Shivering one minute overheating the next?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Diagnosed with SS and Lupus 2014 I have been doing great on 400mgs Plaquenil a day. Recently started Paleo and was doing great started Paleo AP still good. Recently started being very sensitive to cold even shivering around the house during the day and then in bed at night. The next thing I know I am extremely hot and sweating. 53 years old thought I was finished with Menopause. But don't remember the cold being part of it. Could it be from the diet? Should I see the Rhuemy? Raynauds? Let me know what you think.

Many thanks,

Sally

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sally, it sounds like you have an infection and it is unrelated to sjogrens. I'd get to a doctor as soon as you can.
  • Posted

I'm inclined to agree with Sue. Doesn't sound like any Sjogren's symptoms I've ever heard of, or experienced.

It is true, though, that some women do suddenly start getting hot flushes a few years after the menopause. I agree that doesn't account for the shivering, unless it follows on immediately from a sweating attack. When I was going through my hot flushes, I used to get drenched in sweat during the night, push the covers off in my sleep, then wake up soaking wet, my teeth chattering with cold.

Just a thought... you're not on any neuroleptic (anti-psychotic) meds are you? They can destabilise your temperature controls, with potentially dangerous effects. But if this is the case, please don't stop them immediately. This class of drug needs to be tailed off slowly under medical supervision.

Whatever the cause, you should go and see your GP about this asap, rather than your rheumatologist.

• Posted

I was exactly the same, thought I really had something else..no infection or anything else..dr said it was just my SS or Fibro..I get like it still sometimes...wake up really sweating...then freezing cold the next minute...grr...hope this helps some..your not alone Sally....have a lovely day..be blessed.:-) xx
  • Posted

Sorry Sally me again...by all means get checked out by your doc..it's too easy to write everything off on our conditions..(.I had already gone through menapause-quite early actually) when this all happened..so please get checked out first..but this did happen to me and still does from time to time..:-) xxx
  • Posted

Thank you all for your advice I'm feeling better about this already!

Sally

• Posted

Hello,

Have you had your thyroid tested? I get very similar symptoms of not being able to regulate my body temperature and I have hasimoto's thyroiditis as well as sero-negative sjogrens. Just a thought.

• Posted

Sally  I have reciently been diagnosed with sjorgens. Found it when I had a flare which I am still in. Hot sweats and freezing go with it. I keep turning off my air conditioner.  My tounge is very swollen and sore, can't swallow very good and having a difficult time breathing. It comes and goes. Severe fatigue and bad pain all over. I'm on prednisone 10gms. If you get any more symptoms go see your doctor. You might be starting to go into a flare. I also have polymyalgia rheumatica. This is some bad stuff. Flares are really bad...... Wish the best to you.
    • Posted

Susan,

just saw your post thank you for the info! I have been trying to figure the body temp. thing out and just can't seem to get a handle on it. Now that it is summer here in New Mexico I feel hot all the time! If it is part of the SS I can handle that, not knowing is what makes me anxious. 

I am sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Did your doctor mention anything about taking Plaquenil? Is that an option for you? It takes awhile to start working but it really helped me with the pain and fatigue. Thanks again for the info.

Feel better,

Sally

• Posted

I see mostly women's on here but I'm a 51 yoa male, I take pain meds for chronic pain have for years but lately I'm cold one minute and then freezing the next... Any feed back you be greatly appreciated. Joe

• Posted

Hi Joe not sure what you're going through but I'm in the same situation. 39 year old male that's had a hip replacement and revisions. Lately I've been going through the same thing. I've had alcohol poisoning before and it's almost identical sans the vomiting. It could be the pain meds but that doesn't explain the cold flashes unless you're withdrawing from your pain meds. Also been through that. Withdrawals from opiates start off with watering eyes and constant stretching and yawning. Then turns into gut wrenching abdominal cramps and vomiting. Along with muscle spasms and cramps all over. With the hot cold flashes inbetween. By far the worse experience of my life. I hope you find the cause. Hope this helps

• Posted

I have exactly the same thing.  One moment I'm shivering and about 15 minutes I'm sweating bullets!  Sweat pouring down my forehead.

I'm chilled almost everyday.  Usual dry mouth, dry eyes, dry skin, etc. fatigue,  but you're the first I've seen w/ the flu-like symptoms.  I am stumped as you are.  

Daignosed w/ Sjogrens about 2 years, but i've had symptoms (chills) for maybe 15.

I am 74 yrs old, a diabetic and now besides the Sjogren's have developed Irritable Bowel Syndrome.  Have changed my diet, mostly gluten free and a lot of no nos for the Irritable Bowel syndrome.  Bummer, but  managing, but the chills/sweats is so debilitating!   Can't help you but relieved to find another w/ the same symtoms b/c I thought was something else

• Posted

I realise that this post is over a year old but it fascinates me.

The freezing cold symptom I have experienced for about six years of the nine that I have had Sjögren's. It would come on most afternoons about 4 pm and last until 7pm. I mentioned it to several doctors all with a different reply like "you are just tired". I would go to my room and put on warm jumpers and socks then by about 7pm be stripping them off. So being 'tired' didn't make sense, as you don't get less tired three hours later.

However interestingly I started Plaquenil a few months ago and I can honestly say that I have only had two episodes of these 'freezing attacks' since I commenced that medication. It's wonderful to be free of them.

My thyroid function is supposed to be good. I have never had hot flushes.

I do now sweat like crazy in hot weather whereas all my life I remained relatively dry. My take on it is that these temperature imbalances are possibly part of the autonomic disturbances some people get with Sjögren's.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.