CN colonoscopy? After painful sigmoidoscopy- so much it had to be ceased half way

Posted , 5 users are following.

Am really deflated today. Spent all night and morning drinking the vile drink and gagging on it only for the price deduce to be ceased immediately due to the extreme pain I was in. The day cor asked if I'd had pelvic surgery which I have had (c section and laparoscopy). He said it wasn't uncommon for it to be so painful if you'd had these surgeries. I had a rectal biopsy but the drink was a waste of time as they couldn't get further than rectum. I was nearly in tears. Doctor said alternative is CTVcolonoscopy. Has she else had this? I know you need the dreaded drinks.....but any experiences round be gratefully read. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

They never told me that! But it explains why mine was so painful because ive had a laproscopy in previous years and a total hysterectomy last year so the scarring inside mustve made it as extremely painful as it was for me.
  • Posted

Did they manage to do the procedure? I am gutted I didn't have it completed as no further on with why I have pain and iBSsymptoms. This was a rule out procedure and on to gynae next. Don't think I could do the drink thing again. The taste is still there! And excuse poor spelling above. Autocorrect! It's actually a CT colonography they suggested as the next step. 
  • Posted

I have attempted sigmoidoscopy but it was the worst experience ever and they couldnt complete the proceddure due to me being in so much pain that the last time I jumped off the table screaming half naked down a corridor ( I have already posted about it).  I have also had CT colonoscopy.  I had it twice. I have managed it both times and didnt find it anything like the Sigmoidsocopy.  They are taking xrays of you and insert a camera in you but it didnt feel anything like sigmoidoscopy.  It doesnt take that long either.  I couldnt manage the prep you mention either the vile drink and they gave me this stuff to add to a drink which was nothing just a maker to show up on the x ray and I had soups and jelly and a  vbit of ioce cream before the proceddure and didnt have the drink. It was over qucikly and they gavve me some buscapan for the wind but you dont feel it much well I didnt.  I dont know why I have been put forward for the sigmoidscopy again after having CT colonography (colonoscopy) and it being clear.  I think the Doctor forgot but I was down to have another sigmoidscopy and couldnt face it.  I think it depends on the person doing the proceddure and how rough they are with the scope.  The CT one is not even in the same league pain wise belivee me it feels different and I didnt feel anything   
  • Posted

Thank you for this. Made me feel so much better x

• Posted

Sorry you had a painful experience.  So did I when I had a sigmoidoscopy back in February this year. It had to be stopped after a few minutes because I was in so much pain.  Nothing was said to me about a laparoscopy but I had one some years ago so maybe thats why I had all the pain.  Anyway they then arranged for a colonoscopy but I called and cancelled it due to the pain during the sigmoidoscopy.  Nothing else was offered to me so I still have the same symptoms and just carry on and thankfully they havent worsened so I must be thankful for that.

• Posted

Hi. I've been offered (if my GP agrees) a CT colonography which is an alternative as not as invasive. The only issue is if they see something they have to do a colonoscopy to take biopsy. I'm hardened to the fact I'll have to have the drinks again for the CT but hoping if it's clear then no need for colonoscopy. If it's not I guess I'd ask for anaesthetic. Because sedation doesn't stop pain. It's horrible having this fear hanging over isn't it? Why not ask for the CT Colonography?
    • Posted

Wait I'm confused ? You did go through a painful sig? Due to the fact of your previous procedures? Right now I'm due for a sig next week. And again as I said in other posts , I think I'm going to cancel app ! 😳
    • Posted

Nope. I had an attempted sig which was so painful I couldn't carry on. My heart rate was off the scale. I know there's who sailed through it though. 
    • Posted

Basically what you're saying I will go through hell?! How many min does this exam last??
    • Posted

I'm not psychic and thus I'm not saying anything to you. Speak to qualified medical professionals. You're embarrassing yourself. 
    • Posted

Do I detect a smart answer from you?! The fact that you're saying I'm embarrassing myself , implies of my mental condition that I'm in! This is strictly based on forum support , not making objective comments ! I'm not seeking for you to tell me the outcome of the future ! Basically your personal experiences!
    • Posted

You say your 'not seeking for you to tell me the outcomes of the future'? Yet you said 'basically what you're saying is I will go through hell'.

I therefore said I cannot see into your future.

I can't understand your points. If you have issues you need to seek medical intervention not come on this site. Stop messaging me.

• Posted

You're the one that keeps responding! I'm giving you the facts . people are made of different caliber! The fact that you said stop embarrassing yourself , you're insulting me ! So don't worry I won't message u again ! Just let this comment have an impression on you! That next time you go through this again , you will remember this comment!
    • Posted

I really don't want to insult you. I really do know how anxious you feel. But. I commented on this a long time ago and I suddenly get a comment saying basically I'm saying you'll go through hell. You won't. If it's painful they stop. The worst thing is the drink and the side effects and if they have to stop then you will feel short changed. I hope it goes smoothly and painlessly. I mean that. 
    • Posted

Thank you .,you see this is the Suzy I was expecting compassionate.,someone who I chose to respond because of her experience. I suffer from anxiety attacks since I was a child . Although I'm on meds , it's still a challenge for me . Goodbye .
    • Posted

Well just be clear I was not suggesting you or anyone would go through hell. If you are very anxious then maybe they'd sedate you which would help you relax but wouldn't stop the pain? 
    • Posted

I understand. Regardless pain or no pain , I have to get this out of the way . For my piece of mind .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.