Stool medium brown mix with pale brown stool

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hey all

I've been having issues with the colour of my stools colour, it has seemed to be normal these past few days but yesterday it was a normal formed stool with half medium brown and other half very light brown. I have had issues with an ache in my back , but I've had an camera in the stomach, liver function tests ( this also looked at the function of the pancreas) and an ultra sound. These were ok. Is it possible it was just diet related?

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds like it could be. I had similar and similar tests. I think that any colour is ok as long as it's brown. Light or dark doesn't matter . 
  • Posted

Hi mwight87. For over two weeks I have had a change in my stool colour. They used to be medium to dark brown. Then suddenly I started passing light brown  stools, like golden brown or simikar to the colour plain cardboard. I ve had back pain for a while and three weeks ago started having persistent nausea.Like you both  my doctor and A&E did liver pancreas kidneys function tests through blood test. They also checked for stomack infection  blood count glucose......I had an US last Thursday and the radiologist said he could see all my organs very clearly and that everything was normal.They looked at pancreas liver gallbladder and kidneys. THE BLOOD RESULTS were also normal. But the pain hasnt gone although the nausea has subsided probably caused by anxiety. They prescribed anxiety tablets which Ive been taking for two weeks. Like you Im really worried. I think they may have missed something and Im terrified of going to the toilet because I worry about this change in the colour. Before stool colour change I was taking prescribed chinese herbs and pregnacare conception. I stpped both when I started feeling the nausea. I'd been taking the herbs for over a year as well as the pregnacare which is a multivitamin that contains iron although in low doses. Its also highly likely the herbs contained liquorice roots as it is commonly used in chinese herb prescriptions for fertility. Ive read that both liquorice root and multivitamins with iron can contribute to darker brown stools.Could stopping the  herbs as well as the pregnacare multivitamins contribute to the change in stool colour to lighter brown?. Pls could someone answer?. The probl has been going for over two weeks now and im concerned it could be something serious to do with ni having enough bile in the stools due to blockage in the billiary ducts or worst pancreatic cancer or tumours blocking the ducts. I know US didnt reveal any abnormal growths but because I dont seem to have an answer to the probl. Im extremely worried.

sorry for the long message.

• Posted

Hi Tuesday1,

It is my understanding that light color stools is due to lack of bile which would possibly indicate a liver and/or gallbladder problem.  If you do not have enough bile to emulsify fats, that could contribute or be the cause of nausea.  If your back pain is located behind your right shoulder blade, that would also be another indication of a gallbladder problem.   I would urge you to research the use of liquorice root.  In my research of this in the past, you should only use this for short periods of time - about two weeks.  My sister was given this some time ago and the Dr. neglected to inform her of this.  She was given this to regulate her blood pressure;  I am not sure what other benefits it has, but have heard from many sources that you need to take care when taking this.  If you suspect gallbladder then it would be good to stay away from fatty foods for awhile and see if any change occurs.  You also can't go wrong by taking a good probiotic for your digestive system and drink lots of water.  Hope you are able to find the answers you are looking forsmile.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply but they have done liver pancreas kidney function tests and they came back normal. I also had an ultrasound last thurs and they could see all the organs very  clearly. Pancreas gallbladder liver kidneys stomach.....They didnt see any tumours or anything abnormal. I understand they check for obstructions in the ducts. They said everything was normal. The nausea is gone. Im just very depressed and worry. High levels of anxiety this year........I dont have pain inthe shoulder blade either.X
    • Posted

Light, medium and dark brown are all okay. When its very light brown (approaching a milky white or grey colour) its caused by the following:

1. You have a bile duct blockage.

2. You have moderate to severe dehydration stopping your production of bile. Constipation will also be experienced with this one.

3. Your diet is full of no or low fat foods so the bile has nothing to react with.

4. Your forcing stools before the bile has had time to react fully.

The excrutiating pain from gallstone attacks is easy to relieve. Just sit back with a hot water bottle behind the spot. It will relax the muscles.

If prone to gallstone attacks you might want to consider cleaning out with epsom salts every 3 months. They dilate the bile ducts causing 99% of stones to slip through.

• Posted

Hello. I'm having the same issues. Except no back pain. But stool is lighter and it looks like it's mixed with beige strands on it. Did you ever find out what's wrong
    • Posted

I agree with the probiotics!  It may help with the depression and nausea, and tiredness too!  Our country has been so big on the sugars, and that makes for yeast in the gut and from my experience, probiotics have changes me life!  It surely would be a great place to start for you!  Probiotic 10 is a good one.

• Posted

Hello. I'm having the same issues. Except no back pain. But stool is lighter and it looks like it's mixed with beige strands on it. Did you ever find out what's wrong?
    • Posted

I also have the same problem but I think it's due to my gastritis/GERD. I do have back pain but it's to injury. Does your stools float?
  • Posted

I know I'm late to the party but since the beggining on this year I had high anxiety levels about non existent issues which lead to no appetite and abdominal pain that radiated to my back. My bowel movements went into complete chaos also. My stress level was very high, and had blood tests and stool cultures performed. Nothing was wrong, just my anxiety and poor diet combined. You really have no idea how bad your mind can mess you up until you go through this type of situation. My advice is to rest easy, and enjoy life. Don't focus on the bad. I know its easier said than done but its what I learned myself.
  • Posted

I  noticed exactly the same not only on myself but in my 10 years old son, The 2 colors especially on my son were cleary defined, as when you buy a chocolate/vanilla cake.  The only food we both ate, was a dark chocolate cake, new brand, with chocolate fudging, other than that, I have no idea of what that can be, but I would not worry, since they are both normal colors
    • Posted

Exact same thing happening to me now for last couple of weeks.  I have some minor lower back pain.  What I'd like to know is if you son is Ok or did he have any problems related to the stool color.  Thanks.

• Posted

Yeah I have been having these same exact issues lately. I know this post is over a year ago but I would like to know if your syptoms went away. I do have gallstones for many years but they do not bother me but my doctor said just leave them alone. I also suffer from IBS for some time now but deep in my mind I think thise is due to my gallbladder.If there is gallbladder problems then enough bile is not released to break down fats which causes lighter stools.
  • Posted

Yes I have been having the same issues with my bowels being very ligh brown and also getting nusea and back pain also my bowel seem to be coming out hard don't think that's normal very confused and worrying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.