RECURRING UTI I CANT TAKE IT!

Posted , 17 users are following.

So, I'm 18 and I've had Uti 7 times in the past id say like 7-8 months. At first I had no idea what it was but Google kinda let me diagnose myself. Im petrified of hospitals and doctors and so going the first time was a big deal for me. I got prescribed antibiotics and they cleared it up fine. I'm had Trimethoprim for most of my Uti's except one. They all seemed to get rid of it every time but I recently got one two weeks ago and went to the doctors the next day after getting it as it was late Saturday evening & was prescriped Trimethoprim again. 2 tablets for 3 days. It made the pain go down but now after finishing them and waiting a few days to see if the last bit of pain will go, I feel like I'm about to get a full on Uti again, and I'm so scared because the pain is so horrible, I cry myself to sleep and literally can't take it. It's horrible. I can't do anything in my day to day life, and I'm being kicked out of sixth form because I'm always off school because of this pain & I just can't take it anymore. I've had it 7 times and I keep getting given antibiotics and I've sent off urine samples twice because the other times I literally just could not produce a sample and each time they haven't even contacted me back with results. The last Uti I had they haven't given me results back. I don't know what to do. I'm petrified of the hospital so going there just doesn't look like an option for me unless I get dragged there, but I'm thinking it's my only option but just all the tests scare me. I just want to be normal. I thought I had found the cause as I only got Uti's when I became sexually active and I thought it was condoms as everytime we used them the next day I would get a Uti. If we didn't use them, I wouldn't get a Uti. But then I got one and me and my partner who's the only person I've ever slept with hadn't had sex in a few weeks because I'm so scared to have sex incase a Uti comes. I also thought it was using Lush products and bath bombs but again I haven't used them in 2 months. I don't get what this is and why it keeps happening to me & I can't get rid of it. I really don't know what to do?! I've tried cranberry juice and all the wee before and after sex, clean down there but only with warm water. I feel like I'm stuck in a dead end. I literally am scared I'll have to deal with this pain forever. Please help?!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You say you've had recurrent UTI's but has the doctor sent samples of your urine to the laboratory to be tested for culture and sensitivity? It could be that you are being prescribed antibiotics that either don't work or only partly clear your infection. This has happened to me before. I also think you should ask for a referral to a urologist who would almost certainly send you for a scan to establish if there's an underlying cause for you recurring infections.
    • Posted

Hey Matron, 

I have had UTI 6 times in the past couple of months and ive only been able to send of urine samples twice, the last time i had UTI (2 weeks ago) I sent one off. I got the results back today and they came back negative. I dont get why i have been diagnosed with UTI 6 times but this is the second time its come back negative? is that normal? is it not UTI? i really dont know where to go from here. My surgery are very slow and i dont know how long i'd take for me to get referred to a Urologist as I went to my surgery in December regarding a family member who passed away from a heart condition that is something i could have inherited and my aunt got tested and found that she had that condition, so my mother took us all to get referred for tests however, 3 months later we've heard nothing back still. So I kinda feel like its pointless asking for referrals from my surgery. I'm thinking if my pain gets any worse as at the moment its at a bareable state which it has been since i finished my last course of antibiotics which was about a week and a half ago. It gets in the way of everything though, ill be out shopping and have to rush home because of the pain. I really want answers, but i feel like im talking to a brick wall when i go to the doctors. Each time i go, i see my GP and say 'I think i have UTI again' they ask for a urine sample and then prescribe me antibiotics, they literally see me for like 2 minutes and im out. I think ill go to the hospital if my pain gets any worse and that way I can be tested more. 

Thankyou! 

• Posted

Hello again. Regarding your referrals possibly made in December, ring your GP surgery and tell them you've not heard anything and you know that Department of Health guidelines stipulate you have to be seen by a consultant within 18 weeks of referral. Give them those guidelines so they know exactly what you're talking about! Ask them for the date of the referral, you are well within your rights to ask for this. If they start trying to fob you off ask to speak to the practice manager or you will write to your local commissioning group. You definitely need a referral to a urologist as I can't understand why your results are coming back negative. Had you been taking antibiotics at some point just before the urine test? That's the only plausible reason I can think of. Now go and phone the surgery and don't be fobbed off.
    • Posted

Dont ask for a referral, demand one! They have no right ignoring this and you have every right to be given the best possible care. If you dont make a fuss, they certainly wont unfortunately. I would go to a and e myself if they didnt do it quick enough! Good luck xx
    • Posted

Hello.

Went back to the doctors and they prescribed me Amoxicillin to take 3 times a day for 5 days. Finished that course today and the pains gone although I still at some point get burning pain after urinating and discomfort for some time after but I'm learning to live with that. I've decided that if I get any more UTI symptoms or pains I'm going straight to hospital to see s urologist as again they didn't refer me to one.

Hoping I don't see a UTI for at least a few weeks/months now. We can all wish. Ha!

Thank you for your advice!

• Posted

Yes, as Matron says definitely ask for a referral to urologist. I saw one after I was getting them a lot a few years ago, luckily thery are not as bad now, but one thing I remember was that upon seeing the urologist and having scans and tests was that my bladder was not emptying properly, so I started waiting each time I had a wee, sit forward a little when you think you have finished and just wait, it worked!! I always took my time on the loo after that and didnt get one for a long time? Cranberry juice doesnt actually work, I cant remember why now but it could be it has to be pure cranberries. Drinking pints of water until your wee runs clear does help though, but try taking your time on the loo and go as soon as you need to. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Sandy67. 

I have tried everything that people say to do to stop UTI's from coming on. Ive done so much research on methods that help. Whenever I have UTI however, i try not to drink any fluids because im scared ill need to go to the toilet and the pain is so horrible, but i guess thats worse for me. I've decided to start drinking a ton more water and get cranberry tablets or something, im going to look for them as people say they can help alot too. My surgery are usless as im still waiting for a referral from december about heart tests but heard nothing back yet. Ive decided if my pains get anyworse or i feel my UTI is coming back im going to go straight to A&E i know they say not too unless its 100% necessary but i feel this is, after being diagnosed 6 times and having no proper tests done. Plus all my urine samples have come back negative so i need answers. 

Thank you! 

• Posted

Dear Kirbss, it can be scary when uti,s keep happening.

it seems to be linked some way since you have become sexually active and you seem to be doing everything right re urinating after etc,

have you tried drinking lots of water always to ensure kindness are flushed out, making sure you clean youself backwards when you have been to the Lou to ensure no infection? Also if you use a lubricant try a natural one, Holland and Barratt do a natural water based one called YES, so no chemicals to upset you.

i would advise being very mindful of cleanliness before during and after sexual activity, drink cranberry juice daily, it is good diluted with water.

if nothing improves see your GP and ask for tests.

I have suffered with UTI,s and like you am terrified of them returning.

I do hope you get sorted, please don't worry about asking for professional help ITI,s are very common in women and health professionals are used to dealing with them.

good luck.

• Posted

Thank you, its so reassuring to see other people are going through the same things as me. I rung the doctors today and they said that my urine samples came back negative for any infections so i dont even understand it? like ive googled it and people have said you can still have negative results and have uti. This has happened twice. I'm not sure where to go from here? The pains gone down a lot since i posted this, its kind of back to how it used to be where I'd get pain daily but it was bareable but at some points in the day the pain would be horrible. Im going to go back to the doctors and ask to be referred to a specalist doctor however, i was meant to be referred by my doctors in december to the hospital for heart scans as I could have a in herited heart condition but 3 months later havent heard anything? I think my surgery are a little slow, I even had to ring up for my results 2 weeks after when they're meant to ring you soon as. If my pains get any worse, i think this time ill go straight to A&E so i can have some actual tests done and get to the bottom of this. Do you have any idea of why my test results would have come back negative even though my GP said it was UTI? 

Thank you, hope your's get better too. Such a pain having UTI's all the time. Literally stops me from my day to day life. 

Thank you!  

• Posted

It's important to find out which bacteria strain is the culprit. I've had negative test results too, which to me means it's a food sensitivity (spicy food perhaps) or a yeast infection.

Please try 2 additional things:

1.  Wash your undies with the hottest water you can (pour boiling water from the kettle in the machine possibly.) kill those germs with fire! Ha

2. Take probiotics. Not sure if we can suggest a brand here but find vaginal probiotic pills on Amazon, and take regular probiotic pills too. The probiotics fight bacteria.

• Posted

Look up D-Manose (supplement) which is an indigestible sugar. You can get it from Amazon and it's main benefit is to clear out UTI. That combined with lots of water might help you. 
  • Posted

If your urine cultures are coming back negative for bacteria and you're still having UTI symptoms after finishing antibiotics, you may want to see a urologist to be tested for interstitial cystitis. Interstitial cystitis is a disease of the bladder lining that can mimic the symptoms of a UTI.

I was in the same position as you until about 6 years ago: I was having recurrent "UTIs" (or so I thought). I got my urine tested every time I had symptoms and they all came back as a sterile samples (no bacteria present) but my doctor kept prescribing various antibiotics. But, obviously, the antibiotics didn't take the pain away because the pain wasn't caused by UTIs.

After 20 years of suffering with severe UTI symptoms, I finally found a doctor who diagnosed me with a disease of the bladder. Most of the pain that I thought was from UTIs ended up being caused by something else entirely. The diagnosis was a huge relief; at least now I could be treated for the real source of the pain. There are many treatments and therapies available to relieve the pain and urgency that come along with the disease.

I hope you seek more extensive treatment and possibly suggest that your doctor test for interstitial cystitis or any other possible bladder and pelvic diseases.

• Posted

Hi there! You shoud definitely see a urologist ASAP. But  For the urine culture test to be accurate you should preferably be off antibiotics at least for a weak. Cause after you take them they are still in your blood for a wile, and even if the antibiotic didn't work for your bacteria, it can still affect the test result and give you a false negative. Now I dont know If this is the case with you. And it is very important to know what bacteria it is.

I've suffered with irritable bladder and cronic UTIs for a while, and just recently  started with D- mannose powder , and it seams to help a lot with symptoms. The say, it only works if its an E coli bacteria. In my case most of them where.

good luck , and don't give up smile   

• Posted

I had to go to the er this past Friday had horrible back pain and a headache was told I had a stage 3 uti and that my white blood cell count was 3000. For the past year I get a uti every month the first sign of symptoms I go get cranberry chews I believe they are 500mg and take 2 to 4 a day as well as pure cranberry juice and the pills that turns your urine orange and feel better the next day but this time was diffrent I had no burning urge to go but couldn't just the back pain and head ache. I was prescribed microbid. But what I do Because I'm a cna and collect urine samples all the time is once you have been on antibiotics for a uti you have to wait 10 days after completing antibiotics to have a repeat ua to get an accurate result. Gives time to let the antibiotics get out of your system completely
  • Posted

I'm so glad I read this. I feel like I'm going mad!! I'm 29 married with 3 kids. I started having UTI when I was heavily pregnant with my daughter 3 years ago. i was really ill and ended up going into labour because of it. BUT there was NO infection detected!! It turned out I had sepsis post partum.

Since then, I've had loads of UTIs sometimes there has been no actual infection so I had to have my urine to be sent off to grow. The results always come back clear and there's nothing wrong. In February I was referred to the urologist. I was in the room with him for about 2 mins and he prescribed me a month's worth of antibiotics! They took the main symptoms away but I still had stinging after I'd had a wee.

I've been back to the docs again and they've sent my water off. Results are still clear. A few nights ago the uti symptoms came back and my husband took me to the hospital (I couldn't wait til the next day to be seen especially when I need to do the school run etc I could barely leave my bathroom!) And it turned out I had an infection so I was prescribed antibiotics for 3 days but was told to go back to the doctors because something isn't quite right (she said there must be a bug causing this so they need to detect what bug to give me the correct medication) So I went to my doctors and he put me on 90 days of antibiotics and he has sent my wee off. if after these 90 days I still have the symptoms then I'll get referred back to the urologist! !

I feel like I'm getting constantly fobbed off. All this "growing my wee" seems like a waste of time because it's always the same result. After 3 years of having the symptoms is really getting me down. It's so stressful with the symptoms but also I work myself up thinking I'm dying.

I'm so glad I'm not alone and I'm sorry all of you suffer too. Xx

• Posted

hi Ralme.

i've been suffering from UTi's for like 5 years now and its constantly after intercourse. im sure its cos i dont pee strate after bt im having the worst one ever. it seems like im resistant to the antibiotics. u sayin you have a problem with the burning i read up on vitamin c and i tried it. its normal vitamin c the 1000 mg , i took 3 tablets as i read the dose needs to be high. caused a bit of diarhea but nt too bad. the burn is compltely gone. i just have this pain i cnt handle. just tawt mayb u wud like to give the vitamin c a shot bt it shudnt b taken too long i jus took it for 2 days , now i need to get rid of this pain. BACK TO THE DOC FOR ME!!! sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.