Am I being treated correctly

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been suffering with crippling stomach pain just below the central breastfeeding bone for over a year now. Before going to the docs I was up almost every night in absolute agony with pain that lasted anything from a couple of hours to 12 hours. Nothing I took made any difference. Docs sent me for a gastrostomy and that showed some inflammation of the upper stomach lining, biopsy showed no h pylori. I have been taking 60mg lansoprazole gor over 6 months now and I am still up at least 2 nights out of 7. In fact I am writing this having been awoken with pain again. Surely the lansoprazole should have worked it's magic by now and I shouldn't still be having this amount of pain. I am beginning to worry that there may be something they have missed. I am constantly bloated, I feel full really quickly after meals and I don't seem to go to the toilet as regular as I used to either. My doc is aware of all this but insists I remain on the tablets. Meverbine was also prescribed to me but didn't work. I have cut out all spicy foods and alcohol and try not to eat late on but to no avail. Any ideas what I should be doing next....I can't keep on like this 😯

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I send much sympathy because it sounds like you are having a terrible time. I am sure the Lans 60mg should have helped by now - but there are other forms of PIP that might be useful to change to? In my humble opinion, I don't think you are being treated "correctly" and there needs to be more investigation! The other drug you were given is for IBS which can be a very debilitating condition (I suffered from it very badly about 20 years ago). The only way I found to help myself was to radically change my diet and also to manage stress levels - not with drugs but with natural products. I was on Lans myself for 3 months this year after an endoscopy showing an ulcerated oesophagus - my GP said I would be on it for life - but I am now off it completely and rarely have any issues of acidity or discomfort. I consulted an expert in nutrition (who also uses muscle testing as a diagnostic tool) so she helped me come off the drug and my body (muscles) told her what it required in the way of diet and supplements  so that it  could heal and there are other natural substances/supplements you can take to help protect the lining of your stomach. She is a member of BANT and based in London. Anyway. Please consider pestering your doctor for more information and investigation - you really should not still be in such discomfort - the Lans is obviously not sorting out the problem completely. The bloating etc could well be IBS - but it is a condition that is hard to "prove" and therefore its potentially an easy diagnosis for your doctor to make when they don't know for sure what is wrong....plus the Lans also has unpleasant side effects which could be a part of - or all of - the problem. One thing to remember though - if you do ever come off the Lans or another PIP completely, do it very gradually over a period of time - as stomach acid can peak off and on for weeks once the drug is withdrawn. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for your reply 😊 I managed to get back to bed at around 6 this morning so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I desperately want to get back to normal and do not want to have to take these things for life. You mentioned that there were other "natural products" to promote the healing of the stomach lining? What are these? I am overweight and am also on blood pressure medication for high bp so losing weight would be the obvious 1st port of call but all the health issues I have had have led me to suffer with anxiety and depression ( that's on top of the sleep deprivation) 😯 so exercising and healthy eating have been the furthest from my mind recently. I am open to anything that will help me get back on track and heal my body and mind.
    • Posted

Hi. The main suggestion I was given by both my GP and the Nutritionist is that my diet should be more alkaline. The latter also suggested a natural product called Slippery Elm which can be taken in capsule form or as a tea. It helps to line the stomach and protect it from excess acid. I've also read that exercise is good for treating depression. So perhaps your doctor can also help with sensible suggestions along these lines...and you can start tackling the diet side at the same time. Don't overwhelm or over load yourself by trying too much in one go - its easy to give up if you do - just try for gradual and determined! And do some self help by reading - there are many good books out there that can support and advise you on healing both body and mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.