just started lofepramine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I take 1 70mg tab at night. i have only started them last night, i found it very difficult to sleep but then napped all afternoon today, now i feel worse than ever i have been prescribed them for depression and anxiety but since i havent stopped crying and feel very paranoid and anxious.

has this happened to anyone else,

does it get better

and should i carry on taking them?

i would really appreciate any help.

good luck to all of you who are also going through this. xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi there

i took this drug for the same problem as u i didnt find it helped me at all but we are all different

i now take venalaxine and i am lot better but i am not a dr

but dont give up as they may work for u

good luck anyway

stefen

• Posted

Hey,

You have to hang in there and try it for a bit longer to see if it works or not. The worst will pass - trust me, I've been on and off this drug for 2 or 3 years!

Good luck.

• Posted

I've been on and off this drug for years too. I have just started to take it again after a break of almost a year. I'm sure that the doctor told me the first time he perscribed it that sometimes when you first take it you can feel worse but after a few weeks things should improve. I looked for details of this on the medication leaflet but can't find anything. I can't remember what happened the other times I started taking it (nothing significant obviously) but this time I feel dreadful and have spent days lying in bed crying. I felt low before but this is awful. The thing is that I know this drug has worked for me before, so presumably things will improve and this is one of the starting side effects?

Has anyone else had this experience when they first start to take it?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi there,

I posted my experience about extreme abnormal reactions a week ago. Although my case was abnormal I too felt extremely distressed when i started lofepramine. I was coming off another drug too and my body and mind just couldn't cope with the cocktail. Are you coming off one drug to go on to lofepramine.? The withdrawal may be making you feel so low and anxious. It may work for you after your body gets used to the lofepramine. I was given diazepam to help me cope short term. Maybe your GP could give prescribe this 'til your mood levels out?

PoppyX

• Posted

Hi

I've just started Lofepramine having had a really bad reaction to one of the SSRI's (Citalopram). Dr said sometimes people can react really badly to one 'family' of drugs but fine on another (makes sense since Seroxat sent me nuts a few years ago which is another SSRI).

I have been prescribed the 70mg dose but was told to start by just taking half a tablet each night about an hour before bed (so 45mg) for a few days to let it settle in gently and see how I got on.

So far so good - I'm sleeping really well and waking feeling refreshed for the first time in ages!

My advice to anyone having really bad reactions is to go straight back to the doctor and not struggle on - not everyone suits all the classes of AD. Starting on a half dose has been brilliant too - even if I'd had a dodgy reaction it wouldn't have been quite so bad on only half the dosage.

Good luck all!

• Posted

Hi All,

I'm reading all posts with interest as I have today been prescribed lofepramine to try, having been on Citolapram for the last 4 years or so and fluoxetine before that. I suffer depression and withdrawal and am not restless or agitated. I've been told by my gp to wind down the citolapram before changing over but am feeling really nervous reading of all these possible side effects. I now wondering what's best to do....

All the best

• Posted

[quote:963a68bae5=\"Mogs17 \"]Hi

I've just started Lofepramine having had a really bad reaction to one of the SSRI's (Citalopram). Dr said sometimes people can react really badly to one 'family' of drugs but fine on another (makes sense since Seroxat sent me nuts a few years ago which is another SSRI).

I have been prescribed the 70mg dose but was told to start by just taking half a tablet each night about an hour before bed (so 45mg) for a few days to let it settle in gently and see how I got on.

So far so good - I'm sleeping really well and waking feeling refreshed for the first time in ages!

My advice to anyone having really bad reactions is to go straight back to the doctor and not struggle on - not everyone suits all the classes of AD. Starting on a half dose has been brilliant too - even if I'd had a dodgy reaction it wouldn't have been quite so bad on only half the dosage.

Good luck all![/quote:963a68bae5] :? :? :? :?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.