Anal Fissurectomy recovery

Posted , 20 users are following.

After suffering for 2 years with a chronic anal fissure I had an anal fissurectomy on Tuesday.

although very worrying, the time in hospital was ok.

Now that I'm home the pain has begun. Every time I have a bowel movement I'm in complete agony, even with extremely soft stools.

. I was expecting some pain but nothing like this.

I don't know if this is how it's supposed to be and how long before I can go to the toilet without fear!!

Any help is appreciated

Mark

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mark

Please see my post below.

I had my operation over 3 weeks ago and have been in agony ever since. It took over two weeks before I could sit down. I can now sit for about half an hour before i have to give in. I am in constant pain even with taking maximum dose of Tramadol and Dihydracodein.

4 ays after the operation I was readmitted to hospital for 4 nights as i was unable to control the pain and was given morphine - the only thing to date that gets rid of the pain altogether.

The pain form the operation site has now gone - that took 2 1/2 weeks, but now I have a pain that feels just like the fissure is back - but worse than it ever was.

From my experience and knowledge the pain i have now is because the interanl spincter is in spasm. I am seeing the consultant tomorrow and will ask his advice.

I wish you good luck with your recovery and hope for your sake that your experience is not like mine

• Posted

PJ- I'm going through your same exact experience now. How are u doing today? Hope u pulled through
    • Posted

Hi PJ

I too had the same Op as you, did you ever get better and back to normal life again?

?Mike

• Posted

My husband had 9 days ago hemorrhoids operation with thd method and also had a fissure that was removed. He is in terrible pain after BM. It has been 4 days since he had a decent BM. It takes 10-15 min after the BM to be relieved from pain. He is on Tramadol and Diclofenac. He also takes stool softeners. How many days will it take to get better?
  • Posted

Nearly 2 weeks after my op now and things are getting better.

I'm no longer in agony after a bowel movement. I still find it painful but bearable.

Still not healed enough to go back to work yet though. Painful to sit for long periods.

Hopefully I'll be back at work in a week or so.

Fingers crossed!

• Posted

Hi Mark

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Sadly not the case for me ! 5 weeks on and am still in pain. Have now isolated this cause to the number of BMs per day.

1 BM = bearable pain - relieved with Tramadol

2 BMs = just bearable with 2 Tramadol, 2 Dihydracodein and 2 Paracetamol plus Lidocaine

3 BMs = I'm climbing the wall - unbearable even with all of the above - have to have a bath, lie down for at least 2 hours and wait about 4 hours for pain to subside

Have tried to control diet but it doesn't matter what I eat or how much my BMs are totally unpredictable.

My GP doesn't know what to suggest so I have to wait until July 3rd to see consultant again.

By the way did you have same op as me? - Fissure cut out, anal advancement flap ( plus I had internal piles injected.

Best Wishes

PJ

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're still suffering so badly.

The pain also gets worse for me the more BMs I have. I had 2 this morning and after the 2nd I was in pain for a couple of hours but this pain is a walk in the park compared to the pain I had a week ago.

I always take a hot bath after each BM which seems to help a little.

Aswell as those vitamins and linseed oil I also take 15ml Lactulose before bed to make sure the stools are soft. If any hard stools appear I know I will be in trouble.

My operation was fissurectomy, polypectomy and piles injected. The op was 2 weeks and a day ago. I hope to be well enough to go back to work at the end of next week.

Fingers Crossed

Good Luck

Mark

• Posted

How on earth do you have two bowel movements a day? My doctor told me to have at least 2 a day to promote blood flow to help heal my fissure, but I only ever go once a day. I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm supposed to MAKE myself go twice a day...
  • Posted

I had op 4 days ago. Feel was not given enough info pre-op about impact on life post-op. just got a bag with paracetamol, ibuprofen and lactulose when discharged. But the pain is intense, much worse than pre-op. Literally screaming with pain for 4-5 hours after BM. luckily am unemployed (!) but you would need several weeks off work. Warm bath helps a bit. I BM around 10am, then have strange one hour without pain, then it comes very intense to say 1pm, then less so until 3pm, by 4pm my mind can focus on other things, by 6pm basically relaxed again...... Like this for day after day.
  • Posted

Hi Graham

I had the same bad post op experience. A bag of pain killers and sent on my way with no warning of the pain to come. I was given cocodemol which can cause constipation- not something you want after this op. Also given another pain killer which I cant remember brand name which gave me upset stomach -not great. I ended up not bothering with the pain killers as the intense agony was immediately after bm and I never knew when my next bm would come.

As I said in previous post the bath straight after bm was my only slight relief. In that bath asap as hot as you can stand it. Warm just wasnt hot enough for me.

If its any consolation I haven't had any pain of note since I recovered from my op. I still have to be careful but havent seen any blood for a long while now

Good luck. It will get better

Cheers

Mark

• Posted

Hi Mark, 

I had a fissurectomy surgery done exactly 2 weeks back. Believe me, the days after the post op were the worst days of my life! Right from the day 2 after surgery, there was agonizing pain during and after every bowel movement.

However, the pain started subsiding after the 9th day of surgery. I stopped taking pain killer (Acetaminophen + Tramadol) for 3 days to see how my pain threshold is.

Then on the 12th day, I had to take pain killer because the pain after the bowel movement was very uncomfortable. It's kind of a throbbing pain which wouldn't allow one to sit and change positions.

Now, as mentioned by everyone else, the wound at the surgical site has gone and I'm able to touch that area without feeling any pain.

I'm unable to sneeze properly and also urinating takes a little time 14 days after surgery.

The pain during bowel movement today has reduced to a great extent but the real pain is after the bowel movement and one pain killer pill isn't sufficient..

Also this pain is more in the morning hours till 11 am and then it's fine in the afternoon and evening till 7 pm.

Hope I get completely ok within a week!! Time is the major factor here. The surgeon will not say anything about pain and will happily ask you attend work not realizing that sitting for long hours is a pain!!

• Posted

Hi Ramana- I had the same operation on October 1st with skin tags removed. I'm still in so much pain it's tearfully depressing. How are u holding up?
    • Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear that! I just pray that no one has to go through this agony... I can feel ur pain completely... 17th day after surgery, I've started getting new symptoms of itching in the anus and the area below the scrotum like crazy. The pain now is kinda different in the sense that it always makes me conscious of my bum! Used anal dilator (with a local anaesthetic jel) a week back from now, but that just added to the throbbing pain.. It makes you feel as though you're in trauma! 

I'm applying coconut oil on the anal area and that's helping... Still scared to insert my finger up in my ass! Going to try anal dilator with coconut oil now.. let's see

I can say that after 17 days, the improvement is 50%. When I sit and get up after a BM, it feels as though something is stuck to my ass.. Don't know when that feeling would go!

Melas87 - Please use coconut oil in that area whenever you like.. It works wonders in healing! Also have vitamin B complex capsules daily.. That helps!

• Posted

Hi Ramana,

I'm glad you're feeling at least 50% better! That's great progress! I'm 24 days out & still feel pathetic. However I took a better look down there & discovered I still have a scratch/tear on my old scar tissue from a previous procedure bc the minute I put diltiazem on it pain triggered in an instant. Now I know that is the source. I like u am too damn chicken to stick anything up my butt, no way jose!! That is complete torture! I don't know how some people can live with this crap & wait for a flare up. No thanks! So I'll be contacting by Dr tmrw to let her know what's going on & what to do. I'm going to the store to get me some coconut oil & pray it heals me. I'm so tired of thissad Keep me updated, ok? Happy healing to u. Oh, & what vitamin b capsules do u use?

• Posted

HI Melas87,

Hope you recover asap! Becosils (I guess that's what the spelling is) is what I consume. I'm in India so I don't know what brand name would it be available as at ur place. I don't have pain today..But discomfort as in some constant throbbing which makes you difficult to focus on something else.. Use coconut oil and sit in very warm water for 10 minutes after BM. that helps.. I inserted an anal dilator(with coconut oil applied on it) in my anus with some deep inhalation and exhalation... But the throbbing sensation increases with that....

• Posted

Hi Ramana,

How are u holding up?

Thank u for the coxonut oil recomendation. It is very soothing & I feel it has helped some. Still have yet to get the vitamin B, though. I do need to get some. I still feel only about 50% percent. I spoke with the Dr I work with & he suggested getting another opinion. I feel like the Dr I see just puts me off to continue to wait it out. Well, today is day 27 & I still feel horrible & worse when I have a BM that is soft. Still pretty traumatizing. Feeling hopless sad So over this. Hope you're doing good on your end.

Mela

• Posted

Hi Mela,

I'm much better now along with the discomfort and throbbing more in the night and after a BM. Good to hear that coconut oil has worked... Also sit in very warm water for 10 minutes which helps healing the scars. Drink lots of water (6-8 glasses per day) which really helps for the bowels to come out quickly. I noticed for me that there is a little buldge on the posterior side of the butt crack (on the side of the lower spine) and that is causing the discomfort. I also believe that the wound inside my anus hasn't healed completely as I experience the heaviness and throbbing pain when the bowels are almost on the verge of coming out.

I'm just gonna wait for 1 more week (with sitz baths and coconut oil) so that it becomes a month post op and if still it doesn't get completely healed or the discomfort doesn't go away, I'll visit the doc.

Give 1 month time. Everything will be fine. Try getting some exercise which helps increase blood flow to the anus.

Regards,

Ramana 

• Posted

Hello, Ramana

Glad to hear things are getting a little lighter for you day by day. The coconut has been super helpful. I wish I would've tried that out from the start bc the RX creams just don't cut it. I've been bathing/sitz up to 4-5 times daily. Which certainly helps. I have notice the scar is becoming smaller but of course that's before a BM. Are u feeling a bulge like feeling when &/or after u defecate? My first day back was rough but luckily I was sitting majority of the time & my coworkers have been so very helpful. Also went for a walk but it's still to soon to walk more than 10 mins. Today, I ate fast food for the first time in a month. I couldn't resist! Ha! Eating steamed vegfies/fruits gets so old. I'm buying one of those nutri ninjas so I can continue my path towards healthier eating. Prayers for the both of us. We'll get through this together! Sorry for rambling.

• Posted

Hi Mela,

Thank you.. smile I had loose motion 6 days back. So I started taking Enterogermina capsule (probiotic) which almost quickly stopped the frequent BMs. But the bulk of the stools increased. I have slight pain which is totally bearable but the discomfort after BM is a little annoying. It's just there for 3-4 hours after the BM. Nice to hear that you are trying to do some physical activity which will definitely help. I have started using anal dilator (cone-shaped aluminium object measuring 5 cm). I insert it in my anus every night (with lidocaine hydrochloride gel) and keep it in there for 2-3 minutes. I'm going to do this for 1 month. This would really help in finishing off the spasms of the internal sphincter and heal the wound inside quickly. Yes, I do feel bulge but it has reduced to a great extent after I've started using the dilator.

• Posted

Hi Ramana, I'm sorry it has taken me a while to respond. Work has been kicking my butt. It hasn't been easy at all. I'm having to sneak to the bathroom every few hours to put lidocaine on since I can't bring my giant jar of coconut oil rolleyes. Im still feeling horrible & I can feel where the pain is & it's in 2 different spots. Definitely going to address it bc I can't live like this anymore. It's so stressful. My hair is falling out in the clumps, I'm just losing my grip sad

I hope you're doing a hell of a lot better. How are things? Is the lido working? I feel it's only temporary for pain.. Hope all is well girl

Mela

• Posted

Hi Mela,

I'm a he! smile Although the name sounds like that of a girl.. :P I can say I'm 90% better now! But there is a lil discomfort at the place close to the lower spine. There is swelling and that doesn't go away!! I've been using the dilator for 9 days now with lidocaine jel. Now I have negligible pain during BM and very less pain after BM.. Can sit and stand without any trouble.. Going to use the dilator for 2 more weeks and see if the swelling goes away or not.. Sorry to hear that you re suffering..sad sad It's a real pain in the butt to be at the washroom in the workplace.... Apply coconut oil before going to work or soon after ur bath... Pls go back to the surgeon so he/she could examine where exactly the swelling/wound is and ask the timeframe that u must expect it to heal.. Good luck.. Praying for your speedy recovery!

Regards,

Ramana

• Posted

Hi Ramana

i hade oparation for fissure in Ano 80 dyas ago

i ahve initially tomuch pain and  gradually reduced

i think that slowely it will come to end of pain but unfortunately i have my pain still there as biging before my oparation

i feeeling that due to sitting for longer period

i counsulted the doctor he told the wound is not healed 100% it takes some time to heals

and he advised touse creams MEBO

but my quastion why it taking so much long to heal

my friends told me that within 6 to 8 weeks ofter oparation it will cure

really i dipressed due to pain and using so many pain killer

what to do

• Posted

Hi Ramana,

Oh, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have assumed. It's a beautiful name u have, love it even more that it is unisex smile

Anywho, I'm so glad you're feeling 90% better! That's wonderful & it'll only get better. I have the same issue with the pain close to the spine. It's got to be the scarring/new skin tags that can be very aggravating. Dr's can typically snip those off in a few mins as an office procedure. That's good the lido syringe is working for u. I need to ask for more lidocaine as I'm out from constantly using it. It's been over 40 days & I'm no where near close to the light. I see her today so I'm praying she can do something!! I hate this. It's ruining my life sad

We'll wishes,

Melas

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.