High Blood pressure and the use of thyroxine for under active thryoid - are the two connected?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have suffered from an under active thyroid for over 30 years and co-incidentally (or not) I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure approx 28 years ago. I have never been able to get my blood pressure under control, despite numerous different drugs (all with side effects) loosing weight (which is difficult) eating healthily, exercising and drinking copious amounts of beetroot juice. (supposed to help in bp reduction). So its not like I dont try. I have read somewere that its possible thryoxine can increae bp but docs will have none of it. Has anyone else out there come to the same conclusion? I have now come to the end of my tether with all the drugs and the side effects for bp treatment. I cant live without the thryoxine as life would be awful, but nor can I go on with the bp treatment. There are times when I feel really down and wonder what the future holds. I am 58. Any advice?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Ihave the same ..high b.p.and low thyroid,ive never heard that the two can rival each other! Now that makes me think like you-how to solve two issues.my g.p. has just increased my b.p medication,but my thyroid is fine. b.p registered very HIGH so i was planning on being positive with my diet.now im not sure that it will really work...HELP!
  • Posted

I don't know if there is any connection between thryoxine and high blood pressure but as I say I have a sneaky feeling it does and that I have read it somewhere. Ask your doc next time you see him/her but bet they say it doesnt. Keep up with the healthy diet though it can only do good!

• Posted

Yes there is a connection, the dead giveaway is that levo is LEVOTHYROXINE SALTS, being hypothyroid pushes your blood pressure up, another desperate reaction by the body to compensate for the lack of thyroxine, but taking levo really doesn't help blood pressure.
  • Posted

omg...i checked this out on drugs .com and it said no interaction with ramipril that im taking for b.p. im confused now ! so whats the solution?
  • Posted

I wish I knew what the answer was. I have been battling with this for over 25 years and every doctor I have asked has told me that it wasnt a problem. I am tired of trying all the different bp medications with no results. Was given doxazosin last week which made me really ill - violent headache and sickness - so its back to the docs again! I am beginning to think I will just have to accept what happens and that maybe I will never get my bp any lower. I dont know if there is any other medication other than levothyroxine for treatment of under active thyroid that doesnt cause raised bp. Or interfer with bp meds.

• Posted

but equilass if it says there is no interaction with ramipril then you are ok taking them tog. My point is - does having under active thryoid and taking thyroxine elevate blood pressure to the point that bp meds dont work. I.e is levothroxine forcing my bp up higher anyway?

• Posted

Hello. I have been on thyroxine now for thirty years. I am 53. I have only just been diagnosed for high blood pressure in the last month, before this my blood pressure was always fine. I have lost weight, drank beetroot juice, ate a lot of celery,drank lots of water and cut out as much salt as I can. In a month my blood pressure has dropped but not enough. My mum had high blood pressure so my GP thinks its heredatory . Thyroxine didnt do this to me, I did with years of smoking, poor diet n lack of exercise add a gene from my mum = high blood pressure sad
  • Posted

Use verapamil and KARVEA together after the thyroxine hypertension is no part of your thyroid is genetic run on families and many other issues hidden thyroxine controls metabolism sure out blood pressure up but blood pressure never stay the same if systolic is high is dangerous use verapamil 40 mg twice and irbersartan 150 mg twice together no one medicine alone no smoke or drink alcohol lots of water
  • Posted

And stop worry that would never drop the blood pressure anxiety fear of May what happens that is phobia subconscious mind use one calcium channel blocker and one angiotensin medication ,aspirin little and control your diet systolic is very important no above 130 like 150/90 110/70 or 120/80 is good you cannot sleep with high systolic check if you have sleep apnoea and you need machine CPAP that can cause many issues who many no know thyroxine requires TSH test and thyroglobulin test check with your doctor
  • Posted

Hi,

I had radioactive iodine in 2011 for my overactive thyroid and coincidentally that was when my BP started to increase. I'm now taking Ramipril

for my BP (since two days ago) because the GP said my diastolic reading (lower number) is too high.

I'm not pleased that I'm now on two meds but as you say, the thyroxine is non negotiable! and perhaps high BP is indeed a consequence of it.

• Posted

Hello I have been on thyroxine for 14 years and on and off putting meds . I have recently come off ramipril because of side effects and think there is a link between thyroxine and high no . I am 54 years old cycle every day walk every day and am slim with healthy diet so no other reason to have high bp
  • Posted

I've been on levothyroxine ten years now , i also had radioactive iodine 37 years ago plus part thyroidectomy for hyperactive, i have very low blood pressure ,  i am sensitive to drugs so don't think it's the Levo but do think many other things do come from taking the Levo..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.