Vaginal discharge

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have a question regarding vaginal discharge. I've read a few places online mention that discharge is a symptom of LS, is this correct? I don't understand how something that effects the external skin could produce abnormal vaginal discharge unless you have an infection.

The reason I ask this is for about 2 months now I've been getting a white-yellowish creamy discharge. It literally looks like lotion. Thick and creamy with a very pale yellow colour. TMI sorry. It has no odour and doesn't resemble cottage cheese.

I should probably see my gyno.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi i have just looked this up and copied and pasted for your information 

Knowing the difference between normal discharge and infections

The Healthy Vagina - The vagina serves as a passageway between the outside of the body and the inner reproductive organs. The pH balance of the vagina is acidic, which discourages infections from occurring. This acidic environment is created by normally-occurring bacteria. A healthy vagina produces secretions to cleanse and regulate itself, similar to how saliva cleanses and regulates the environment of the mouth. These vaginal secretions are normal vaginal discharge. Any interference with the delicate balance of vaginal secretions sets up an environment conducive to infection.

Normal Vaginal Discharge - All women have some vaginal discharge. Normal discharge may appear clear, cloudy white, and/or yellowish when dry on clothing. It may also contain white flecks and at times may be thin and stringy. Changes in normal discharge can occur for many reasons, including menstrual cycle, emotional stressors, nutritional status, pregnancy, usage of medications - including birth control pills, and sexual arousal.

Effects of the Menstrual Cycle - The menstrual cycle affects the vaginal environment. You may notice increased wetness and clear discharge around mid-cycle. The pH balance of the vagina fluctuates during the cycle and is the least acidic on the days just prior to and during menstruation. Infections, therefore, are most common at this time.

Signs of Abnormal Discharge - Any changes in color or amount of discharge may be a sign of a vaginal infection. Vaginal infections are very common; most women will experience some form of a vaginal infection in their lifetime. If you experience any of the symptoms below, this may be a sign of vaginal infection:

Discharge accompanied by itching, rash or soreness

Persistent, increased discharge

Burning on skin during urination

White, clumpy discharge (somewhat like cottage cheese)

Grey/white or yellow/green discharge with a foul odor

There is more on the site but i thought this would put your mind at rest - or you can look up the sign os infection yourself

Good Luck Sue

• Posted

I thought you may like to read this too:- 

Monilia (Yeast) Infection

There is normally a small amount of yeast (Candida albicans) present in the vagina. A yeast infection occurs when there is an overabundance of yeast, often caused by a change in the pH balance of the vagina. Yeast infections are not usually sexually transmitted.

Some factors that may increase susceptibility to yeast infections

Increased stress

Use of oral contraceptives

Diabetes

Pregnancy

Use of antibiotics (protective bacteria are destroyed by antibiotics, allowing yeast overgrowth)

Signs and symptoms

Increased amount of discharge

White, clumpy (cottage cheese-like), discharge

Redness, itching, burning in vaginal/vulvar area

Treatment

Since yeast is normally present in the vagina, it is unrealistic to try to eliminate all yeast. Therefore, the goal of treatment is to reduce the overgrowth of yeast organisms and return the vagina to a healthy balance. Treatment consists of antifungal agents in the form of tablets, vaginal creams or suppositories. Over-the-counter treatments are available. However, if you are pregnant, always be sure to have any medications approved by a health care provider. Partners are not usually treated unless they are displaying symptoms such as itching or irritation in the genital area. Treatment for male partners consists of the use of fungicidal cream on the penis. 

• Posted

I have a white discharge that I'm sure is linked I've been checked for thrush and it's not that so far no answers
    • Posted

Hi Justine,

Yeah it's strange isn't it. Mine is also white but yellowish too. Sue posted some good info, it may be just normal or fluctuation in hormones. I just don't know how they'd be linked as LS is an external condition.

• Posted

I'm not sure what's going on as I'm perimenapausal too so it's all changing plus I never use to look down there so maby it's always been like that!
  • Posted

My dr did mention a white discharge is a part of this LS !!! Must not be an infection , because she did not give me an antibiotic!!
  • Posted

Dani, I never have discharge with LS, the only time I have discharge is when I have thrush, which I have at the moment!!!  I have over indulged with too much sweet stuff recently, which incidentally has brought on a nasty flare of LS!

When I first noticed it it looked a bit like cottage cheese, and then the next day it actually looked and resembled  milk, it doesn't itch, but it was dripping out of me, and  so I took a thrush tablet (the kind that only requires you to take one) and then I waited 72hours before doing the same, mainly because I have had serious Candida problems in the past which is why I am so annoyed with myself for not being careful enough, especially as it always brings on a flare up of LS.

I think in your shoes I would just take one tablet for thrush, see how it goes, and then you can always go and see your Gyno if it doesn't clear up.

• Posted

Hi Hun , I have made an appointment with my gp today as for the past 6 months I have had a clear discharge sometimes with a slight yellow tinge no fouls smell but the amount does vary from time to time . Not only that but I am also experiencing pain around my ovaries which makes my tummy quite tender to touch , I have searched the net and convinced my self I have some sort of cancer down there I'm driving myself mad!! sad
    • Posted

Tender tums are often associated with bowel issues - constipation, diverticula problems, bugs  or sometimes urine infections - there is a lot going on in and around the tummy, and often cancer isnt painfull in the early stages so try not to fret

STOP punishing yourself by looking at horror stories on the net- go to you GP or your nurse and talk to them- far better way to go!

Take care

• Posted

Thank you

I have seen my nurse this afternoon and she is positive there is nothing going on

She has taken some swabs and I'll get the results hopefully on Friday

Thank you for your comment xx

• Posted

Hi Anna,

The discharge I have has been going on now for 3-4 months. I'm also worried sick I have lichen planus or something wrong with my cervix. I really should see my gyno and put myself out of this misery of worrying. Im trying to see whether there is a pattern to it (which would probably just mean it's hormonal/related to the menstrual cycle and I'm just noticing it more as I'm constantly looking at my undercarriage applying oil/steroids to the area) or if it's exactly the same everyday of the month. It does have a yellowish tinge sometimes so I don't know.

Let us know how you go.

• Posted

Dani, I think if you go and see your gyno she should be able to reassure you that nothing is amiss, because as you  know worrying is the worst thing you can do with this condition...

I am in a flare myself at the moment and I have noticed a small amount of discharge this week (for the first time) and so maybe for some people there is some discharge when in a flare, it does not smell and appears to be white almost translucent, I know its not thrush, and so not sure what it is.

• Posted

Guppy i don't know how old you are or whether youhave had the menopause- if not

you might like to read the following i copied from asking the search engine to give the physiology of the female reproductive system - I think many querires might be answered by knowing what the norm is- if i am not teeaching you to suck eggs....!!! I only hope to be helpful ....!

Thinning of the Cervical Mucus

After menstruation and right before ovulation, a woman will experience an increase of cervical mucus. At first, it will be thick and yellowish in color and will not be very plentiful. Leading up to ovulation, it will become thinner and clearer. On or around the day of ovulation, the cervical mucus will be very thin, clear and stretchy. It can be compared to the consistency of egg whites. This appearance is known as 'spinnbarkeit'.

Does this help with your diagnosis of your discharge?

• Posted

Hi, Yes I have had the menopause, Its been 2 years since my last period, I'm 45 and it comes early in my family, my mum was 40 when she had the menopause.  I am feeling pretty upset as I have also noticed I am going bald on my Vjay, and of course I am now worried that I might end up losing some hair on my head, also yesterday I  experienced the dreaded "itch"  which I have read about on here and never experienced, and it is terrible!!! today I am better but I cannot believe and forget how bad that itch was.  

Gosh its difficult to keep cheery when its one thing after the other...

• Posted

I too had the menopause aged 40 ish - it was after the unexpected death of my mother. I have been on HRT ever since. When it was decided i should reduce the amount it was done so fairly rapidly after a uterine polyp reappeared and bled copiously- I was diagnosed soon afterwards with LS - again after an EXTREMELY stressful period - so I returned to my previous dosage of HRT  and gently I have reduced the amount but, to reassure you, I do have a full head of hair - which has paled  to make me become a blonde- as the pubic hair is fading too - I am considerably older than you

The Itch Dance I had to perform when out shopping last week - it was horrible - but I did smile as I was performing the wriggling movement surreptitiously- hoping no one would notice!

I had That Itch while travelling around Australia trying to cure " the thrush" I was then diagnosed.........Sigh

A thought - have you reduced thyroid function? - that may be the cause of hair loss- check it out

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your mum, extreme stress can really mess with your body for sure.

Good on you for being able to put up with the itching, and even managing to put on a smile whilst shopping!  

I had my thyroid tested recently and all is good, but I think the baldness is a symptom of Lichen Schlerosus, I Googled it and apparently some woman are unfortunate enough to have that, and sometimes it can affect other areas, and so I just hope that doesn't include me!

• Posted

Hey Anna! I know this was so so long ago but I was wanting to know what your doctor said this was!? I am having the same problems and I just wanted to get some clarity and make sure I don't need to set an appointment with my doctor. I've been freaking out because I don't want to to be cancer or something terrible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.