Drinking Baking Soda to Cure Bacterial Vaginosis?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello,

So I have been suffering with BV for like 6 years, on and off. I think it is linked to my intestines. I struggled with digestive issues through my teens, and still have a slow digestive system, tending to get constipated, etc. I can tell my digestive system is weak because I often get backed up, have irregular bowl movements, and have indications on my tongue and skin. My BV got worse after my abortion a few years ago. I am going to try to improve my digestion through diet, but also wanted to experiment with restoring my pH through using baking soda. 

***Has anyone heard of drinking baking soda to restore bodily PH as a cure for Bacterial Vaginosis?***

If so, is this based on research you read?

I just started trying this method- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in a glass on an empty stumoch when I wake. I also have been inserting one 500 mg vitamin C and rosehips capsile inside my vagina after sex or when I have strong symptoms. 

I am trying to bring the pH of my body up (alkalinize) my body and lower the pH of my vagina (acidify). I'm also avoiding sugar, dairy, carbs, etc. and eat tons of vegetables, greens, quinoa, spirulina, lemon water, fermented foods, saurkrout, etc. and a little meat. 

Thoughts?

Thank you so much,

Summer

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have tried inserting the vitamin c vaginally. The baking soda I have never tried I really think that keeping your diet just the way you explained should do it. I mean I haven't tried it but it makes sense to me.I have tried drinking a half a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar as well and it didn't work. Then again my diet was poor. I am on this boric acid the Dr has prescribed me for 21 days. I will then be watching what I eat after I'm off this med. I have tried many other "home remedies" and none of them seem to work. Keep us updated on how things are working for you. I know that I would like to know to keep this thing away for good!
    • Posted

I think why I stuggle so much with reoccurance is because I have a chronic imbalance; a overload of bad bacteria and deficiency of goog bacteria in my intestines. I think it started when I took too many antibiotics as a kid, ate too much pasta, bread, refined carbs and sugar, etc. and killed off my flora. Good flora is essential for the functioning of our digestion, ph balance, etc. Our intestines are linked to our female parts, and if you think about it the bad bacteria can travel very easily from our bum to our vagina during sex, using bathroom, wearing thongs etc. Taking probiotics can help alliviate symptoms, but its not the same stuff as our actual flora and is hardly suffecient for treating chronic imbalances.. and likewise the baking soda, apple cider vinegar, etc. I think it would be better to create a very medicinal diet plan (cut out sugars, most carbs, dairy/ eat tons of veggies, salad, meat/protein, apple cider vinegar, healthy fats, garlics, seeds, nuts, etc) and slowly but surely illiminate the yeast and other harmful bateria from your gut and the rest of your system. I believe that the results will be more longstanding. Good things come with time! Best of wishes
    • Posted

Did I mention grapefruit seed extract and Myrhh, a herb?
  • Posted

Baking soda, apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon juice to alkalise, all kinds of things work for me but I have to keep it up. I use grapefruit seed extract and Myrrh for Candida and thrush, and other infections that pop up. Either will work very well on their own, but as I said I must take them regularly at least 3 times per day long term.

Plus I have to be very careful about what I eat. Hope that helps. razz

• Posted

very helpful georgia...thanks.

summer theres a woman named hanny in my group...which is lichen sclerosus....another vulval condition...who has success with baking soda rinses....will follow your progress. also you're welcome to drop into our LS Group...it'd be nice to see you x  liz

really very helpful georgia....thank you!  ie kinda keep up a healthy ...no cereal or sugar....sort of diet. how are you with dairy?

• Posted

That sounds about right. I really think I need to stop looking for shortterm alleviation and really get to the root of this. I just started a new eating plan. Low carb, low to no sugar, low to no diary, high protein, high vegetable and greens. 
    • Posted

georgia...baking soda and lemon conflict with each other. useful for cleaning tho.....! given the chemical reaction - good for drains ...but not a good idea in our bodies...better to be specific and therefore effective not just bung everything together any old how....!
  • Posted

Try drinking Pau D'arco and cats claw tea. I tried literally everything imaginable to cure my BV (raw diet, boric acid, suppositories, etc.). It will work wonders and it is great for your immune system so you may see some other health benefits too. Drink 2 glasses per day to start if you have a serious problem, then taper off to one until it is completely cleared up (I think I did this for no more than a month). I struggled with BV for about a year and this is the only thing that actually worked, and you will not have to keep drinking the tea once the BV is gone. It tastes pretty bad (I added in a couple other flavored teas I enjoy, a full vanilla bean, and a handful of goji berries) the best I could get the taste was something like mild lakewater lol, but it is absolutely worth it to drink because it is a permanent cure. Also, if you decide to drink the tea make sure you do a little extra flossing and tooth whitening since it's pretty dark and strong lol. 
    • Posted

this is really helpful info heydani....thanks so much !

i look forward to experimenting with the lake water !! already have pau d'aco tea so will dash over to get some cat's claw...thats classically good for arthritis...helps horses is were i remember it from !! think pau helps with blood sugar issues too. where did you get our info may i ask?

• Posted

Well after trying alot of "traditional" and common bv home remedies and not seeing results I decided to just try and detox my entire body and strengthen my immune system in an effort to help my body fight it off naturally. So I stumbled across the pau d'arco during that research, and then read that cats claw may have similar benefits for the immune system. Here is one link that talks about it (I have no idea how credible it is lol but I figured it was worth a try). 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hey Lizzie, did drinking the lake water teas end up doing anything for you?
    • Posted

Hello, 

I've never heard of this approach and I've been struggling with 5 months with no success. Are you still BV free?

• Posted

hi summer

how is the PV vitamin C going? garlic sewn through with a strong cotton 'string' for use as a vaginal suppository also helps but don't leave it in too long....!! addressing digestion is a really great strategy.

Especially supporting strong stomach acid production which protects us from invading bacteria, viruses and parasites....as well as aiding digestion.

its great to experiment and bicarb is very useful externally...poss as a gargle and to help ptyalin (salivary amylase) with carb digestion in the  mouth....BUT bicarb does interfer with stomach digestion and causes it harder work. Better to support with apple cyder vinegar before meals (or betain with HCL) and fresh pressed lemon in the morning together with the avoidance of carbs am...(except maybe a few berries in a protein shake with good fats eg coconut milk or advocado) so the acidic lemon can go straight to the stomach avoiding the slightly alkalinising tendency of the mouth... when carbs are present.

carb cycling is a helpful concept that i'm trying out if of interest to you in your great efforts to address digestion...It starts by going for low or no carbs in the morning....to support stomach digestion which has been empty overnight so acidic lemon first thing will help to cleanse the system and to boost stomach acid by lowering pH to around 3... without interferring with carb digestion if no or few carbs are ingested (carb digestion is started by ptyalin/salivary amylase in the mouth - ph at or just below 7). So its ideal  if we avoid carbs or limit them first thing ...by having instead great organic protein and good fats....but then have maybe some limited carbs for lunch (one golf ball size);  with 2 golf ball sized portions in the evening eg sweet potato... (avoid at lunch...espec if going for weight loss)...however we do need some carbs to protect from ketosis. Ketosis has its place eg for diabetics trying to regain control and in intermittent fasting on occasion to rest the digestive system - but long term the strategy can be adverse. Great that you're trying to work all this out....I'm with you xxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

Ok that’s good to hear someone else told me to try but I wasn’t sure if I put it n my bath water or not.but 1/2teaspoon n a glass.with or without water 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.