all...remember Patience, Time and Elevation.

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sandra

I had my op on 13th March,so am around 21days post op. Still in my heel wedge shoe and still unable to put on normal shoes. What is a MBT sandal? I am only ''heel weight bearing'' but am determined to start trying full weight bearing. Like you I am also starting to get tired of the house.

Good luck and likewise.... Ice and elevation are key.

Carmen

• Posted

Hi Carman

The MBT sandals...trainers.....shoes you can google. Not sure where you live but you must try on before you buy. I bought mine in Marlowe Buckinghamshire as I had injection therapy first to see if this would help movement in my big toe and relieve the pain and was told by the consultant I had to wear MBT's to support the toe. Obviously in this instance the injection therapy did not work hence the surgery.

I wear a padded dressing over the scar as still quite sore and some scabbing still, but apart from that these sandals are very comfortable and not ugly to wear and make your posture correct as you have to balance. At first it was a bit scary out of the wedge shoe but now getting easier. When tired and walking a bit further I wear the wedge shoe but weaning myself off the wedge shoe.

I try and bend the toe everyday every four to six hours and then rub Bio Oil over my foot and gentle massage all over especially the ball of the foot, this helps me reassure myself all is ok and touching and massaging feeling the difference especially no longer feeling pain when I touch.

Hope this helps, my next appt with the consultant is 25th April when I am hoping for the green light to go back to work.

Take care

Sandra

• Posted

Hi Everyone

I am now 6 weeks plus 5 days post op. I had a scarf osteotomy and cleilectomy to clear bone spurs caused

by arthritis. I was given the all clear to weight bear on my big toe after this period. I would be very wary of

trying to do this before given the OK by your consultant. You do not want to risk the outcome of the op. and have to repeat the procedure.

Once given the OK you must try and walk normally

and it will be painful. You will be given exercises by your consultant, where you will be told to push the toe to where it becomes uncomfortable and then push it a bit more. This is important to get full movement back. Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Sandra

I'm in Derbyshire. Will certainly Google the sandals. Got physio tomorrow which I'm not looking forward to! But I'm confident that whatever exercises they give will benefit in the end. Still got a very bruised and swollen foot.

Hi BIllos- good advice.

One thing this op has taught me is patience! I've had the capital (AUstin) osteotomy, with a screw holding it all together and have a about a 3inch scar.I also have cartlidge damage, which will require a further operation in the future. What I'm finding strange is that my ankle feels very tender and my other toes hurt.

Thanks

Carmen

• Posted

Hello Billos

Many thanks for your comments, you sound as though your op was similar to mine, did you have screws as well? I am a bit worried about these as I see in the notes it says from now on we have to be careful of Any knocks or accidents as we might have to have further surgery. Hopefully it just means major knocks and accidents and not just slight knocks.

I was told after 4 weeks to start trying to wear a comfortable shoe/trainer/sandal for about one hour a day and increase slowly until you can wear all day . At the moment I am only wearing for short bursts as the foot is quite swollen around the big toe and slightly around the ball of the foot and same place on top, but taking carefully and listen and looking at the foot and elevating.

Must admit not looking forward to pushing the pain level for correct walking 😳

• Posted

Hello Carmen

Make sure you if you do buy genuine MBT from a genuine stockist, they do sem expensive but well worth it and comfortable. I walked miles in them when on holiday and not one blister and great on plane journeys as allow for swollen feet.

I just have a about a 3inch scar down the side of my foot which is looking good, I am sure the Bio Oil is helping, my consultant recommended this.

Sandra

• Posted

Hello ladies. I hope you've found the other many forums about this same subject. I'm 5 weeks tomorrow. I still have a lot of swelling round the incision and old bunion site. I've been weight bearing from the start, everyone seems to be told different. I had flat Velcro shoes which were fine over the bandages but rub in all the wrong places now. Somewhere I have a pair of walking sandals, we moved last year and can I find them?! I think they'd be good to use, merrell is the make. I live in Bucks too!

I'm definitely finding if I walk too much I pay a huge price ie pain and more swelling so am trying to elevate when I can and still icing. Everyone's recovery of course will be a bit different. The scars are healing well but I still find myself walking on the side of my feet sometimes without realising it.

Good luck in your recoveries 👣👣

• Posted

Hi Vj

Yes I often laugh and visualise all of us walking on our heels no side of feet and wonder what we must look like. I am trying very hard to walk normal but am afraid the pain will come back, I think a lot of my worry is in my head and need to start trusting and try walk correctly, especially to stop bad posture.

My sandals get tight after I have walked a bit so take them off and elevate, this seems to work. Try your sandals I put padded dressing with a bit of tape on to protect the scar. I live in Berkshire but the shop that sells MBTs is in Bucks.

As you say everyone is different. And copes differently also we seem to be told different thing from our consultants.

Love this site it is keeping me on this planet and stopping me from worrying too much especially as it is normal everyday people who have actually gone through the operation and experienced pain and worry.

Take care everyone and remember we are all here to help each other x

Sandra

• Posted

Hi VJ/Sandra,

Lol I can imagine what we all look like! The padded dressing is a good idea, I'll remember that when I try sandals.

It's good to know that in one way or another we have/are experiencing very similar things.

Sandra I'll make sure they are genuine.

Carmen

• Posted

I use Melolin cushioned dressing pad 10cm x 10cm cut in half and I use Mefix tape, just gives me a comfort zone for my scar and does not stick to scar.

Sandra

• Posted

Thanks so much for the sandals advice. I have been in a big boot (camwalker) since week 2. Today I see the doctor (week 6) and I am hoping I will be able to begin wearing 'normal' shoes. I too am doing a funny crab walk when I don't have the boot on - laughing here about us women from all over doing the funny crab walk!

I can fit my foot into my Birkenstock clog but am thinking some velcro fastening sandals are what I need. I have been suffering from tendonitis in my operated foot (from before the surgery)and need an orthotic for that so it is how to put all the pieces together. I suspect I need to wait until I get advice from the doctor today. I am keen to have some physio since I want to try to reduce the tendonitis pain also.

Best, Beth

• Posted

MBTs come in trainers, shoes, sandals and boots so I am sure you would find something, just make sure you try before you buy, I had to buy a size bigger but because of the velcro were still decent to wear when my foot was a normal size, so did not mind spending the money.

Must admit I cannot wait to walk normal, but at the moment even a small walk, makes my foot swell but only on the big toe below and the ball of the foot otherwise all ok.

Happy pain free walking everyone

Sandra

• Posted

We've all been told different things and that gets a bit confusing when you're reading other posts! How does everyone think that their feet look now that the surgery has been done? I have had both bunions removed and my right foot is very pretty but I'm a bit worried about the left foot as it still looks as if it has a bump on it. Has anyone else got this problem?
  • Posted

I only had my left foot done. It does still have a bump and the big toe still leans in. My husband keeps telling me that it is much better than it was and that it looks better than my uncorrected right foot. I see the doctor. Today so I do hope it is ok. I will be very disappointed if it hasn't worked. Older Beth

• Posted

Hi Sandra

Yes I did have 2 screws inserted; they don't seem to be giving me any problems. As for the pain of doing

exercises, you must check with the consultant before you try. Generally it is the fear that you are damaging

something that stops you from pushing the joint. If your consultant says you won't do it any harm then you

feel more confident about doing it. I think some consultants are very much in favour of pushing the exercises hard and others less so. My consultant is a paediatric surgeon who initially trained as a podiatrist, hence he is more in favour of pushing the joint, rather than those that took the more traditional training route.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.