Toe separators after surgery???

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well. I just wanted to know if anyone of you are wearing toe separators after surgery. If you are I just wanted to know how long after surgery did you start wearing them. I'm a little concerned about my big toes straying towards the others. I also still have small bumps where my original bunions were. I'm hoping that's due to swelling but not quite sure. I don't see the nurse or doctor till the 7th November yet and feel I need to ask a lot of questions still.rolleyes

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My doctor deliberately made the curve of my great toe joint less than perfectly straight, but then told me to wear a gel toe separator for 6 months.  *shrug*
    • Posted

It definitely has made a difference.  The space between the great and second toe is now (at 3 months) pretty clearly established.  Before there was a greater curve than I thought was good.  I barely notice the gel toe spacer.  I used to wear them before the surgery anyhow so I already had a bunch on hand of various sizes.  
  • Posted

I don't have separaters but was given a flexible splint at 2 weeks  that keeps my toe fairly straight --I find it quite uncomfortable. Both my toes are still tending to stray over but are still much better than before.
    • Posted

Thanks

Even if I am given separators or splints to wear I can see my toes straying over too. But as long as they don't hurt like before I don't think I should really complain

• Posted

Yes, I was told by my surgeon to wear a toe separator between my big and second toes from week 6 when the pin came out + for another 6 weeks.

I notice that without the separator my toes migrate together within seconds. Surgeon explained that while the bone has healed, the soft tissues (ligaments etc.) take a lot longer and he wants a spacer while they heal.

I also have a small bump (nothing like before) but surgeon said it will decrease as swelling decreases. Still, wayyy better than pre-op.

• Posted

Thanks

yes I think mine might be due to swelling too a little bit but the rest I think is just the way my foot and bones are shapedsadDid the separators help you with the straightening of your toes?

• Posted

The surgery and separator just corrected my bunion/straightened the alignment of my big toe - the other toes weren't a problem, thankfully.  The surgery made a tremendous difference - thinking the separator will keep the ligaments etc. in the right alignment as they readjust..?  No idea!  Wish I had medical training ;-)

• Posted

Hi everyone

I am day 16 post surgery and had stitches out yesterday. I had surgery in k foot 20 yrs ago with excellent result it took a full yr before swelling settled down properly. I had pins which were removed at 6 weeks. I have concerns abt this second op. My big toe is curving in and i have been given a bunion brace. I was told this will straighten out but am not convinced. My l foot was straight immediately. The dressing post op was tight. I do have some swelling under ball of foot and it may be that this is affecting angle of toe. And other toes that were operated on are still v swollen. Foot looked a bit odd but surgeons did not seem concerned. I go back in a month to have pin out of second toe. Please keep me posted with yr recovery.

• Posted

Hi Sheila,

How is it now after a year? Did the toe straighten after the swelling was gone?

• Posted

hi there, i understand this was way over a year ago now, but i have some questions id love to ask you. i am 14 years old and am currently 14weeks post op. i had a double bunionectomy, which was keyhole surgery and i now have 3 screws in both big toes. my feet are still very swollen and tender. they dont hurt as much when i walk, but more so afterwards. im wondering when is a sensible time to get back to excersice? (i am doing GCSE PE), i dont want to rush back into it but id love your advice. also, do you have any great tips for me, things that you found really helpful? thank you
  • Posted

hiya I have not been given toe separators I've had bandage n wodding between my toes n thts keput my toe where it shud be
    • Posted

Well that's good to hear because il be 4 weeks post op on Friday and not been given anything to wear yet. Trying not to worry but I am because my toes really do look like they're straying towards the others and after all we go through you just want a good result. Hoping they give me something to wear or some kind of positive feedback on Fridayrolleyes
    • Posted

Hi jazzy

The bunion splint i have been given is having good effect on keeping my big tie straighter. The curve at two weeks was very pronounced and I had obvious bump at site of bunion. I had a lot of work done on my foot all but one toe was operated on. at 3 weeks I really see a difference and have posted some pics to show. On a dif thread. My 4th toe still looks funny but I think as i heal and use my foot this will improve. My l foot took a full 12 months to heal nd during that time I saw good aesthetic improvement.

The bump has gone as swelling has decreased but big toe starting to look more natural. I now think the bump was the tissue in a shape where my bunion used to be. I do have alot if healing to do my scars are scabbed and my foot is dry. I am a nurse and have read many diff articles on post op care and it seems some surgeons prefer to start the brace at 6 weeks to 12 weeks as it is the tissue they wish to realign rather than the bunion repair as this is pinned into position. Some start physio at 4 weeks others not till 6 weeks. Some let you wiggle toes from day one others prefer u t wait till after 6 week xray check. I spoke to my surgeon on the phone and felt very reassured I think you need to speak honestly about yr concerns a good surgeon will give u the correct advice for their procedure.

Keep in touch we all heal at diff rates and it depends on procedure. I am thinking of you x

• Posted

Hi Sheila,

Thanks ever so much for your positive feedback. That already makes me feel better. Will keep you posted. lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.