My breast reduction experience

Posted , 25 users are following.

I am 59 years old and as long as I can remember I have had size 32 FF breasts. This, over the years has caused many problems as, as you can imagine, they are heavy so cause neck ache, grooves in shoulders from straps etc. The rest of my body is small( I wear size 10 trousers) but because of my bust size I had to buy size 14+ tops. Anyhow after going to the doctor for something completely different I mentioned my neck was aching etc because of these large breasts and he said I would qualify for a bust reduction on the NHS because I wasn't overweight and I was not in proportion to the rest of my body. To cut a long story short, he arranged for me to attend a seminar where they checked my BMI (which has to be below 25) as some people lose weight off their bust if they go on a diet.They also have to weigh your breasts as they will not perform the operation unless they can take at least 1 lb in weight off each breast. I watched a slide show of what they would do and which explained all the problems also. There were about 60 women in the room - all with enormous busts. I was accessed by the consultant and he agreed I needed the operation. After about 4 months I had an appointment for the operation. I checked into the hospital on the Wednesday afternoon and had the operation the next day. In the morning I saw the anaethetist and also the surgeon. They marked my breasts with a black felt tip pen and I was told that on no account was I to rub out the markings or alter them. I would be about a B/C cup after the operation. The operation took about 2.5 hours with two surgeons (one working on each breast). They cut round the nipple and I had a cut going straight down from the nipple and also one round the underneath part of the breast rather like an anchor shape. They took 1.5 lbs from each breast. When I came round I felt fine but it was rather sore where they put a drain in each breast. I got up and had dinner that night and felt brilliant. I had dressings on my breasts but already I could see that they were much smaller and 'perkier'. I joked with other women there that I had a 59 year old body with 16 year old boobs!! On the Friday I had visitors and felt on a real high. Apart from where the drains went in there wasn't much pain at all. I was measured and had to wear a sports bra (32 C). I was to wear a sports bra day and night for 6 weeks and then a normal bra during the day and the sports bra at night for another 6 weeks.Then after that whatever type of bra I liked. On the Saturday the drains came out (not a nice experience) and all the dressing come off and obviously the scars are pretty horrific. I went home Saturday afternoon and was told not to over do things for a week or two. The stitches healed really quickly and when I went back to see the surgeon he was very pleased. I had the surgery in January 2007 and now 6 months later the scars hardly show at all as the cut under the bust lies in the natural curve and the verical cut and the cut around the nipples is just a tiny white line.

The difference this has made to my life is incredible. I can now jog, dance, move about without having to support my bust to stop it bouncing about and feeling really uncomfortable. I can also sleep on my stomach in comfort - something I hadn't done for a long time - and I can also wear small pretty bra's and I feel wonderful. I no longer have shoulder and neck pain and I would definitely recommend having it done if you are elligible for the operation.

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done you x lm just starting out on the same path see surgeon end of the month !
  • Posted

[quote=\"dendino \"]Well done you x lm just starting out on the same path see surgeon end of the month ![

Good for you - let me know how you get on. You won't regret it. I never have and now I'm 62 so it was 3 years ago I had the operation and the boobs are still fine!!! Maybe not quite so 'perky' but pretty good for a 62 year old. Good luck. Yvonne

• Posted

Hi glad to read how happy you are with your reduction. i.m currently a 34h 5.5 and weigh 147lbs. two weeks a go i saw my p.s for the second time and he put me on the four months waiting list. Im having the operation done in nottingham.. i was just wondering how long you had to wait from being put on the list to actually having the op done. thanks
  • Posted

Hi Karen, I was told I could have the operation done in the September and was put on the list and they gave me a date in January - so 4 months after being told I was on the waiting list. My operation was done at East Grinstead hospital in Kent. I expect different hospitals have different waiting times and my operation was in 2007 so 6 years ago and things might be different now. Good luck - let me know how it all turns out. Yvonne
  • Posted

Good to know from you, mammoplasty usually done to get rid of back pain, shoulder groves,neck pain, rashes under boobs, pain caused by large pendulous breast.
  • Posted

Good luck to your wife when she has her operation. I had mine done at the Queen Victoria hospital in East Grinstead, Kent. They were brilliant there and the hospital was so clean & they were so helpful. It was well worth travelling the 50 miles to go there.
  • Posted

Hi I am 33 and having vertical breast reduction in 3 weeks. Please can any ine tell me hiw long they took to recover and how long off wirk. I also have a 10 month old baby to look after. Thank you

• Posted

Hi, I had never heard of vertical breast reduction. My breast reduction was the normal reduction that has the 'anchor' style cut. A line down from the nipple and then a curve under the breast. I looked up vertical breast reduction on-line & they said they thought that the scarring was not so bad as the 'anchor' type. Personally I wouldn't think it would take any shorter or longer to recover from the operation whichever type you had.. It doesn't take very long until you feel fine. Probably the worst bit is the soreness for a week or two & you are told to take it easy & to wear the correct sports bra but after a couple of weeks I was fine. As the operation is quite a long one it does take a while to get the anaesthetic out of your system. I'm sure your surgeon will advise you. I know I was told not to lift anything (no ironing or hoovering for a while). Good luck I'm sure you won't regret it.
  • Posted

After reading your experience I think cosmetic surgery gives a chance to take a first step for enhancing our beauty Actually my friend had a surgery from cosmeticsurgery-partners and now she feel full of confident and younger than her age.
  • Posted

Congratulations for going through it and succeding.  It takes a lot of courage to decide on something like this. And I am happy to know that you have completely recovered now. My aunt is planning on getting a breast reduction surgery. She is currently going through the reviews of various surgeons in web sites

Can you tell me how did you choose your surgeon?

• Posted

Hi, I didn't choose my surgeon because I had the operation on the NHS and my doctor just refered me to the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead in Kent. (Its the hospital which is well know for treating the burns patients, especially after the second world war and they are experts on cosmetic surgery) I don't know if you have heard of the Guinea Pig club (the airmen who were badly burnt in the war) - well they all went to East Grinstead. Anyway, I was accessed and found that I was elligible to be operated on and I saw a consultant called Mr Pickford. He actually didn't do the operation - two of his team did my operation. (you have 2 surgeons - one on each breast). They do this as it is quite a long operation. I'm sure your aunt won't regret it. They will do it on the NHS as long as she meets the criteria (that you have a BMI of 23 or lower and they have to be able to remove a pound in weight off each breast). Firstly you go to a talk and video of what actually happens and it is enough to put you off having the operation because it does look pretty grusome but after a few months the scars have faded to minute white lines which don't really show at all. Don't forget I was 59 when I had my operation so my skin would not heal as quickly as a younger person. I am 66 now and my breasts are still (quite perky!!) because after the operation I made sure I did as I was told and wore the correct bra etc. Anyway good luck to your aunt. 
    • Posted

Hi Yvonne, I know you posted this a while ago but I came across it today as I'm due to have a BR on May 4th 2016 at QVH with Mr Mackay. I wanted to know how you felt having done the surgery years later? Also how long were kept overnight for after the surgery and were your family members allowed to stay with you overnight? Thanks for your helpful post!! It's answered a few questions I may have had
    • Posted

Hello Helenaar, to answer your questions. I feel fine and still glad I had the operation done and it was nine years ago now. My scars have gone now and I've had no trouble at all. I went into hospital on the Wednesday,had the operation on the Thursday, had a day recovering on Friday and on Saturday I had the drains out and the surgeon said I could go home. My family visited on the Friday but they didn't stay overnight - I don't think they were allowed to, I was in a ward with 2 other women. My husband picked me up Saturday afternoon. I can remember having a cushion between my chest & the seat belt on the car because they were painful. I hope everthing goes well for you in May. Its a briliant hospital and they really looked after me as I'm sure they will you also. Good luck , Yvonne
    • Posted

Thanks so much for responding after having the surgery done so long ago! I just got a call from MR Mackeys secretary informing me should could make my appoint even earlier bringing it to March 22nd!! I'm delighted it's all happening so quickly. She said I may have to come for a pre assessment with the anaesthist. Did you have to go for this and if so what happened when you did? Also when you went did they give you a average size of what you would be after surgery. I only ask as this time around I didn't see my actual consultant I saw his registrar and he didn't give me a definite answer to what size they could make me but guestimated anything to a 30C. Can I ask what bras you used post surgery? I was told not to buy Macom bras because of the front fastening and to buy a sports bra that does up at the back. How did you get on with it all.

Thanks so much Yvonne xxxx

• Posted

Hi, it sounds great you're having it done earlier than you thought. I didn't have a pre-assessment but I was checked over by the anaesthist on the day I arrived for the operation. I bought about 3 different sports bras indifferent cup sizes as I knew I would still be a 32 round but didn't know if I would be a B,C or what. I kept the tags on and took the ones I didn't use back to the shop after a few weeks. My Consultant did say that he thought I would be a C cup & and I was - although now I wear a 34 B. I hope all goes well for you. Yvonne
    • Posted

Thanks Yvonne, all of the above has been really helpful to know. When you met the anaesthist what happened? Did he want to find out any health complications or allergies etc and take your weight and height? I'm unsure what to expect as I've never had surgery before so it's all new to me. Sorry for all the questions!
    • Posted

Hi, I can't really remember what happened then. I believe he just listened to my chest to make sure my breathing was ok. I had my height & weight taken when I first went to the hospital when I saw the video on how they did the operation. Then they knew I had the correct BMI to be eligible to have the operation on the NHS. You'll be fine - don't worry. Yvonne.
    • Posted

Your right. I will be fine. Thanks for the reassurance and all your help with the questions.
    • Posted

Hi Ladies, I'm also due to have a reduction in April 4th at QVH and have a preassement booked a few weeks before. Helenaar could you shed some light on what to expect and Yvonne did they weigh and measure you on the day of surgery?
    • Posted

Hi, I was weighed & measured at the assessment but not on the day of surgery. I had to have a BMI of 23 or under. Good luck with your operation. Yvonne.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.