Magnesium for Acid Reflux

Posted , 16 users are following.

i have been taking PPI for acid Reflux and been having side effects I have been told it might be magnesium deficiency  any comments and what dose tablet is suitible

2 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

interesting i wonder if other sumptoms of magnesium are ?  need to read up on this one
    • Posted

tLooked at that other symptoms i can relate to is muscle pain feeling lethargic and unable to sleep
  • Posted

Before I would start loading up on something I would make sure you really have a deficiency.
    • Posted

ilooked into this and it does not always show up in blood tests etc  the only thing thatworries me is what dose level shoul i start with
  • Posted

praps try a little to start i am going to try this.
  • Posted

If you are taking ANY ppi medication you will be deficient in magnesium, calcium and B12 to start with. The PPI's take over and strip your body of the good stuff that we all need, including our good acids and enzymes.

These drugs are good for a short term fix-up BUT do not get to the cause of the problem.

I had been on Somac (Australian) for over 7 years and this year I have lost my voice.....reason is the spincter isn't closing and there isn't enough acid and enzymes in my body to digest the food.  The food sits down there and the fermentation starts to rise up into the throat area (silent reflux), often causing a drip or a flow of phlem or musus at the back of the throat - not through the nose - but a drip down the back of the throat.  My voice is weak and deep - (very horse) Antibotics are useless as they will take ALL the bacteria from your body including all the good stuff that we need.

I 'm having success with an over the counter tablet that contains Betaine. I take magnesium and B12 tablets. Watch my diet and eat small meals and snacks. Off coffee, tea, sugar and chocolate as they are the worse things for reflux.   All fried foods and carbonated drinks are bad too.  Smoothies for breakfast made with several natural vegetables and some fruit are easier to digest.  

It is a long slow process to get your body back on track and you will know when you have eaten the wrong thingsad 

Chewing gum or a "Fisherman's Friend"  helps to clear the throat if it feels thick with some reflux.

If you go off the ppi's do this slowly.  

I have other posts on this site relating to my episode with Reflux; you may find them helpful???  Not all reflux symptoms are the same.

• Posted

Hi again Pam - cant remember if I mentioned last time that you can spray magnesium oil on your feet? If you are still taking the dreaded Somac this will stop the absorbsion of magnesium so the topical method (transdermal) works really well. Did you know all ppi's will be available OTC starting next month! What a disaster! Tuning your internet radio to 3AW in Victoria at 6pm Sunday nights talks about these little gems. I'm using digestive enzymes 3 times a day - seems to help. Have you tried this?
    • Posted

Hi, i read your post with interest, especialy about PPI and food fermenting. I have LPR which was diagnosed by ent when i went because of globus.

I was unaware i had reflux as there were no symptoms, just the globus.

After taking pantoprazole i now find that as well as the globus i get an awful feeling of pressure at the top of my stomach, into my throat and sometimes in my nose. The consultant has dismissed my idea that the ppi has given me these new symptoms.

• Posted

Nice posting, but be carefull with the chewing of gum.  The also create lots of gas. ;-(
    • Posted

Wow, I have been in the same Medication for my reflux/lpr for 4 years. And I too get the crazy pressure going up throat and into nose. Almost feels like your being strangled by air if that makes any sense. I have searched everywhere to find someone with the same symptoms as me. I noticed this started not to long after I started this medication. I went to the er because it was so bad once and he told me it was esophagus spasms and the Muscles tightening and spazzing out. I took a muscle relaxer for a couple days ( flexeral ) and it took the pressure away. I'm on a list to see a surgeon as I've tried everything to fix my reflux. Including diet, head elevated during sleep, no eating after 6pm and so on. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi , i have now been off the panto for approx 1 month.

​I can't say i'm fully back to normal but i think i can say i've had a few less problems, i was getting a tiny pain over my diaphram area and to one side as well as the pressure feeling. Now i'm not getting the pain at all but sometimes still the pressure feeling, though possibly not as bad.

​I know i still have the reflux as i can feel bubbles coming up my throat sometimes.

​I am managing on gaviscon and zantac and also taking this silicol stuff before meals to protect my stomach. Not sure what i'm going to do yet but have plenty of ideas.

The consultant has recently had a look at my oesophagus under a GA, he just said there was acid and keep taking the panto, i have found him to be a very unhelpful man although i appreciate he's checked my throat.

​Like you i try to notice what foods set it off but haven't drawn any firm conclusions apart from tomatoes.

Sometimes i get so fed up and eat anything i fancy and don't always feel any worse.

​Do keep in touch and let me know how you ar getting on.

• Posted

That's good to hear your off the PPI. I honestly wish I didn't start it. I'm sure with the right diet and natural remedies it would have balanced itself out on its own. I did how ever try to stop it when I first started.. I also used Zantac and gaviscon. But unfortunately for me Zantac have me terrible migraines. I tried Pepcid but ended up going to the er due to a major allergic reaction from it. At that point my stress was high so back to pantro I went. I do notice though that the worse the stress the worse my acid reflux and pressure is. My doc says stresss creates more acid. I too get those annoying air bubbles up my throat and they get stuck often so I need to drink something to burp them up. I found it interesting you said you got one sided pain. May I ask what side ? Mine was the right side. It landed me in the er a couple times. They and I thought it was my gallbladder. But tests said otherwise. That pain only started when I went on the pantro. I recently was told to up my dose to 3 a day as I've lost my voice due to acid coming up and spilling into my Larynx. Hurts like hell. Almost going on a year. It's weird though some time I eat a certain food and nothing happens other times it gets the acid reflux going. Hmm I often wonder if it's gallbladder issues. Trouble with the gallbladder emptying can cause this.
    • Posted

The pain was very slight and on the left sometimes and right at others. I haven't had it since i came off panto but the doc has reffered me for a scan to check my gall bladder. Personaly i dont think this is the problem as the pain is very slight.

Like you sometimes i can eat without symptoms and at others have bad reflux. I get fed up sometimes and think what the hell and eat chocolate or have a drink and someties get no refux at all.

• Posted

Hi sapphire I know this is an old post how is your voice now. I went to an ent who thought I had pnd due to allergies. 2 mos later I gonin and now I have lpr/gerd ! Damaging my vocal chords put me on Zantac at night hasn't helped much cuz u need to use your voice. It's so raspy an hoarse. I was wondering if u ever got it back and how long it took and if u had any remedies. Im so tired of sounding like this also did u smoke just curious just wish this was caught sooner and it wasn't obviously allergies I've since gone to a gastro and now on ppi just have no patience thanks in advance

• Posted

Lots of people already have a magnesium deficiency without knowing in the UK and don't do anything about it until they start getting unwanted symptoms like chronic pain, poor sleep, lack of energy, tiredness, depression, digestive issues or constipation. Drs tell us to keep our calcium levels up but magnesium is just as important if not more so than calcium and PPIs deplete magnesium further.   Stats reckon 70% of population aren't getting enough magnesium.  There are lots of articles on magnesium deficiency on the net.

I have not been diagnosed with magnesium deficiency but have been suffering some of these symptoms for some time (since I came down with reflux problems 3 years ago).  

Green leafy vegetables such as spinach provide magnesium as chlorophyll contains magnesium. In addition, nuts, seeds, beans and some whole grains are also good sources of magnesium. Although magnesium is present in many foods, it usually occurs in small amounts. As with most nutrients, daily needs for magnesium cannot be met from a single food. Eating a wide variety of foods, including five servings of fruits and vegetables daily and plenty of whole grains, can help to ensure an adequate intake of magnesium. Making some simple changes to your diet can also help. Whole-wheat bread, for example, has twice as much magnesium as white bread because the magnesium-rich germ and bran are removed when white flour is processed.

However, our fast-paced modern lifestyles and reliance on many refined foods (which tend to have a low magnesium content) mean that many of us are not getting enough magnesium in our diet. For athletes and sportsmen and women in particular this can be extremely important as magnesium has a pivotal role in both anaerobic and aerobic energy production, particularly in the metabolism of adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the 'energy currency' of the body. For the rest of us a deficiency of magnesium may just lead to regular feelings of tiredness or fatigue.

If you don't notice a difference with diet taking supplements may help.  Not all magnesium absorbs well in the body though.  I use magnesium citrate and my chronic pain and lack of energy which Drs were baffled with and told me it was just fibromyalgia and gave me tramadol has almost gone since taking magnesium without needing prescription drugs.  My reflux has also improved which could be attributed to my healthy diet reducing inflammation in my system and to the additional supplements.  Most supplements you buy advise on what doseage to take.  It's fairly simple though, start on a small dose and increase if your symptoms don't improve, you are taking too much if you start to suffer from diahorreah so cut it back a bit.  It's also recommended to take magnesium supplements along with calcium supplements unless you eat lots of dairy then 1:1 ratio is good.  You can get supplments that have both in the one pill.

Magnesium supplments and healthy diet has saved my life.  I still have reflux/throat issues but it is more manageable, my chronic pain is now just mild pain and no longer require strong opiates to deal with it, my energy levels have increased and I'm generally feeling like I now cope with life in general whatever it throws at me.

The RDA is 300mg but you can take more short term to get things under control but I wouldn't go over 400mg in the longer term as it can cause diahorreah.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.