RA, Diet & Sulfaslazine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I was diagnosed with RA in Feb 2009, Since then i lost my job as a hairdresser and been unable to work. Most days i Have flares. My Rheumy says they attack RA agressively with drug the therapy. Since my dianosisis i have been on Methotrexate 25 mgs for a year, which never made me any better or any worst.Hydroxychloroquine which made my hair fall out and have a severe sore throat. TNF Humira which cause a very bad itchy rash on my face, chest and back, it made me feel like a drug addict dependent on my next injection. then they put me on TNF Embral, which gave me the same side effects as humire except raging moodswings.

So about 8 weeks ago i decided to stop all meds to see if i could control my symptoms through Diet. Ive switched to a diary free, gluten free and white meat diet which has benifited my symptoms no end. i still have flares but they are controlable and dont last more than a day. Now the rheumys want to put me back on mends they want me to try Sulfaslazine. im not sure i want to take yet another med which properly like others wont help just add more side affects on top of dealing with day to day living with RA. Could you share you experiences with me from taking this drug??!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have recently been put on sulphasalazine in addition to mtx and hydroxychloroquin. The sulphasalazine is not as harsh to adjust to as the mehtotrexate, but it did make me feel very nauseus as the dose was gradually introduced to level required. My rheumy told me you will know pretty much immediately if it doesn't agree with you as you get a rash but that didn't happen. The nausea was difficult to deal with, and I lost a few pounds due to lack of appetite, but settled down and I have no other side-effects. It has also calmed down a flare I was having so would recommend it.
  • Posted

I have been on methotrexate for 4yrs but have recently been put on sulfasalazine as well. At first the only side affect i got was a dull head ache which i was pleased about, i thought oh i am going to be OK on this drug. But when the dosage was increased to 2tablets twice a day i begane to get more side effects, dull head ache, increased fatigue and tirdness all the time. Then i started feeling depressed and didn't want to do anything, accompanied by feelings of anxiety and loss of apatite.

These side effects where worse on the days that i had to take both the methotrexate and sulfasalazine.

I have kept on taking it for 6wks, but this weekend i felt i could not cope with the sulfasalazine any more so i have stopped taking it.

I am now starting to feel much better and glad i made the decision to stop.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with ReA which started in Feb 2009, it was extremely bad for a few months then slowly started to get better, for the duration of this I took tramadol, paracetamol and etoricoxib. As ReA usually goes away after a year I never took any anti-arthritis drugs. After a year and a half I still had flare ups which went into new places. So I started taking sulfasalazine about three weeks ago, started off with dull headaches which now don't happen but now I am so lethargic, unenergetic and think I am losing my appetite.

I am still taking etoricoxib as everything hurts loads more if I try to come off it. Have resigned myself to the fact that this is never going away and am also feeling very down about it.

Am seeing the doctor in two weeks, if I still feel like this I may stop taking it and see what else he's got!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.