I need a little understanding of what happened to my mom

Posted , 8 users are following.

In Short My mom has had COPD for 23 years, in the last 9 months I have been her caregiver ( I am her son) due to a bad compression fracture from osteoperosis which significantly reduced her ability to breathe well....yesterday I arrived at my moms to find her gasping wildly trying to catch her breath, took her by ambulance to the hospital and after an hour they managed to calm her breathing, within a few hours I noticed confusion coming, today it was significant...mom talks randomly and non sensicle yet is very clear speach wise and pleasant...the hospital is concerned as they thought she came in like that...she was totally clear minded before that, now she cant even reach for a cup of juice in the hospital while on oxy without losing a bit of breath, no wat she can walk even a few feet without help, confusion is predominant as of tonight...she recognized me as her son and greeted me...then went on to say John (me) gave her permission to remove her air hose....looking right at me she does but does not recognize me...has anyone else seen this....mom is 77...I know this happens with a very severe exaserbation...but so far no understanding if it is permanent

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That must be an awful experience for you!   I'm only guessing, the hospital staff are really the only ones who could help you, but probably won't unless you push them for answers.   Could it be from new medication in the hosptial?

Good luck with it, it sounds like an awful situation for you both to be in, but worse for you

• Posted

Hi jldevlin,

I'm guessing just like you are but could it be dementia? Have you asked any Dr there? No body out here can tell you anything or diagnose, I'm sure you know that but we can share personal experiences.

I can tell you this....since I have had COPD I have had periods of confusion...family says I'm rambling out loud but not making sense...then I catch myself. Or I'm talking about something and then I just throw some words in that didn't make any sense. I need to talk to my Dr myself but I know it has to do with decreased oxygen to my brain at times. I also forget stuff alot more...things that happened a few days ago or what day it is...really easy stuff. This has been very painful to me bc I'm a very literate person and a factual person. Now I easily say, " maybe so...I don't remember clearly" bc I know it's possible I could be wrong about whatever the subject is. Also, too much oxygen can do the same thing. I've had that happen too so make sure hers isn't turned up too high at times. I don't know if this helps but other than the oxygen issue only 2 things, well 3 things come to mind since your mom is elderly...dementia, a slight stroke, or too much medication that is not agreeing with her mentally. You have got to talk to her Dr's and tell them about this bc u are with her all the time, not them so they might not know about it. You both are in my prayers....keep us posted...ladyjack51

• Posted

Hi ladyjack

I am wondering if it could be that your mum has a high temperature or the change in medication .

If none of these ask for a dementia test

Good Luck & hope your Mum recovers soon

😊

• Posted

Is she well hydrated as dehydration can bring on very scary episodes of what appears to be dementia, I worked in a care home and we actually called the paramedics out to a lady we thought had had some form of seizure, they got her to drink about 3/4 a pint of water over about half an hour and she was fine, we then got a lecture about making sure the residents fluid intake was monitored and documented.

We did after that but it was a shock to me.

Its worth a try

• Posted

Hi jldevlin

So sorry for your experience and that of your Mom's..

you mention  "  confusion is predominant as of tonight...she recognized me as her son and greeted me...then went on to say John (me) gave her permission to remove her air hose...."

If your Mom is prescribed oxygen, is she removing her "air hose"?

oxygen deprivation can cause confusion.  In addition any prescribed medication should be taken as prescribed, so if she is taking all medication as prescribed and its not working you do need to make contact with your Mom's GP.

In your situation I would be asking for her doctor to call (pay a home visit) so you can explain what you are saying here.  At the very least arrange a telephone appointment and discuss your Mom's symptoms.

Of course if you are in the US its difficult to advise you further. Your Mom needs proper assessment and care and since these symptoms have come on quite quickly the matter needs investigating urgently I would say.

People living in the uk, definitely get in touch with patient's GP, you can access the OT Team through your GP who can come and assess the patient in their own home, urgent referral back to the respiratory consultant if this situation does not stabilise and of course check with BLF helpline https://www.blf.org.uk/ Should anything happen out of hours, contact the 111 services or emergency service.

111 is the NHS non-emergency number. It's fast, easy and free. Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency.

If you reside outside of UK contact the health authority, lung foundation and emergency numbers in your own country.

I do hope this situation improves for your Mom jldevlin.

Best wishes V

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.