pinched nerve in shoulder

Posted , 13 users are following.

i woke up a week ago with a severe pain radiating from my shoulder and down my arm over the course of 2 days this pain had become so bad i can honestly say it is the worse pain ive suffered in my entire life after a visit to the hospital i was told i had a trapped nerve in my shoulder, and given tramadol and diclofenic for the pain told to rest and sent home i took the tablets for 2 days still in excruciating pain and only the edge was take of it ie my pain went from 10 to 8 . i went back the dr the next day after 4 days with no sleep and walked in sobbing and begging him to help me, hes put me in for emergency physio which i have the wk after next, and gave me a 2mg dose of diazipan to take 3 times a day and a 50mg dose of lyrica to take twice a day im finding these both help quiet a bit with the pain and take it to a 3 or 4 but the releif is temporary and after 4 hours im in agony again and cant take my next dose of tablets for hours after im going back to the drs this week as its getting to the point now for me that the pain is so bad i just want to end it all if it wasnt for my family who i adore i think i would i have never had so much pain in my life and cant beleive the agony caused by a simple trapped nerve im just crying constantly with pain apart from my few hours medicated i havnt lay down to sleep for a week the pain is so bad im actually vomiting with it and feel as if im going to pass out ive tried massage and exercises adviced by my dr just have to hope the physio helps anyone else ever had this problem and any advice at all would be helpfull i start a new job next week and it is so important to me i cant let this stop me please advice if possible

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Karmqueen, i'm reading thru the problems/pain and sickness you have suffered with this this trapped nerve, and all what you said is what I am experiencing,its now been 6 weeks. I'm sooo very over this on going problem, like you I have tried serveral physio sessions dr after dr and chiro - just had a facet joint injection c7/t1 [5 days ago] its not cured it but has slightly taken the edge of the pain, how are things going for you now - did you find a cure? or did it self heal? and if so how long did it take?

Many thank for any advice smile

• Posted

Another one joining the discussion - I have had severe pain in my shoulder for weeks now. Eventusally I booked my self in to see an Osteopath. While she was treating me the pain reduced but when i stopped it has steadily got worse. Now it is not just the shoulder - the pain radiates down my whole arm so i suspect I have a pinched nerve as well as the "rotator cuff tendonitis". I am surviving on an alternative dose of ibuprofen followed by diclofenac gel (can't take the diclo tabs as i have high BP).

I am going back to the doc this week and hopefully he will arrange a cortisone injection.

But it does affect yr whole life!

Lx

• Posted

How I can tell the difference between nerve pain and muscle pain? I feel I have both of them. I can't tolerate the pain. My doctor said to keep put ice on shoulder. Any help would be appreciated. 😀
  • Posted

I've had pain in my right shoulder which also travels throughout my entire arm. It's been nearly close to 5 weeks since I've had a cortisone injection & yet I am still in pain. Originally I was referred to have the injection after having an X-ray & an ultrasound done. Then I was asked to have a cortisone injection via having an ultrasound. On the day of going to have the injection I had asked as to 'why I was to have the injection'. I was told that having an ultrasound would assist the Dr viewing the site where to inject. Upon viewing it was amazing. I was informed that the injection will begin working after 4 weeks. It's been now 5 weeks & I seem to be still in pain.

Can I please ask how your injury occurred?

My injury is work related RSI ( Repeative Strain Injury)

• Posted

Hi Docko - When I went to the Ortho Dr. in Oct for shoulder pain, an x-ray was taken which didn't show any abnormalities.  The Ortho Doc  also used ultrasound to inject my cortisone shot back. He said he didn't see any leakage which indicated to him that there was no tear.  When I didn't get better after that shot, I went back in January when he prescribed an MRI.  The MRI showed a completely torn rotator cuff.  If it's not getting better after the shot, I would recommend you go back to your Dr.  He might order an MRI which would reveal more.  Good luck.  I feel sad for you that you're in such pain.  

• Posted

Hi, I have been experiencing the same as you describe, on Friday it will be 9 weeks. I am on diclofenic, co codamol, anti spasmodic tablets and 50mg of amitriptalyine. I also have pain going down my arm, pins/needles in my thumb and forefinger with numbness. I have had about 5 different diagnosis. The latest being posture! I am having an xray on friday (finally!). Only because my arm has been giving out plus my sister had the same symptoms last year and was diagnosed with parsonage turner syndrome. I am on my second physio session, they have just started massage and gentle exercises as my shoulder muscle is rock hard. Is this similar to anything you guys have been experiencing? Any help/advice would be great!
  • Posted

Hi, ive now been like this for almost 3 months, no let up! Had an x ray nearly 3 weeks ago and still awaiting the results. I have an mri booked for 6 may. My physio thinks it is a trapped nerve but is very cautious until the results are in. Did anyone find any relief? If you did how was it and have you fully recovered? Any information greatly received.

many thanks x

• Posted

Years ago, I had what I thought was n extremely painful pulled muscle in my shoulder. I blamed it on work and lifting. It went away after a bit over a week, and I cannot stress enough how painful it was. I then went on with my life and job with no problems for about 3-4 months, then it was back, painful as ever. My mom took me to the ER as we were out of town, the doctor there said I had a pinched nerve in my neck and to see my family doctor ASAP. My family doctor laughed off that I would have a pinched nerve in my neck, second doctor said the same. I finally saw a PA who listened, he checked my nerves, did some tests like looking up and trying to touch your nose, that kind of thing. He said he thought he knew what was wrong and left the room, he paged the neurosurgeon in the nearest town there was one. Within 2 weeks I lost feeling and use of the last 3 fingers on my left hand, and I had a 9+ hour neck surgery. It indeed was a pinched nerve, I also had some other problems with my neck they fixed at the same time.
  • Posted

Hi  I was wondering if you were still having a problem with your shoulder.  I started having a problem last October and at the time is mainly during the night and then it disappeared and I thought I had pulled a muscle. 

Then in Febuary I had reconstruction surgery on my ankle and was in plaster and not able to get up stairs and was sleeping on the sofa and was very imobile. I then started have the severe pain again in the shoulder blade and it was worst than every. I was unable to use my crutches and had to walk on my plaster cast and the just breathing was horrendous and the pain was going down my arm and around into my chest, I really thought I was having a heart attack.

My husband took me to the hospital, as my local GP would not come out!  They diagnosised a trapped nerve in the shoulder blade. Mine is coming or going now, although doing the time I am not in pain, I wake up every morning and the first thing I think, my shoulder is feeling alright and then breath a sigh of relief!

I treat with ice, then heat and have found that exercise is the best thing.  Now I am up and moving again I find the pain is eased by being mobile.  But the pain is so bad I just don't know what to do with myself, I seem to be living on painkillers and struggle to sleep at night.

I would love to know if you have found refief and if so, how?

• Posted

Did you fond out you had a fracture? Your symptons sound like mine and i had a fracture in my neck
  • Posted

I'm going through the same but not as bad at the moment. I've been sighned of work for 2 weeks and starting to feel depressed with the pain lack of sleep and anxiety of the whole thing. 5 years ago I had 2 trapped nerves in my lower spine Which was agonising I couldn't stand up because the pain in my right leg was so bad that by the end i was on morphine to relieve the pain. I had surgery and got back to full fitness. Now this has happened and I think the whole thing is going to happen again.

• Posted

It may be worth you visiting a chiropractor. A series of visits helped my recovery from a similar problem. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.