Severe headache after lumber puncture

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a lumber puncture done Thursday its now Monday and I'm bed ridden and can blot sit or stand without feeling like my head is going to explode! I went to a&e last night left with no help but told me to go back today to see a doctor on a ward which I did but again no joy just put me on morphine, paracetamol and said they hope it will go jn days but can be weeks! I can't look after my children my husband can't take more time off its a complete nightmare! I asked if they would do a blood patch but they said no it will cause more issues! Any help advice if just people's experiences would be a help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

went through the same thing.  Had a LP done on a tuesday, went back to the ER on Thursday for a blood patch (which didn't work).  Was not able to stand for more than 1 minute for about 10 days after that.  Never thought it would get better but it does.  Everybody is different but the more you lay the faster it heals i think.  Plus, drink a TON of water .. i think i drank around 80 oz per day. Reason I was told is your body uses water to replentish the lost CF .. if you don't drink enough, you get dehydrated which leads to more headaches.  Lastly, was told to drink miralax or somethign to soften your stool because the pain meds make it harder to go plus it doesn't take much to pop the seal your body is trying to create.  Hope that helps!
    • Posted

It's nice to hear someone that has been through it. I'm on day 5 tomorrow don't know how I'll get through another 5 😥 I will drink more water! I've lost half a stone due to not been able to eat it's just awful!

• Posted

Yeah it's no fun.  I fought depression for the first week because every doctor i went to gave me a different "diagnosis".  One said I must have strained my neck somehow .. another said it was a migraine cycle.  I probably lost 25 lbs in that time span.  Slowly noticed i could be up for longer periods of time.  Even on day 10 I found myself needing to rest after about half the day.
  • Posted

I'm in a similar situation, had mine weds and it's now Sunday, although I'm smacked off my tits on codeine and been given some anti sickness I could just about change my nipper's nappy this morning (which is a first in a few days)

Wed afternoon I was ok, by the evening my head hurt. Thu morning I felt that rotten that I cried but it appeared to ease off in the afternoon and I managed to eat lunch and dinner.

Fri, I was sensitive to light and movement and would vomit everytime I moved. Subsequently went to a&e who gave me some anti sickness but didn't prescribe anything to leave with, so had the Dr do a home visit yesterday who gave me the codeine etc and mentioned if I'm not better by Monday to ask my gp about a blood patch!

It's been a couple of weeks since u posted, please tell me you're back to normal and there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.