Colonoscopy - Moviprep - Chills & Shivers

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All

I was wondering if anyone has experienced chills and shivers after taking Moviprep bowel prep?? 

All replies and/or advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance smile x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

No, in fact for a couple hours nothing happened at all. I was beginning to think perhaps I was immune to its effects...but how wrong I was!

Perhaps you've got a bug...Hopefully movIprep will flush it out! Good luck.

• Posted

Hello again...

I just replied to you in your post 😁

I started the prep 2.15pm, nothing for an hour, then mild tummy ache and mild shivery chills. Then another hour later - Bingo! Abdominal pain & chills away now. I read shivery chills (Rigors) are a common side effect of Moviprep.

How are you getting on? 

Carla 

• Posted

I've replied to your other post too! biggrin

I'm fine now, it's amazing how quickly things get back to normal!

• Posted

Sounds like You might have a bug or mabye you could be allergic to it
  • Posted

Hi Carla

I was fine with the moviprep, just found it hard to drink so much.  No real cramps just the urgency to go increases the more you drink, stay near to the loo and you will be fine.  I suffered no shivers or chills at all. 

• Posted

Hi! 

I took the moviPrep at 7pm for my 12 pm colonoscopy the next day. 15 minutes later I got chills which worsened as the hours went by. I also felt very cold and tingle like feeling around my body. By 4:00am I was in the ER.  After blood work they found my liver enzymes high which I'm sure it was from this medication. Apparently I had a reaction to it. My colonoscopy was cancelled and something different will be given to me for the next time. There's something in this medication that you might be sensitive to. So stay away from it if you can.

• Posted

Wow ,

I  just commented on another board abt picolax headache ,

no chills just really bad headache as I said over there I passed out twice on prep day because of it , and asked abt it at clinic I was told maybe I didn't drink enough which I did I wasn't dehydrated I know what that's like this was horrible nurse just shrugged and said it's a common side side effect ,

wondering  if anyone else had this headache .

• Posted

Yes they kept me waiting till 5.30 for the procedure and my head was about to split. They wouldn't even allow me a paracetamol. After my procedure ( which was aborted halfway through) they were then panicking because my blood pressure had dropped th 60/40.  I put the headache down to low blood pressure because of prep and no food for so long.  My God they won't get away with that again.
    • Posted

Never had my bp monitored during scope ,

bp was taken before exam and that was the only time .

I had pulse monitor on my finger and that was all .

post exam I was taken over the pre exam Info once again and signed a declaration i had a colonoscope and that was that .

no idea what my bp was .

• Posted

Low blood pressure is a definate trigger for sever headaches.. They should have checked yours...mind you they should do a lot of things that they don't 
    • Posted

Just googled and pethidine plus midazolam reduce bp .

with no bp being monitored (perhaps they would have if sedation had been given ?? ) my bp could've reached danger level .

this gets better and better .

• Posted

I had a colonoscopy last week, and it wasn't a bad experience that I was imagining and no pain, but the previous evening by around 10pm I felt  really weak and went all hot, as if I was going to pass out, I did drink a lot of water during the whole day and evening  but maybe not enough.  The horrid feeling   soon passed and once I had a lie down I was ok.
  • Posted

Hi, I definately had that with mine. I thought I was the only one. I was so cold!!! I spent half an hour in a hot shower trying to warm up and added blankets to the bed. I'm not sure what causes that but, I to had that experience.
  • Posted

I was told headache is a common side effect 

by same nurse who said scope wouldn't hurt ,

yet I sister I needed pethidine .

yeah I really trust medics these days ,

same nurse eventually admitted scope hurt along with surgeon doing it 

and still ppl have pain free scopes and preps ,

who is right here I wonder ?

I know my experience and it was horrible .

and it was backed up by a nurse and surgeon so maybe there's some iron guts out there or ppl who had partial or sigmoidoscopy that are walk in park but so.stones reffered to as colonoscope as it's same area but nothing like as invasive 

or they took sedation and have altered perception of procedure .

but this is abt prep and magnesium used in picolax can make bp drop 

causing blackouts and severe headaches just like I had ,

in the case where this is reported scope should be aborted or patient monitored sedation given to a patient reporting tbee side effects is dangerous as midazolam and pethidine reduce bp further and can cause heart failure ,

my bp was not monitored 

and they insisted I take sedation which I refused .

• Posted

Yes I have the chills & shivering plus shaky & my face is beet red. I will never out myself thru this again!

Have been so nauseous all day.

When it finally hits you you will be stuck in the bathroom for awhile.

Someone I know who had this procedure did not have to use this disgusting stuff. They gave him Ducolax tablets & miralax worked fine.

I think any doctor who prescribed this is not very nice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.