advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, had my long term statin stopped by gp a few months back due to blood tests showing liver enzyme problems, that issue is still unresolved, but had another blood test done last week showing my cholestrol has gone up from4.3 to 6, so my doctor cannot make her mind up whether to allow statin use again to lower cholestrol levels because it may affect this liver enzyme thing, so I'm in between the devil and the deep blue seas at present, any advice please to stop my worrying, thankyou.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi David - my husband was the same as you but it was horrendous muscle pain he suffered and he could not take statins. His doctor put him on Omacor - a type of fish oil tablets and that brought his cholesterol down to under Five.  I had a reading of 5.7 10 months ago and the doctor did not mention going onto statins. I decided to start taking a bowl of Scotch Porridge Oats. I had my cholesterol checked a couple of weeks ago and it was down to 4.9 without changing my diet as we ate a sensible diet already.   

Why not try porridge - if you do not take it already or, suggest to your doctor about Omacor. My doctor was delighted with my reduction. And said it was amazing to come down so much with just taking the porridge although it is stated in all sites that this is one of the best ways to reduce your cholesterol.

Hope this helps as I know I would not take statins knowing what they did to my husband.

• Posted

hiya Jackie, yes muscle pain was part of my problem but I could tolerate it, until the doctor pointed out that the muscle damage can be permanent! so between that and the liver thing it is increasingly worrying me sad I do enjoy porridge as it happens, and being Scottish! I must try eating it every day and see if it makes a difference, also will mention the Omacor fish oil and see if she thinks it suitable for me. I'm delighted for you the reduction in your cholestrol, I have what is called familial cholestrol, I think that means that it is inherited through the genes? as my late dad died through heart/cholestrol trouble. I will update as and when I get any news, thankyou for taking time to reply. cheesygrin
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience with Omacor and porridge.Ive not touched porridge since i was sick as a little boy,as i was forced to eat lumpy porridge made with water by my mother.I think its time to "try" it again and see what happens.My cholestrol is 6.5 and my doctor hasnt really given me a path to try so i think your experience has new give me a direction i can go in.Good call !
    • Posted

hey hello fellow biker! 1200 bandit my favoured machine just now. Porridge can be made to taste beautiful believe me, you can buy"oatmilk" in a carton @ Tesco which compliments it 100% then if you should need to sweeten it, honey is nice! be brave! and your cholestrol will thankyou cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi David.Thankyou for your reply.I guess bad experiences can stay with you a long time.I'm now 63 and can still feel those lumps in my throat ! I'm going to do what you suggest,never heard of Oatmilk but i'll be having a look next time i visit Tesco.I am currently having Pro Activ milk which contains plant sterols apparently which should help a little.I havnt really got a sweet tooth so i'm happy without Honey but thanks anyway for the suggestion,i'll keep it in mind.I'll send you a private message.
  • Posted

Hi David - steroids cause more problems than they fix. Please try the porridge and if you don't ha e time to make it you can buy the small pots where you just add water and it's ready in less than a minute. I take it before I play golf and this gives me the energy to get round rather than chocolate. My son in law is a Rugby Coach and he had a nutritionist come in to speak to the boys and it was him that got me onto the porridge. Please try it and you might have the same results as me. Good luck and insist on the doctor looking into Omacor as I don't think it is cheap but def. worth a try.
  • Posted

This is interesting. I started on 40mg statins (Atorvastatin) but stopped after a month because I suspected muscle issues. I already have neck pains due to "wear and tear" and they got a bit worse. The other day I woke up with aching back and sides (upper) taking paracetamol cleared the ache. So I revisited the Dr. and she suggested 10mg statins. She also suggested coming back in a month to have a blood test which worries me. BUT I am interested in the porridge idea. Can someone tell me why/how it works?
    • Posted

Hi I was the one that mentioned the porridge if you google what does porridge do for high cholesterol it will tell you it has been proven to lower cholesterol. I have a plate every day and in 10 months reduced my level from 5.7 to 4.9. Would never take statins after what I saw they did to my husband. Like you he had to keep going back to be checked. please give it a try and let me know how you get on. It can do you no harm to try it.

Jackie

• Posted

Jackie, I will follow youre idea about porridge. Thing is, what did the porridge replace? The combination may be the reason for the reduction not just the porridge.
  • Posted

Hi I to have been told my liver levels are up after taking 2months on fenofibrate had blood test done and now  colestrol shot up my g p are trying me on other type of tab ezetimibe  for two months I  started out on statins I had leg problems with them and felt unwell all the time  I don't trust statinshope these new tabs work out for me 
    • Posted

hi Lilelse, I was on Simvastatin for years until they noticed my liver enzyme things behaving not normal, so they stopped them and my cholesterol has gone way up, but until the gastro doctor who is investigating the liver thing says so I cant take them, boo hoo. I have never heard of ezetimide before, I will write it down and mention to my doctor, although the answer will be no until the liver issue is resolved. I had no obvious problems with statins for years, but it makes me think they were quietly harming me without me knowing. Delighted to here the new tablets are working for you! biggrin
  • Posted

I only just stared new tabs Ezetimibe 10mg not sure how I will be after taking them for four weeks when I will have bloods took again ,,,, hope they sort you out ,,,,I don't trust statins of any discription 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.