How is refusing therapy for children Ethical?

Posted , 2 users are following.

AXYS formerly the KS&A (Klinefelter Syndrome & Associates) is promoting a study of XXY boys in puberty, between the ages of 10 and 15 years, where half the participants will be given a placebo and the other half a Testosterone Gel.  The study is paid for by the NIH (National Institutes of Health) and has apparently passed all ethical considerations.  

My first concern is that parents can't give informed consent for their children. It is not the parents bodies that may be inadvertently affected if something goes wrong.

Over the years I have been involved with searching for information about XXY and  Klinefelters' syndrome, this type of study was always described as being unethical, and cannot be performed.  It is unethical to discover people who need therapy and not give it, just to see what happens.  It is also unethical to give therapy to people who don't have a clinical need, yet in this study both scenarios may well take place, as I cannot find anything in the published Protocol to prevent them from taking place.

You can read the Protocol by searching for "Study of Psychological and Motor Effects of Testosterone in Adolescents With XXY/Klinefelter Syndrome (TestoXXY/KS)"  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was recently diagnosed at age 30, just few days ago. Suffered with KS all my life without knowing. Was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 2007 probably due to low T. Always had muscle aches in my upper arms and big gynecomastia. Am actually scared of going on Testosterone treatment because I feel it may reduce my chances of a successful Micro-TESE/ICSI in the future. What do you think?
    • Posted

I did enter content and NOTHING came out but a comment "you must enter some content!"
    • Posted

From memeory I typed "Happy birthday iyke"   

I'll send my next responses by private message until the system can be guaranteed to work!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.