My boyfriend takes 30/500 co codimol and he takes 20-30 ...

Posted , 33 users are following.

My boyfriend takes 30/500 co codimol and he takes 20-30 a day, you may think this is a lot but that is because my boyfriend has been addicted to them for the past 6 years after being given these tablets following his tonilectomy.When he wakes in the morning he has bad cramps and my bed is soaking wet this is due to the fact that hes an addict and the codien has worn off.When he has tried coming off them he has the same symptoms as a heroin addict in cold turkey. He is now gets a daily persription and is down to fifteen a day but he now takes codien phosphate as the paracitamol in the co-codamol causes constipation which cant be good on the bowels. He is only 26 and this addiction has made his life sometimes unbareable. I know that if he could turn back time he would never had taken co codamol.

BE VERY CAREFULL

[i:8846f2a75e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8846f2a75e]

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

my mother in law used co-codamol 8/500 for 6 years, first she lost her kindny(BOTH KIDNEY)and he passed away 2 months after that. Hey all co-codamo user please plesae plesae dont use co-codamol priodly and most of the time. CO-CODAMOL IS ENEMY OF YOUR KIDNEY.sad

[i:91e8f02d0a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:91e8f02d0a]

• Posted

How can co-codamol be an enemy to your kidneys. It only contained 8mg of codeine, so I can't see how it is the enemy here, unless she took more than the prescribed dose each day together with other medication?

[i:87ebb79834]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:87ebb79834]

• Posted

Co-Codamol is both codeine and the killer is the paracetamol which is the second pain control in co-Codamol. So many people just don’t understand this and take it like sweets. Once hooked on the codeine the paracetamol just gets forgotten…. It kills kidneys and the liver, it’s a toxic drug.

Last of all, if like me you have or had a dependence on this drug when you need a good pain killer or are admitted to hospital for an operation or you hurt yourself the pain control they give you does not work. I was in agony for weeks….     

• Posted

I totally understand what your boyfriend is going thru. I get awful pains around my entire digestive system which are still unexplained. I'v lost count of all the tests I'v had done. I was on 30/500 for 18 months before getting the courage to tell my dr I couldnt stop taking them (I was on upto 18 a day). He started me on a plan to cut down & I got down to 8 15/500 a day before being sent to a consultant at a hospital to look into my pains further. He put me on codeine phosphate 30MG X2 3 times a day. That was 16 months ago. I now take 4 every 3-4 hours (5 or 6 at night just to sleep.) I have tried cutting down, but the pain is just too much & I dont have the will power. The only way I'm gonna stop is by being forced. If I dont take them I cant walk coz my legs are so bad, I cant think, I'm dizzy, I cough, I get terrible diarrhea, migraine, I'm sick, stomach cramps & just generally everything hurts. I'v also been known to hallucinate. Now why would I volenteer to go thru that?! The only way I see myself comming off them, is after they find out what the original problem is, then going into rehab!

[i:c6df5f45f8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c6df5f45f8]

• Posted

Hello all, a few home truths are needed here, with the levels you are taking of cocodamol its not the codeine you should just 'worry' about but the vast amount of Paracetamol. Your not just in the DANGER AREA for the codeine you've by passed it with the Paracetamol. Paracetamol is well received by the liver in tolerated dozes but your dicing with your life in excessess.

I would highly recommend you get the next available appointment with your doctor and go or be dragged by your best friend and put yourself in his hands. If not you'll be in someone elses hands sooner if not later.

The combined drug Paracetamol & Codeine 30/500 are excellent for severe pain and work with most successfully but not in the huge amounts demonstrated in this post.

Go for the first appointment NOW!

• Posted

Good good advice.. I am half way down the toliet because of this drug, maybe no way back in terms of the damage its done to my liver. Yes seen the doctors, had the tests..
  • Posted

[/b][color=darkblue:9e360d9687][/color:9e360d9687]

:cry: sad Hello i really need some advice from people,i'm now 30 years of age and have been taking solpadol soluble tablets since i was 12.Doctors put me on them which im very angry about as i was only 12!!!Lately the areas around my kidneys are killing me and im really scared..This has become part of my life taking these tablets and i hate taking them as i know its not good but im also scared of giving them up...Please advise me as to what i should do,and what has happened to my body over these years.Thankyou.Donna

• Posted

Only one way I am sorry to say. Stop taking them or die. I have left it too late, so please please start a programe to cut them down until you stop or go cold turkey.. Get some help to do this from a doctor...
  • Posted

hiya donna :cheerup:

have a word with your doc donna, i know that it can be difficult to come off codeine and they are \"part of your life\" but as you say \" i hate taking them\" stop worrying, your only 30 deal with it now, rather than later :ok:

it won't be easy, but it strikes me, it will be worth it :ok: by the way it's highly unlikely that your body is damaged at the moment :mrgreen: but sure as shit it will be by one way or another if you don't do something about it soon, that includes your MAIN organ, the brain :shock:

cheers Ken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :run: :rainbow: :rose:

• Posted

Just thought I'd share my experience, you never know it might even help!

I snapped a ligament & prolapsed a disc in my lower back about 8 years ago, I was instantley prescribed Co-Codamol 30/500, which was given to me as the Solpadol brand. The following few years I was taking two every four hours, often counting down the clock till the next ones, waking up in the middle of the night. I took at least 20, every single day from the ages of 17 - 20. The worrying thing now is that I have very little memory from that time in my life, I failed all but one of my exams in school, my friends all tell stories of things that happened and it was as if I wasn't there. I was in a relationship with a girl for two years (who I hid my usage from) who I can barely remember. To this day I find my short term memory quite bad.

Why my doctor continued to give me these in such rediculous numbers I do not know but it took a huge effort to get myself off these, I say off, I'm down to between 4 - 8 a week. I find that my temper & mood fluctuate wildly. My eyesight has also flipped from being long sighted to short sighted, which I'm told by my optician is incredibly rare so thought I'd mention it just incase!

I found with Solpadol I had very regular side effects, dizzyness (which to be honest, I often quite enjoyed) a sort of fuzzy/itchy stomach, really bad dehydration, very bad but realistic nightmares & almost bipolar feelings of joy/sadness

I have, in the last few months, been moved on to Zapain, I can only assume my doctor is getting a bonus for prescribing a specific brand. I do not like them one bit. I find they send my heart racing, my whole body uncontrolably shakes & I have an overwhelming sense of dread and panic for no reason, which has lasted up to 20 hours on 2 tablets.

Oh, I have also had problems with my liver in the last year, I do not drink. I was told that this was due to my bad diet, I asked if it was possible if the thousands of solpadol I had popped into my body could have affected this & was told \"maybe, I supose\" and sent on my way

I've ind of lost faith in the medical system to be honest. If you are taking, or even thinking about taking, these I would steer clear unless it's absolutley vital. I have never heard of anyone taking these and having a good experience.

• Posted

i had an addiction to 500/30 co-codamol back in 2000 and it took me 3days of hell to feel half normal.

my problem is im an ex herion addict so most my lifeivebeen addicted to some form of opaite .

ive bad flu this week and my gp/doc has presribed me 30/500's i'm so scared of having bad effects .But im on a drug called subutex which is an opaite this opaite blocks other opaites takig effect basically meaning i cant get high of co-codmol i just hoping my pain goes .

just be careful everyone id not take these tablets after 2weeks other wise your be addicted .

goodluck

dizzy xxxxxxxx

• Posted

:roll: :roll: :roll: Hello everyone. I have Fibromyalgia, which my doctor refuses to diagnose. I have been given so many diffrent drugs, but 30/500 co-codamol is the one I always end up back on. I've been on these for over six years now. I take at least 14 a day and \"thin them out' by adding a few of the 8/500 as well. I also drink up to three can of strong larger a day as I find this helps with the pain. I never feel out of control or drunk! I still end up awake half the night and have just had to start taking more pills halfway through the night. I have regular blood tests and my liver etc is clear (please don't think this is encouraging anyone to do what I do) I tried to stop last year when a new \"wonder doctor\" at my practice decided I didn't need them. It wasn't a good experiance. The problem is that this drug is the only one that helps with the pain.

My friend recentlly had a slipped disc and was given the same drug without any warnings. She now looks forward to taking them as they help her relax!

• Posted

I've just been reading these posts from a few years ago. I was prescribed co-codamol 30/500 mg in 2001 after having pneumonia then again the following year because of a bad back. Im still being prescribed them and i go through 100 tablets a week. I run out before my next prescription is due and have to suffer with awful withdrawal symptoms for a week each time due to my surgery not dating my repeat prescriptions until their actual due date. Im now sat here sweating and aching and have awful diarrhea each time i don't take them. Im due to pick up my tablets on Friday and although its all i can think about everyday i know i need to stop taking them. I have pains in my kidneys and my migraines get worse when Im like this. People say you can go cold turkey for months and some st it only lasts a couple of weeks. Frankly Im not sure i could even cope 5 days . You must need to be a very strong person to stop taking these rotten things. They rule my life.
  • Posted

Hi Keith. They DO NOT rule your life! It is an addiction which can be addressed.

Co-codamol for pain after pneumonia then for a bad back???? I'm surprised you were prescribed it.

Anyway... I'm not a doctor so who am I to say otherwise. You need to talk to your doctor about alternative pain killers or anti inflammatory medication at least for your back anyway. However, not knowing the exact problem you have with your back I cant say. Go see your GP!!!

The amount of paracetamol you take per day/week is dangerous. I'm not surprised you have kidney pains. As for the migraines well could actually be another side affect of way too much codeine/paracetamol..

With regards to you stopping this painkiller..... I think you are underestimating your own strength. IMO people who say you can go cold turkey for months are telling porkies! Cold turkey usually lasts a week or so. However, going cold turkey is not something I would recommend but tapering of is. Either way you need advice from someone who knows!!!

I used to extract the codeine from 10 - 20 tablets a day and became highly dependant in a very short time. After a while my body built up a tolerance to the codeine and eventually had no effect. I used more. Maybe up to 40 tabs per day. The same happened. But within 5 or so days I had no effect. I started to feel really low and ill. I got depression, hit rock bottom and then I knew I needed to stop this habit and fast.

I have managed to go cold turkey a couple of times in the past and it's not too painful if you have the desire to go the whole way and some sound advice from someone who knows.. ie your GP. My problem was that after a month or so was back on the codeine. The addiction was still in my mind.

I spoke with my doctor and was referred to the drug recovery team. This was very helpful. My councillor worked with me and over a month I managed to taper of the codeine very slowly to a complete stop. I will say that it was not easy but 100 times easier (for me) than going CT.

After working with the drug recovery team and having CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) I have not abused codeine for nearly a year now. I still use it for head and toothache but as it comes with the paracetamol 30/500. 2 at a time and 4 hours between doses. I'm lucky as I don't get too many headaches etc (when I do though they are pretty bad) so don't need them very often.

I can assure you that when (not if) you stop relying on the codeine your life will become a much more enjoyable experience.

Good luck mate. You will conquer!!

• Posted

hi all I have been addicted to these painkillers for over two years. I am now doing cold turkey, which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I am suffering with cramps ,anxiety, pains in my legs sleeplessness and sweats. I had to do it I was taking 8 a day sometimes 10 , my whole life started to revolve around them, and I started having terrible mood swings and night horrors, I will keep you all posted on how it goes xx.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.