Double vision immediately after cataract surgery

Posted , 22 users are following.

I just had cataract surgery today 5 hours ago. I am experiencing double vision. The eyes are noticesbly not pointing in the same directiion. The eye that was operated on is pointed slightly higher than the non-operated eye. To me this means the brain is not compensating to align both eyes correctly. My image of the right eye (operated eye) is either above or below the image collected by the left eye depending on the position of my head. If I look down the right eye image is above the left eye. and opposite if I tilt my head back. Needless to say I am worried about this continuing. I have Operation follow up appointment tomorrow early. Has anyone else have this problem?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was told to keep the eye covered till the next day so I did. Only a guess, but your eye muscles are perhaps still under the influence of anaesthetic. 
  • Posted

Presumably you will be getting your other eye operated on in the future. Your brain needs to get used to one eye being perfect and the other not. I had the problem to begin with but only when looking up at things.
    • Posted

Thank you! My double vision has slowly gone away and the blurry vision too. I believe that the anathesia affected the muscles that are controlled by the brain to correct eye alignment, so were not able to fully correct for the double vision.It has been approximately 9 hours since my surgery was completed. Vision is slowly becoming less blurry, but not as sharp as the other eye yet. When I took off the bandage and looked in the mirror I was shocked to see that the operated eye was higher than the non operated on eye causing double vision as I realize now. The eyes have now become aligned and double vision is almost gone completely. Scared the heck out of me.
  • Posted

Don't worry. If you had a anaethetic block with a needle it paralyses some or all the eye muscles for a few hours causing this problem that should pass after a few hours and definitely by the next day.  If the surgeon uses only anaesthetic eye drops without any anaethetic injection then this problem is avoided but you have to be careful during surgery that you keep your eyes very still!  Some patients or surgeons prefer the needle for a deeper anaesthetic effect.

The blurring after surgery is very variable, some see very well the next day but it can take days or weeks to get clear vision

• Posted

I did not have a needle, but had intravenous anasthesia that made the whole right side of my head numb. Not sure how they were able to do that, but it was only the right side. And yes I agree that the muscles were not in sync with what the brain was telling them to do.  Thanks for responding about length of time needed to gain clear vision.
  • Posted

Hi James. I hope by now you are feeling a bit better about your op. I had my left eye done 4 weeks ago. Was very cloudy at first. Then had half cirle of light at left of eye. Then flashing sensation. It is getting better but still a few blobs that look like rain on you glasse? I am told these are bits of gel from the back of the eye that have been disturbed. They hope they will clear but if no make need laser to get rid of them? This scares me a bit!. I did not have double vision but as I had lazy eye from a chld I do feel eyes not completely co-ordinated yet? First time you go into a supermaket you will notice how bright all the signs are. I noticed lights in the wall freezer units I did not know were there before. Good luck. Let us know how you get on. Shirley.
    • Posted

Shirley - Thanks for comment. This morning after op,  things are brighter than the non op eye which is slightly yellow and not as bright.  Things are still fuzzy - not sharp but no double vision. Post op exam this morning may tell me more on what to expect. I thought I had all the information on what to expect. Wrong.  I needed more hand holding that would have helped to prevent panic when I saw my op eye higher than the non op eye in the mirror which caused my double vision.
  • Posted

Hi James I had cataract operation done on both eyes and I now get double vision if I am lying down looking out or if I am tired.  You are right it is to do with the positioning of the head when it happens.  I had my cataracts done 18 months ago.  I would be interested in what you are told in your follow-up.  I never had double vision prior to the operation.  Good luck, I hope it turns out well.
    • Posted

Double vision was due to fact that the eye that had been operated on was not lined up with the other eye due to the eye muscles not responding to the nerve message from the brain because anesthesia had not worn off. It was higher than the non op eye. The follow up Dr. said it was common. It had already corrected itself before the follow up exam. Cannot understand why it would be a problem after 18 months.  I would contact the surgeon that did your operation. Good luck.
  • Posted

Yes! I had surgery 6 days ago and have double vision. I could not drive to my next day post op. I may postpone the second surgery which is in 8 days. I have some flashes, too.

I'm going to try to work tomorrow. Lots of driving. Pretty sunsensitive too.

• Posted

How is it going today? I had double vision for a few hours. The problem for me was the anasthesia not wearing off I guess. The eye muscles could not respond to what the brain was telling them to do. My eye was moticeably higher than the non operated eye. It finally corrected itself. Keep us informed. My second eye operation is tomorrow at around 9:40 AM.
    • Posted

What did your Dr tell you why you still have double vision? I had my second cataract surgery 3 days ago and still have double vision. My Dr told me it should be better in a few days but there is no improvement
  • Posted

i had cataract surgery march 9th and when they took the patchoff the next day i saw double vision.  they told me it would go away the reasin was i broke a bloodvessel and the muscles were weak and i had blood shot.  it has gone away but in the morning it takes time for my eyes  to focus like15 minutes and at night it sometimesit gets double the doctor told me it will go awaybut be patient this has been going on since march
  • Posted

i had cataract surgery march 9th and when they took the patchoff the next day i saw double vision.  they told me it would go away the reasin was i broke a bloodvessel and the muscles were weak and i had blood shot.  it has gone away but in the morning it takes time for my eyes  to focus like15 minutes and at night it sometimesit gets double the doctor told me it will go awaybut be patient this has been going on since march

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.