Swine flu

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I'm really worried about this whole swine flu thing. I'm getting married in October and I'm worried everyone one will be sick and not come worst still something bad will happen to me.

How would you know if you got swine flu or a normal flu since their not testing now?

I'm going to the maldives for my honeymoon i'm scared I contract swine flu there..its scary because the hospital is 1 hour away and has no Intensive care unit.

Sorry i'm just a very anxious person.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Tezi x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dont worry about it, get on with your life :D
  • Posted

Hi Tezi,

Planning a wedding can be a very stressful time, when you can see all sorts of things going wrong and all manner of disasters.

Dr. Spock has said the right thing. Try to focus only on your wedding and put the swine flu out of your mind as much as you can. It doesn't help when it is constantly on the television and the newspapers.

I too have moments of worry about it wondering how my lungs would hold up even with the medication, but I then push the thought away and get on with something that will hold my attention.

Let me know how you get on.

Warmest regards

Tessa

• Posted

Thanks Tessa that has eased my nerves a bit.

Do you think the Maldives Islands have Tamiflu? I know there's a doctor on the island?

I know its silly but I've become super paranoid..the news is soooo scary..

A part of thinks the wedding won't happen because of it which upsets me

x

• Posted

Hi All,

Ok three people here at my work place have got swine flu..I'm worried now..

I'm worried I be sick for my own wedding and it would have to be cancelled in October or everyone will be sick worst still i be ill in the maldives stuck on dessert island.

Don't know what to do should i cancel because in October the virus will be worse?

please help anyone

x

• Posted

hiya Tezi :cheerup:

given your fiance and you have no underlying health problems :huh: i know it sounds radical, but how about exposing yourselves to swine flu now :shock: catch it NOW, it will be over in less than a week and your immune systems will stop you getting this strain again :ok: if this virus mutates that will be in the winter :wink:

good luck with your marriage and have a penicolada for me, enjoy :mrgreen:

cheers,

Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :run: :peace: :rainbow:

• Posted

Hi Ken

Not sure if I should actively go out and get swine flu..My concern is also my mum who actually does have a supressed Immune system due to numberous of past illnesses.

I don't know I'm just anxious and actually feeling quiet down about it.

I just know as my wedding is in October people won't be able to make it or I be sick and it will ruin the wedding..

Not fair

Tezi

• Posted

Hi Tez,

I'm sorry to hear that three people at your workplace have got swine flu.

Now, I have paid particular attention and noticed that people I have heard of that have caught this flu, none of their family or carers have caught it from them. As Ken says you are both fit with no underlying health problems you should be perfectly fine.

As we cannot see what will happen in October, I would try and relax. Plan your wedding as you are and should a guest or two be too unwell to attend, this does happen at the best of times, it would be disappointing but wouldn't stop the wedding.

The other thing you could do is not book the honeymoon until nearer the time. If you are not happy with the way things are going then pick a different destination, where you will feel safer.

I appreciate how you must be worried about passing it on to your Mother. My girls are worried about that with me.

Now focus all your attention and energy on the details of your wedding and think where a second choice honeymoon might be.

Tessa

• Posted

Hi Tessa,

We have already booked and paid for honeymoon to the maldives..so can't change it..i'm worried If i did get swine flu and had complications I would be no where near a hospital as we would be stuck on a island..however they do have a doctor on board.

The only thing is we could cancel if things got bad as its covered in travel insurance..

It just worrying Tessa

x

• Posted

As this is worrying you so much, have you thought about taking the anti viral drug with you in case you develop the symptoms while away? If you have an underlying health problem, your GP might prescribe it for you. If not, I believe it can be bought on the internet (usual precautions apply). By then, there may also be a vaccine, which will be available to those who are vulnerable, and their close relatives.
  • Posted

I think you can buy anything you might need from the Pharmacies on the Maldives smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.