side effects: just say no!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Life is short.

Not only has my mental and physical health been on the line, my life has been barely manageable.

I have been living with all of the side effects of Levo for four years now. I can't believe it. I was so blind, uneducated, and accepting.

These forums have taught me so much is the past 8 hours.

I want to keep this simple without going into medical speak that if you are just starting Levo and you have gained a couple pounds and lost some hair, beware. Take note. Do what u feel is best.

I have lost most of my hair, gained 100 pounds, been lethargic, had no sleep...my marriage has felt these side effects and more, too.

I regret not paying closer attention and wish I had found this forum years ago. There is so much valuable information here!

Some will ask how I know my problems stem from Levothyroxine...i won't go into the long story just know that as of TODAY I finally know for sure. I will be making changes tomorrow.

I will not stay on this drug. It may work for you but it has not worked for me.

I will get a different doctor, I will take more tests, i will do whatever is necessary. I will read your posts and hope you are well and that you take side effects seriously. Don't let the doctor convince u to live with them...find a better alternative for you.

Life is already better now that I am taking a stand. I can see my health and marriage and life start fresh. I can't begin to tell you how thankful I am for all of your posts. I can move on now.

Keep your fingers crossed!

4 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi there....be sure to have tests done to check your levels of hormones like estrogen and progesterone.....also your dheas and testosterone.....they have all been a factor in my weight gain and pain level and thyroid function to do with symptoms....I am so glad you are getting off of that med. I am on armour now and loving it......I was on levo for seven months with no relief.......I needed the t3 included and now everything is getting back to normal.....of coarse with the hormone replacement also....I am able to lose weight again and also feel normal and have my life and strength to walk again......no more water weight.......or constipation......I am no longer estrogen dominant.......good luck to you......
  • Posted

Yes we need need forums like these as when being diagnosed we are just as much in the dark as before diagnosis. I sufferd 20 years before finally going into a Thyroid storm.. But once diagnosed I was put onto 250 mg of Levo the next day.. Nothing was said about certain foods I shouldn't eat or taking my meds on empty stomach! and there was definitely nothing said about the horrid side effects of Levo. My Gp didn't explain blood levels or how it works! Everything i now know about Hypothyroidism has been from my own research and from helpful sufferers of this condition on forums such as this one. I hope you well soon!
  • Posted

i have had my thyroid removed 13 months ago & all of a sudden the past month my health has taken a nose dive.. pain constantly in my ribs, hips, frozen shoulder, and all of a sudden past two weeks i have excruciating pain in my foot to the point where ortho thought i had stress fracture but nope. went to rheumotologist & he did all kinds of blood work, 23 xrays & bone density. i got back on march 11th for those results. sleep? what is that? i am a pretty strong willed person but this has really gotten the best of me and im very quick tempered too. bad headaches frequently. before this i had non was taking 125 mg and was tired & no energy so upped it to 150 energy level is up but the rest is horrible
  • Posted

I am so happy that I stumbled onto this forum.  I have also been on Levothyroxine for 5 years.  The Doc put me on it for having a slightly low thyroid reading on my blood test.  Shortly, after that, I started having sleep problems. Doc told me to take Benedryl to sleep. Then I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure and put on meds.  The BP prescription was changed 6 times in 18 months due to either too high or too low BP results.  I started having severe leg cramps, but told I was not drinking enough water, so I drank more water and peed more.  Leg Cramps continued and got more severe.  Then I was put on meds for Depression, ended up in emergency room with severe side effects including VERY HIGH BP 230/110.  Then BP meds changed again, my BP went down so low 80/40, I could not pick up my legs.

I said, enough is enough.  BP at 80/40, non-stop leg cramps, unable to sleep.  I stopped all meds four days ago.  

No more BP meds: BP is now 126/62

No more Levothyroxine: no more leg cramps and my energy level is normal

and now.....  I can sleep thru the night with Benedryl.

Have not had my appointment with my Doc, but am monitoring my BP closely and have been able to maintain between 100/60 evening/morning readings.  130/60 at work.  

Fellow workers said I was wrong to stop taking everything, but I am feeling so much better.

• Posted

I have been on Levothyrozine since 1999, I was OK up until last year, when slowly over time I started getting side effects and my Thyroid actually went into hyper active at Christmas, now dropped back to underactive and I went back onto Levothyroxin and now suffering extreme side effects.   Insomnia, aggitation, irritability, continual heartburn and that is on the good one which is made by Mercury.   The other one is made by Activas and the side effects of that are extreme feeling of being unwell all the time, headaches, fatigue etc.   That's just the ones I have experieinced.   I am in the process of trying to get switched to Sandoz but this is proving to be difficult.   From the research I have done lots of people are effected by this product and a lot of people like me think it's the chemicals they use to reduce the Thyroxin into tablet form that cause the most problems.   I am going to ask my GP if they can precribe the oral liquid form of mercury Levothyroxine to see if that helps me at all, time will tell.   I get the feeling we have to fight for all this as Levothyroxine is a lot cheaper than the few alternatives.   One of the alternative is Armour but this isn't licenced in the UK although we can get it, some GP's will precribe it but most won't.   It costs quite a lot of money to buy privately anything up to £200 for 3 months supply.   Wish it was licenced as the reports say it is much better than Levothyroxine as it is a natural substance as oppposed to synthetic.   I hope you get somewhere as your symptoms are really bad worse than mine.
    • Posted

Rosie, I became I intolerant to maize starch which Is in all the synthetic thyroxine tablets. My adverse reaction (itching all ovet) was worse with the thyroxine tablets that contained acacia powder. I am in the UK and have found it impossible to get Natural desiccated thyroid such as Armour on the NHS. I even found an NHS endo that completely agreed with my decision to switch to NDT but still couldnt prescribe it. I have also appealed to my CCG without success. I went to a private endo and got prescribed NatureThroid which made me swell up. At this point I found ThyroGold (thanks to someone on this forum) which one can get without a prescription off the internet. ThyroGold does not contain fillers. It's great! I feel way better than I did on thyroxine. Previously when on thyroxine I needed to be at the top of the T4 range to get my T3 in the middle. Now, both T4 and T3 are in middle of range. I have been on 750mg ThyroGold since 23 June 2015 and wish I'd done it years ago. It costs me about £1 a day depending on exchange rates. 750mg ThyroGold is equivalent to about 100mcg thyroxine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.