Win the BV Battle! Fix what's causing it, not just the symptoms.

Posted , 20 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

In this discussion I'm going to post the four main reasons WHY bacerial vaginosis becomes chronic from the research I've done and my personal experience.

First, though, I'll start by saying that my battle with BV lasted about a year and it was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to deal with. It's not only irritating and sometimes painful but also psychologically draining trying to hide it from everyone and feeling dirty and like no one will understand. So, if you are currently battling BV I understand and I feel for you. BV is a BITCH. but there is hope!

I'm the kind of person who likes to find a solution as soon as a problem arises and is constantly asking the question why?. My problem of BV, unfortunately, took FOREVER to solve and that's mainly because the majority of doctors out there don't know how to fix Chronic BV (and still haven't done much to try and fix that problem even though it's more common than most people think!!)

What Bv reall is:

Bacterial Vaginosis first and fore most is not an "infection" it is and "imbalance" of the bacterial flora in the vagina. the kind of bacteria that causes the symptoms of Bv is present in every woman but is usually kept at a very low level because the beneficial bacteria in the vagina keep it in check. however, when the "good guys" are depleted for one reason or another the "bad guys" (ie.Garnerella) get to take over and cause issues. THIS is why antibiotics are so ineffective for so many woman with BV. 

Antibiotics not only kill the Bad bacteria but also the Good bacteria. If you're body is out of balance for one reason or another, the good bacteria has a harder time trying to repopulate your vagina and the bad bacteria now has another opportunity to flourish again. ugh! especially when the pH of the vagina becomes elevated, such as when you're on your period. 

So, in order to STOP CHRONIC BV we have to treat the cause of the problem and not just the symptoms. chronic issues can not be treated like acute infections. just taking more courses of antibiotics is not going to solve the issue and in fact is probably making the issue worse and harder to fight in the end because you're depleting your body of the beneficial immune boost good bacteria.

the four main reasons your body may be out of balance that have been linked to bv are:

1. Low vitamin D levels (I reccomend tanning, and taking a high quality supplement)

2. Hormone inbalance (particularly low progesterone)(dong quai root is great for hormone balancing)

3. Yeast overgrowth in the body (antifungals, coconut oid, garlic all help!)

4. imbalanced pH levels and overheated body (eating foods the cool the body down like cucumber. and drinking alkaline water with lemon in it)

the reason you have BV could be a combination of any of these things which is why something that may be a "MIRACLE CURE!" for one person isn't effective at all for the other. I reccomend looking up the symptoms of these things to see if any of them fit you so you can have an idea of what may be the best supplements for you to take. 

Personally, I went to a naturopathic doctor after way too many failed etempts with MDs and it was so worth it. (turns out i had a thyroid problem, low progesterone, low vit D and a yeast overgrowth.. basically everything linked with chronic bv. lol yay me. But at least i finally new WHY it was happening and i was able to understand my enemy and defeat it! lol) They listen to your entire medical history, info about your environment and lifestyle. They're willing to run the tests that many doctors deny you to see what the root of your problem really is.  if you can afford it I HIGHLY recommend having a consultation with an ND. that way you can take care of the root of the problem, and never have to worry about the bv bitch returning again!

I know this is long but I hope this helps someone at least understand BV instead of constantly asking why me? YOu're not crazy if the standard treatment isn't working on you. there is a reason and it isn't your fault that doctors don't understand how to help yet. 

My main peice of advice is to STAY POSITIVE. i know it's extremely hard but it can and it will get better. never stop trying to find your solution. and just breath. cry in the shower if you need to and know that you aren't alone and many other women have felt and know your pain.

7 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Bee 

i was told i had BV last year, but the type was CV.

i had no odour, just watery milky discharge, knew something was a miss, i am post menopause and declining hormones can also be a cause, It was discovered after a smear ,,

mine is cured.. via Gyno.. 

what i must mention is ...any ladies gping down the antibiotic route, must take thrush treatment after, as thrush normally follows after antibiotic treatment.. 

heres the type of BV i had... It was just BV on results, but the type was actually CV 

in the result detail read out.

What is the cause of cytolytic vaginosis?

The normal vagina of an adult woman is colonised by lactobacilli. These bacteria produce lactic acid, which maintains an acid pH, and hydrogen peroxide, which is an antiseptic agent. The lactobacilli protect the vagina from pathogenic infections and are considered important for vaginal health.

Cytolytic vaginosis has been diagnosed when there is an overgrowth of the lactobacilli. It has been suggested that they can irritate the cells that make up the vaginal lining, causing them to break up. The damaged or fragmented cells are then shed with the normal vaginal secretions.

Jay x

• Posted

Hi jayneejay,

i was digonosed with BV too but the report said that granderella is high and lactobacillus is high too ,how did your gyn know it was CV i only have teh watery white discharge i don't have odor or anything i guess the antibioticts gave me UTI i was treated as BV took tone of antibiotics and treated with 3 different antibiotic cause symptoms didn't go away which was only the white watery discharge with little itches ,what did the doctor prescribe and he was clever to know it cv not bv and treat you with antibiotics .so am asking you what kind of tests can tell the vaginal swap only showed (++) signs no precentages also when i gave up i tried garlic which turned green so i guess my vagina is acidic And it must be alkain for grandnerella to grow ..so what is the test and the cure the dr gave you was it also antibiotics?

• Posted

hello Bran

i am lucky i have a good Gyno, plus we are given out reports here and can see ourselves the lab result.

heres abit of info on CV .. i also had thrush present..

i was given clindamycin vaginal ovules for 3 nights followed by Laurimic vag ovules for a following 3 nights for the thrush and this was releated 4 weeks later and all was okay ..

Cytolytic Vaginosis 

This is considered to be an advanced and severe form of Lactobacillosis in which the overgrowth of lactobacilli and the excess lactic acid they produced results in acid damage and exfoliation of the cells of the vaginal wall. It was first described in 1982 and originally called ‘Doderlein's cytolysis’ with the implication that the condition is caused exclusively by Doderlein bacillus (Lactobacillus). This is not totally accurate.

The affected woman will usually complain of a thick or thin white cheesy vaginal discharge, pruritus, burning, dyspareunia, vulvar dysuria, and a cyclic increase in symptoms, which are usually more pronounced in the second half of the menstrual cycle. On examination, the vulva may be swollen and reddened.

Some doctors have linked the condition with increased levels of stress. Although the medical and lay communities understand the consequences of reduced numbers of Lactobacillus in the vagina such as bacterial vaginosis, late miscarriage and preterm delivery, very little is known and written about the overgrowth and excess numbers of lactobacilli. These lesser known disorders lactobacillosis and cytolytic vaginosis are frequently mistaken for thrush infection and treated as such only for the symptoms to recur.

Diagnosis

It is important to distinguish between lactobacillosis and cytolytic vaginosis, and both of these from thrush. This requires a very careful and detailed history, direct physical and pelvic examination, and examination of the vaginal fluid samples as wet mounts or Gram stain as well as microbiological cultures. The lactobacilli in lactobacillosis are very long (approximately six times the length of normal lactobacilli) and spindly in morphology, and the vaginal pH is usually normal. In cytolytic vaginosis the pH is low, usually between 3.5 and 4.5. There will be features of cytolysis of epithelial cells such as poorly defined cell borders, pale and bare or naked nuclei. There may also be an increased number of lactobacilli in the field. Usually, the pathogens associated with types of vaginosis or vaginitis such as bacterial vaginosis, trichomoniasis or candidiasis are absent. Microbiological culture of vaginal fluid sample will usually show either normal vaginal flora or heavy growth of lactobacilli, and no isolation of candida.

Treatment

The goal of treatment is to reduce the vaginal acidity by reducing the numbers of lactobacilli present and provide relief of symptoms. Vaginal acidity may be reduced by bicarbonate vaginal douche or Sitz bath with immediate relief of symptoms.

jay 

• Posted

hi jayneejay ,

Thanks so much for your answer ,i just to add something my vaginal swap showed gardnerella(++) and lactobacillus spp(++) i was on antibiotics for 15 days with differnet dosages .i needed to ask can the presence of chlamydia or any STI be detected in the vaginal swab for BV also how can i read the report i can upload it for help but i need to know as i used many antibiotics to treat my watery discharge I took Clindamcyin

Metronidazole

tinidazole

cexfimei was going for vibramycin for chlamydia,i did n't know what's wrong as my discharge never went a way not even for a while and come back..

it's simply never went away from march till now am suspecting chlamydia but my BF is negative and clean as he said and i don't want to be mistreated more do you recommend the bicarbonate baths? 

• Posted

so i just thought it started BV and after all those antibitocs for a very long time and differnet dosages itturned into CV that's why the discharge never went away?what do you think?

• Posted

hi bran 

i have never needed to to do the bicarbonate baths luckily..

what i will say though is after any antibiotic treatment also have thrush treatment vaginally, and a oral thrush tablet as antibiotics can bring on thrush after.. 

i use vaginal PH home testers now, ecocare ones off amazon and keep a check on the PH levels.

jay x

• Posted

Thanks jay smile iwas thinking in getting one hopefully it could be resolved 

thanks again xx

• Posted

as far as i am aware depending on your doctor 

Cervical screening tests (smear tests) and routine blood tests do not detect chlamydia. You will need to tell the doctor or nurse if you would also like to be tested for chlamydia at the same time. Men will usually have a chlamydia test on a urine sample.

Gum clinics also do these tests 

jay x

• Posted

hi bran 

i will PM you a link for the testers i use 

jay 

• Posted

Amazing! Thank you for posting this! This gives me more hope through what has been the MOST DIFFICULT 14 months of my 32 years of living. I appreciate this very much and am going to see my doctor tomorrow. If she won't help, I'll get a referral to a homeopathic/natural doctor. 
    • Posted

Of course! Good luck! If you can't get a referral perhaps some online searches for NDs will suffice. Thats how i found mine smile
  • Posted

I need help I've had Bv for years now but recently gotten really really bad. The fowl odor coming from my pants and it's so embarrassing my co workers can smell me and my underwear becomes very moist and wet. I've been on the strongest antibiotic before and can never get rid of it now I'm trying cranberry pills. I dnt know what to I'm so depress and about to quite my job because of it. Any advise is greatly appreciated 
    • Posted

It's definitely time ro try an alternative method. don't quit your job and dont lose hope!

There are other ways to beat bv besides antibiotics and it is so awful that most doctors dont know or use these methods. (Antibiotics never worked at all for me either) honestly, Antibiotics have probably made it more difficult for your body to fight this infection now..but it can be done.

For more imediate symptom relief i reccomend boric acid or hydrogen peroxide douches as treatment. Look it up. And putting in an acidophilus suppository during the day to restore balance.

First and formost take a strong probiotic. The best quality you can afford and at least 50 billion icu. On top of that try to eliminate basically all sugar from your diet for a while. Bacteria feed on sigar so eating a lot of sugar only keeps the bv strong.

Check out the 4 reasons i mentioned and see if any of the symptoms match things you experience. There are natural ways that those things can be treated without a doctor.

you dont just have an infection, your body is out of balance in some way. To get better the balance needs to be restored!

If you can afford it i highly reccomend trying to find an ND who is willing to look at you as a whole and nin your area ot just treat the symptoms. Peace of mine and regaining confidence is priceless to me. Best wishes!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

OMG....thank you for writing this because i actually been suffering from BV for 22 years and it has never went away mind you im am only 22 my mother said always had a discharge and they kept telling my mother it was okay...i was recently the doctor told me i have BV....so i am taking all you said into consideration
  • Posted

Hi Bee,

Are you still symptom and BV-free? Please update! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.