Do I have asthma? I got 550 in the peak flow meter, age 25, 6ft2.5'

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am allergic to dust mite droppings, have a tight chest after a little exercise.

I scored about 550 on the peak flow blower thinggy at my docs. He isnt very good. I am 26 in a couple months. 6ft 2.5inches tall.

THANKS!! :D

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your doctor can diagnose if you have asthma.

Peak flow varies from person to person. In general, taller, heavier people have higher peak flows than do small, lighter people, and men usually have higher peak flows than do women. In general, good numbers for adult men are in the 550 to 650 range, whereas women tend to have numbers in the 400 to 500 range.

• Posted

Hi, Im', 5ft nothing and recently during a flu bout I could only blow 150 on my peak flow meter.  I had to dial 111 and got a doctor to call me back.  He said I could go over the max dose of my ventolin, but only to 10 puffs in 24 hours,  that worked until I could see my GP on the Monday who gave me a new different medication, Seravent, which worked almost immediately.  550 for a 6ft plus doesn't sound too bad.  Try steam cleaning your mattress and bedding to get rid of dust mites.  I'm 57 and have been an asthmatic all my life.  My main priority is to have an allergen free bedroom, then at least I can get some sleep.  Steam inhalation can help when chest gets tight, hot steamy bathroom long time soak.  Sucking peppermints and taking my inhalers also helps as does Vicks vapo rub.  Also sleeping with your head propped up on a couple of pillows,and/or propping the head end of the bed up on a couple of bricks helps.  Good luck, I also do meditation on the breath, helps to keep me focussed on breathing deeply.  cool
  • Posted

I was at the doctors and I couldn't breathe properly they made me do a peak flow and I got 130. They said it was normal... I didn't have an inhaler then either. It must be different for everyone.

• Posted

I have been asthmatic all my life - my peak flow is 650 and I too am a male, 6ft 4" tall.

Montelukast is known to help asthmatics re: exercise induced asthma - so you could ask for that and it may help with your allergies as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.