Dealing with malignant plueral effusion

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have breast cancer metatesis that has resulted in plueral effusion. My doctor treats it with thoacentesis but fluid builds up rapidly. Shots to slow cancergrowth are underway but too early to tell if working. I would like to talk with others who have this affliction, how you deal with it, and what it's progressision is. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hii.     im so sorry to read you have this condition,about which i know a little.  In 2013 i underwent major thoracic surgery to remove the right  pleural sac which was  da.  .  maged by asbestosis. Prior to  this i had  several pleural  effusions all  drained by a surgeon.  after biopsies.the samples taken from the lung and diaphram showed  massive scarring .  and the thought was Mesothelioma. I    asked for and got a second opinion which resulted in a further CT scan and  lab tests. which came back negative for cancer..   Although my diagnosis is different. and i can only imagine  how you feeling about this ,but i you want someone to help  you fight this i am here.                 
    • Posted

Thank you for responding. Although our situations are different it is good to hear from someone who knows what an effusion feels like. I am heading in for my 4th thoracentesis. I hope to breathe better soon.
  • Posted

thanks for replying  and good luck with the proceedure  i will be thoughtful of you and will be

here if you need to talk  god bless

• Posted

I'm sorry you've had this going on. How do you feel now? I just know that after more than a year out from the pneumonia, pleural effusion and broken rib, I still have some residual pain in the rib cage area. I blow up balloons to exercise my lungs and rubbing an analgesic salve on the area seems to help somewhat. I've also found that taking MSM with Glucosamine and Chondroitin seem to help, also. In my case, it may be a type of arthritis in the rib. I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Glad you are doing well. Lung issues are not fun. My issues stems from cancer so my condition continues to deteriate. I am interesting unlearning of others for the progression of this terminal illness I any find much about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.