How long does it take to recover from acute pancreatitis?

Posted , 50 users are following.

Hi I was wondering how long it takes to recover from acute pancreatitis? It started when I was at work just over 3wks ago, I got the most excusiating pain in the upper left side of my abdomen, going into my back (the exact same pain I used to encounter when I had gallstones nearly 10 years ago, but I knew it couldn't be that, as I had my gallbladder removed.) my colleague took me to the walk in centre, where I had bloods taken and given buscopan tablets and sent home. Later that night the walk in centre rang to tell me I had pancreatitis, and that I should see my GP in the morning. I went to see my GP, she was puzzled why I hadn't already been admitted to hospital, she then arranged for me to go straight on to a ward. I was kept in for 4 days, nil by mouth on a drip, on lots of painkillers and I was given a X-ray and ultrasound scan. I was discharged and was sent home to rest, they said I would need to go back as a outpatient for a MRI, a camera test and a mrcp test. I got a sick note from my GP for 2wks, so thought I'd be ok by now? I was due to return to work yesterday, but still don't feel well, so my doctor has given me another note for 2wks. I still haven't heard from the hospital re tests, I just wondered is it normal to still be in some pain, I am also very tired? I know I shouldn't worry but I am worried about returning to work, my boss and her boss are coming to my house on Friday to discuss my attendance as it is procedure, it really is making me very anxious, I just want to get better.

0 likes, 99 replies

99 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It really is early days in your recovery from what can be in some instances be a life threatening illness. You can't rush things. Don't be bullied into doing anything regarding your job, if necessary take advice.
    • Posted

Thanks Stuart, sorry for late reply, had a bad few days, pain and vomiting. My Dr has given me another sick note. I spoke to my boss again the other day, and she was so so nice, which has put my mind at rest, because I was starting to get stressed out x, 
  • Posted

Hi Stuart, thanks for the reply, my bosses came round today to discuss my illness, they asked me when they thought I'd be better, and asked if there was anything they could do to help me back into work? I suggested maybe refused hours as the painkillers make me so tired? They said if I continued to be off sick, I'd need to go for a OHS referral . What has been your experience. Have you had it for a long time, does it come and go? I have had it before, but never diagnosed, I used to think it was IBS, I'd take painkillers, hot water bottle and curl into a ball  until the pain went. It was only because I was at work and I obviously couldn't do that, that if went to walk in centre, otherwise I'd of been non the wiser, it doesn't bare thinking about?
  • Posted

Hi

I was diagnosed with CP after suffering for a number of years through misdiagnosis and had half of my pancreas removed 7 years ago. For a number of years now I have helped to run a pancreatitis help website.

• Posted

Hi Stuart just found this thread. What is CP and where can I find your help website?
    • Posted

Hi Stuart

I had my first attack in 2012 and have since had around 3 every year since.... Till they removed my infected gallbladder September 2015. I thought that would be it but then twice over 2016. This year I've already had 2. Been through so many tests, scans, mri's & mis diagnosis .... Ruled out ibd crohn's and u/Colitis. Consultant today said he's quite sure that it's a stone in the bile duct /pancreatitis he said, which can be severe. I honestly told him I'd rather die than suffer anymore 10-16hrs of deathly pain, vomiting and severe diarrhoea, which always warns me with horrible smelly burps, then I know I'm in for a bad day /night upto 24hrs. I can accept that it's pancreatitis like he showed me on scans but I have to wait now for the camera & scan to see if it's acute/severe/chronic. Is there anything I can do in the meantime.

Hayley

• Posted

Hi Hayley,

I have an acute pancreatitis and my gallbladder has inflamed once. I want to keep my gallbladder that's why I am here in China as they have a process to clean out a gallbladder rather than removing it. I arrived here yesterday and I wanted to go back home. My ward is dirty. Had asked them for cleaning stuff as I am willing To clean it to my hear content but they said I am no allowed to. So they get it cleaned but I don't think the cleaner know what is clean means. I want to go home (Australia) because of this. Had talk to one of The doctor (who can speak English) and said that cleanliness is one of their issue. They way she is talk it is normal here and my ward is clean. Also they prepared my ward 3days before we arrived. I wonder if they haven't prepared at all. 😱 Now i am confuse whether it is worth looking at the theatre room to see if it's clean and decide to go back home or just go. But have to get my gallbladder out as apparently gallstone causing the pancreatitis attacked.

• Posted

Stuart I am in Australia and unsure if tests are the same here as in US

I spent 7 days in hospital then the last 4 weeks feeling very unwell still this week had MRI and colonoscopy and endoscopy more blood test just rand doctors office they said all was ok and to see the doctor in another weeks time

I am in pain, nauseous and Pop's like orange moose am I just dreaming it all or can I still be in pain

• Posted

hi I have had acute pancreatitis since boxing day.  I haven't recovered I am have bouts of pain that leave me in bed. I had a level 3 attack which nearly did me in. 

they don't tell you. much and gps. don't have a good understanding of the condition.  mine have learnt from me as I am the first to have it and they have two practices. 

reality is its here for life. just have to learn to mange the pain and diet. diet being essential stick to no more than 10 per cent fat on meat per 100g and try to stay about 5 per cent fat on others avoid cheese etc.

Please feel free to ask more.

its only by these groups you learn the truth. 

• Posted

Thanks all for your replies, the information I had read on the internet was limited and very generalised, it's much better hearing opinions from people who are experiencing it also. Well some good news, the hospital rang yesterday to say they had a cancelation, so had my MRI scan today. I just need to have the others, then I'll hopefully find out what is going on 
  • Posted

Genna, that is awful, how do you manage your pain? I have co codomol but was thinking of coming off these as they make me constipated? 

Robin is do you have Acute or Chronic, and what is the difference? Thanks for the advice re food, I was on a low fat diet to begin with doing slimming world, in fact the only thing I'd eaten the day it happened was a banana and 2 tangerines. I actually put the pain down to the acid in the fruit lol. What type of medication are you guys on, is there anything you could recommend? I'm due back at work next week, so will really need to cut co codomol down as they make me so tired, but scared the pain will come back, don't know what to do for the best?

• Posted

mine Is idiopathic sevre acute pancreatitis. I have been going through a bout of pai  for the last few days. the best way is to reduce what you eat when bouts happen and drink plenty. 

also diets for a fact dont work its a change in our eating habits that works.  everyone has a natural body size and shape and weight and we shu live with what your body feels happiest with.

The best way to eat is to follow the low fat route but eay four small portion a day. Instead of a normal plate eat from a side plate size having a kids portion. I typical eat biscuits for breakfast or two slices of toast or two wheatabix. diner is one sandwich. tea is a small size kids meal and super is snack time either a sandwich toast or home made buns or fruit. avoid processed food and I promise you will see a difference.  I have lost nearly 5st 5lbs and my weight is now stayed the same for months as my body is happy with my weight for my size even my consultant said technical you have a bmi of 30 and I should loose another stone for   bmi thing but he said its rubbish.  your body frame is what sets your weight and I am spot on for what he would recommend. 

Please feel free to ask nowts to personal as people who have never had an attack don't understand. 

• Posted

also ask your bosses boss if they have a company doctor. if they do ask to see them to be assessed for fitness to work. this way if you have another attack or bout of pain which leaves you of work then they can't argue against you for dismissal. if you are unfit for work they will have to lay you off due to your health. 

I used to work as a caravan engineer a very rare breed of skills. I got laid off and I couldn't do my old job or work on production due to the tablets and the constant bending etc and given my recent diagnosis of the enzymes damaging my lungs. you need to basically be honest with your work and no risk yourself for the sake of work. remember this can kill you. 

• Posted

I have a high tolerance to meds. I take 20 mg hydrocodone (Vicodin) every 6 hrs. And 8g of dilaudid every 4 hrs. I also take 2 colace (stool softener) every morning and keep Milk of Magnesia in the fridge. The past few days I have been pain free. I know my gallbladder was greatly enlarged in my last CT scan. I don't know whether to be worried or not. I'm trying to get an appointment at University of California in San Francisco. 
    • Posted

thank-you so much for all the advice, sorry I didn't reply sooner, I have had a few bad days, vomiting, pain and terrible tiredness. I have been eating low fat, bland food, my appetite has disappeared completely? X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.