Do chromosomes really influence feelings?

Posted , 4 users are following.

An XXY guy might say he's more feminine than other guys, citing more than 1 X chromosome, and women usually have more than 1 X. Does it make you wonder how a female with Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome can feel feminine, she only has 1 X chromosome. Surely most, if not all, these XY females must say they feel masculine if chromosoems really do influence feelings?

An XXY guy might say he's more feminine because of the gender stereotype that only females can be emotive.   And of course they will remember their childhood where teachers and even doctors will report they were more emotive than other males their age.  An automatic conclusion will be arrived at.

An XXY guy might say he has more empathy toward females in conversation.  I can recall times where I have had a great deal of empathy toward other females near me, but not all females.  If empathy were genetic in origin surely all females would receive an empathetic response, and XXY males who married females would never divorce?

Do chromosomes really influence feelings?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My husband has certain "femme" mannerisms:  manifested in his hand movements and facial expressions or the way he touches himself and others.  I found it attractive.  He doesn't deny them. Initially, he seemed to relate like a female might, until I found out it was all a farce--a false self due to a complex schema-related disorder.  The mannerisms are constant, however the personality/mask and communicative style depends on whom he's trying to impress.
  • Posted

He tends to hone in on females with authority and challenge them.  When I had my period, he would become extremely irritable as if he was on the rag, himself.
  • Posted

He wrote me a lovely love-letter back in high school.  It was very forward (too much so) even though I barely knew him.  It gushed with unexpected emotion.  I held onto it for years because it was so different and unexpected.  Yet, I blew him off back then because of his agression and hot-headedness.  Nevermind the wierd tics in the hand and the way he walked (probably due to his hip width) and the different way he would sit in a half-cross-legged position, one leg propped on the other knee.  (Kids are judgemental, arent they.  I sure was)  I suppose the hip flexibility and width allowed for position to be comfortable. I did become friends with him, but he wanted more.  I wasn't attracted.

Later, I got back in touch with him and came to see I had been shallow to judge him for his mannerisms and such.  I married him for his charm regardless of the "ugly" body.  I mean, he had certain features:  slender fingernails, nice, younng-looking skin, wonderful hair, attractive facial features (except for the weak jaw).  His legs were actually muscular due to the fact that he has to carry around 250 lbs.  His toes and feet are attractive, slender and don't even smell.  I'm not a chubby chaser, but I did my best to accept that part of it, and encourage healthy eating habits.

• Posted

You can go to my Twitter account and see my background image, that has pictures of me since age 3 ish (I think) to about 40.  I don't think there's anything feminine about my appearnce now or ever, 

I have small hands, small feet, a small head, I see body shape of men with KS as a reflection of their lack of musculature, rather than some skeletal feature.

On Twitter that would be

Ach T T P S colon forward slash forward slash twitter dot com forward slash XXY_Guy

lol

• Posted

Its interesting.

I don know where I fit. I asume I am gay, although I I am only 75% sure. I am not diagnosed at 33, but most likely have AIS.

• Posted

I would say sex defining hormones influence feelings.
    • Posted

Might have to have a little think about that?  'Sex defining' what does that mean?   Both sexes have oestrogen and testosterone, just differnt amounts.  

• Posted

Well, I'm genetically different so what I feel may not be the same as what a normal person feels?  

I've had very high levels estradiol and testosterone simultaneously in my system and I don't recall feeling any different.  All I recall is not changing and changing, and how those affect my mood.   When I was not aging  felt rotten, and when I did I felt great.     

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.