quitting 40mg of celexa cold turkey after 2 years on it.

Posted , 27 users are following.

I have been on celexa for about two years, and I recently ran out. So I decided to quit taking them all together. Its need about 6 days. I have had minor head aches, brain zaps, nausea and ocd. I was wondering how much worse its going to get and when with the withdrawal peek?

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi you need to get the right advice on yours pills. You should never just stop. Your more likely to get withdrawal symptoms worse. 2 years is a long time then you take nothing I think your body will notice the difference. See a doctor for withdrawal plan for you. Take care
    • Posted

I'm familiar with the side effects and the risks, I was just curious if anyone else has quit cold turkey at the same doee, and what it was like.
  • Posted

Hi Johnny,

You really should not try to quit cold turkey - you need to wean yourself off of cit.  I would see your doc and start taking a lower dose.  A lot of people take a few months to wean off so you have fewer side effects.

Best,

Linda

• Posted

Well I don't have insurance any more and I'm not about to get a $1000 bill from the ER for 30 pills. I don't really have much of an option, so I'm just going with it.
    • Posted

You can't put a price on your health. Cold turkey will cause me problems.
  • Posted

If you can't come up with the money, that's really all you can do unless you can borrow or go to a free clinic, but I was only on it for 8 days and I couldn't finish in bed if you know what I mean. It was great and lengthy, but when you don't get the ending it kind of sucks. So that was enough for me to change meds. I don't know if this helps but I'm just trying to support your decision. maybe you can afford a lower dosage and less pills, don't do anything until you've looked at all your options, bud.
  • Posted

Did you have side effects when you started on citalopram, if so how long for. Coming off will probably take the same time. I don't know why people are against cold turkey but, of course, once it has stopped balancing the chemical imbalance you obviously may regain the symptoms that caused you to go on it in the first place.
    • Posted

I didn't have any side effects at all when I started taking it, well I guess not being able to finish in bed if its within 12 hours of taking it.  But when I stop taking it for more than 3 days I have side effects.
  • Posted

Well a little update. I came of ct about 2 months ago.  

week 1. anxiety, moody, brain zaps and headaches. 

week 2 anxiety, moody, nausea and brain zaps. 

week 3 anxiety had worsened, moody,very very emotional, nausea  and brain zaps have diminished slightly  

week 4 sever anxiety, moody,very very emotional,some residual brain zaps and slight nausea. 

week 5 less anxiety not noticing any brain zaps or nausea but still a little moody and emotional. 

week 6 anxiety is manageable but does get bad on occasion still emotional

• Posted

Wow I am in for it then as I have no choice but to quit. Jeeze
  • Posted

Crikey your brave! I was stupid and decided i feel fine so im not taking them! Big mistake!!!! I collapsed on my hallway floor, and had the biggest panic attack ever! i was on the phone to the ambulance screaming convinced i was going to die. I spent a few weeks out of it and had to go straight back on them as it had undone 3 years of work! but this is just my experience! oh and i got a massive bollocking from the doctor x
    • Posted

I don't get full on panic attacks, so i think that made all the differnce.
  • Posted

I was on 20 mg citalopram for 3 years went cold turkey 2 weeks ago, feeling ok but having strange dreams, night sweats and when I move my head I get a really strange feeling,I'm hoping these symptoms will ease of over the next few weeks I will keep u up to date weekly 
    • Posted

How long did the symptoms when moving your head last?
  • Posted

I just went cold about a week ago. So ready for these symptoms to come and go. Want to be back to my old self again.
    • Posted

I'm trying to quit simply because I want to have something other than the numbness the medication brings. After a few nights of not taking them I just started having vivid nightmares. The chemicals in my brain are sloshing around so much it kind of makes it difficult to wake up, so sometimes I'm not sure whether it's a dream or not because it feels very real. In previous successful attempts to come off antiD's these dreams have been particularly scary and left me tearful, but on the plus side I now know what to expect and theat it will pass and I wont die lol

After a few days I became more emotionally sensitive, made the mistake of drinking alcohol which led to a full blown cry fest which took a while to calm down from, thank god for true friends.

It felt like there is a bath of electrified water in my head that moves around when i think or move lol. Almost like parts of my brain are sensitive and reacting. It's not so much painful as just a weird sensation, nice to know my brain still reacts to thing on a basic level.

After about 7 days I started having night sweats, and general hot sweatiness from the withdrawal. Anxiety started creeping back, have to keep telling myself that it's normal and it doesn't own me.

On the plus side, feeling less numb, being able to feel any emotion at this point is a plus, albeit mostly negative. 

Saw the sun come up today and got a warm feeling which was nice. Maybe it's a start.

Ultimately if it all goes to hell I can just go back on them again, or choose something else to take via my doctor. I've been on citalopram 40mg for about 6 years, and lots of others before that. Coming off and on drugs can be very difficult, so be prepared for the worst but know that you can fight whatever comes. The only reason I cold turkey is because I'm relatively healthy otherwise and I'm too lazy/stubborn to cut down through tapering. Though tapering is probably the wisest option for most. Good luck everyone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.