Tips and Tricks

Posted , 3 users are following.

Dear all, 

I am a girl of 25 and I was diagnosed with perthes on my right hip at an age of 11, so pretty old. At that time I had to be in a wheel cheer for a month or so and walked on crutches for about a year. I had to rest a lot an keep my right leg up. After 2,5 years I was able to do everything, form streetdance till soccer. I somethimes had pains when I walked a lot or did my training to hard but it was fine. These last monthes are now different. I have a lot of pains and it seems like my hip is popping out or something (once in a month if i walked to long). I have been to the doktor but their is nothing he can do at the moment. I wonder if some of you have some tips or experiences with this. I am going to swim now more of then and try to build some muscles around my hip. I hope it would work but I would me grateful if you would have some other tips. 

For the moms on this blog. This is what helped my when I was younger:

-swimming (every week)

-distraction like tv or games

-keeping warm, especially my feet

-resting but walking//moving once an hour to not be completely stiff.

later on I did a lot of excersize during physiotherapy (like biking, rowing and a lot of balance training), hipmuscles strenghtening, keep my weight under control,good orthotics for my shoes and walking. Also a lot of cycling, i did this almost every day. 

In my case this helpt as I did not need the surgery anymore. Even now it is not necessary yet and you also cannot notice that I actual have it. (i walk straight)  I hope this information will help you and give you some hope smile 

zz 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So pleased you have maintained an active lifestyle through all of this!

I am 60 and have dealt with this stiffness and pain since age 8 but am still an active athlete! A daily strecthing regimen is essential to maintain flexibility and of course Advil to assist with the pain! Prayer helops too!

My daughter is a physical therapist and has given me numerous exercizes to build up my hip joints and to keep flexibility.

Would be more than happy to share them with you if you like.

Good luck & God bless!

Lou

• Posted

Dear Loiter, thank you for you reply!

I would love to hear some exercises! If you could help that would be great!

• Posted

I had it also at the age of 11, I maintained exercise throughout upto the age of 38 but after I did a lot of running I got more and more pain, I had an XRay and the doctor said Hip Cysts, small cracks filled with fluid was causing my pain. I suppose with a lot of exercise you can weaken the joint but strong legs and core will always help you take the strain.
    • Posted

Dear dibdibbler, thank you for your reply!

I will try to do some more exercises during the week. I firstly thought that would harm my hip more. Thank you for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.