Just had EVLT on NHS

Posted , 8 users are following.

I read this forum prior to my operation and thought i would share my experiences given that there isnt that much information on this topic.

basically ive had varicose veins since i was around 22 and after 11 years they had spread on both legs pretty much from my groin to my ankle and were causing me a lot of issues.

i tried compression stockings at 25 but after about 3 attempts with different sizes and designs i gave up. they all fell down too easily and were basically useless

it got to the point in february where i had basically had enough of the constant itching and bruising and as a sportsman i couldnt believe it had happened to me. none of my team mates had legs like mine and they looked like they had 'maggots inside them down the full length' a term one of my mates used.

bizarrely my local nhs were seamless and i had appointments just weeks apart and finally had the surgery under general anaesthetic last thursday.

they did the evlt in both legs and removed all the bumpy veins all the way down the full length from thigh to calf.

i took the bandages off after 2 days and although my legs are bruised they already look better.

they feel tight when i walk, but like when you pull a muscle in your leg but other than that the pain isnt too bad, i can sleep fine and walk about.

i know there are still a few weeks to go and they may look bad once the bruising goes, but my first impressions are great. i feel genuinely uplifted and wish i had done this years ago

the pre op stuff was all superb and the surgeons very clear and the day in hospital was fine, i even got a free sandwich and some biscuits afterwards. Top stuff from the NHS.

ANYONE WITH QUESTIONS, il be happy to answer

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ben and thanks for posting this. There is very little info around!

I have to go privately because I'm in an area where unless you have leg ulcers they won't do it on the NHS. But never mind. My veins aren't very visible but really painful and I hope to have the evlt in a couple of weeks. The surgeon is an NHS one and seems to have a superb record so fingers crossed.

It's around three weeks since you posted - how are you getting on now? I'm really hoping that the recovery will be as easy as promised! smile

• Posted

Hi Anne, Yeah I felt the same prior to my operation so hence the longish post.

Basically my legs are looking completely different now and it is a shame i cannot post the before and after pictures here.

I am completely painless now, and there is just a small amount of bruising on my calf muscle. My legs feel much much lighter, none of the irritation or heavyness either.

i would say week 1 , potter about with tenderness and that pulling sensation in the thigh, week 2 lots of walking but need to elevate the legs when sitting down.

i kept my stockings on for 2 weeks pretty much night and day, had a few days of week 3 wearing them during the day and now not at all, I cycled 25km a few days ago and felt fine afterwards and have went swimming yesterday.

the pain is not as bad as i was expecting, in fact id call it being uncomfortable at worst.

i am very happy with the results so far but have a follow up consultation in 9 days time. I wish i had done this a long time ago to be honest.

i was also asked if i wanted both legs doing at the same time or one after the other, i would definitely say just get them done at the same time and get it over with. i suspect the most painful recoveries mentioned are where people didnt get up and walk around enough in week 1.

sorry to hear the nhs isnt coughing up, i think it is a bit of a lottery, especially with waiting lists

• Posted

Thanks so much Ben, it's great to hear about your recovery. I'm getting excited about having this done now, the end of next week! I'll post my experiences too and let you know how I get on - definitely taking on board your advice about moving around. I had my ultrasound at the weekend and it was brilliant to see all the tubes! smile

• Posted

Hope its gone well Anne, good luck with the recovery
  • Posted

Hi Ben.

I think you were lucky. I had three operations (stripping and ligation) and still suffer

from recurrent V.V.and need a forth op.

NHS never offered me EVLT.

Do you live in London?

Which hospital did you have this procedure?

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Lily. Royal London hospital who were very impressive
  • Posted

Thanks Ben. I will ask my GP if they could refer me to this Hospital. But I am not sure if I can have EVLT as I had my Long Saphenous Vein (LSV) already removed (by stripping)t. Do you know if your treated veins were LSVs?
  • Posted

yes mine were LSVs so not sure what happens after that
  • Posted

Hi I realise this post is over a year old but I wondered how you are getting on? I have put off having my veins sorted out for years because I was told they would have to be stripped out but new procedures look much better so reconsideringinvestigating it again. My legs never come out, I'm so conscious of how bad the veins are. I just want to be able to wear dresses again, they have taken over completely and really knocked my confidence. How do you feel about it a year later and how has the treatment worked? Thank you 
  • Posted

Hello

Just read your account as I'm thinking about treatment too. How is it now: at least a year later?

• Posted

Hi Ben, my problem was pretty much the same as yours my veins were very unsightly, itchy and bobbley too. I had my op's 6 weeks apart as the left leg was very bad. Hobbled about for about a week and a half and it bled every day for almost 2 weeks. Just had my right leg done which is a lot easier had dressings all but one removed today.. But as you say the difference is unbelievable although slightly uncomfortable, so please I've had them done. Ive had all the same symptoms your goodself.
  • Posted

Hi Ben, did you ever have any swelling of the ankles pre EVLT?  And, if so, has the swelling gone after EVLT?  I recently had EVLT but my ankles are still swollen at the end of the day even though I wear the stockings.
    • Posted

Hi Joy what method di you choose to have - stripping or laser? I am going to have mine done and can choose - but unsure which way to vote. Thanks Gen 
  • Posted

Hi Ben, I am having my right leg operated on at the end of the month. I am not sure which way to go- to have them stripped ( a cut is made into my groin) or to have them lasered. What did you have and why did you go down that route?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.