Submandibular Gland Surgery - Not Straight Forward

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I had surgery to rempove my left submandibular saliva gland under general anesthetic a month ago. Shortly after leaving the recovery room to go back to the ward, the artery in my neck burst and I was rushed back in for emergency surgery to repair it. I was unconcious and intubated for 14hrs before waking up in intensive care. A bit scary to say the least.

I was made aware of the risk of a bleed before the operation but was more concerned with the possibility of permanent nerve damage. It was explained that a bleed was VERY rare and so I didn't feel to worried.

What I would like to know though, is the artery cut during the operation to facilitate removal of the gland or has it been cut in error during the operation? The cause of the bleed was that the staples gave way and the artery bled into the wound...rapidly!

I'm going back to see the consultant in a few days with most of the swelling and deep, dark purple bruising around my neck area now gone ( there was a lot! ). The area directly below the scar however, is still about the size of a large egg and doesn't seem to be getting any smaller.

Any advice or anecdotal knowledge would be appreciated.   

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Crikey!  Seems you have really suffered.  I have been told that these glands are a bit of a challenge for the medical staff as they perform all sorts of functions connected with them.   I hope you make a full recovery soon - as for me I would love to get rid of the swollen gland but am in too minds about surgery unless recommended  which at the momen hasn't been suggested.

You should be seen as a follow-up and  will be able to ask a few questions about how you feel.  All the best.

• Posted

Hi, did the egg like mass go away under the scar? I'm currently 4 weeks out and dealing with this right now. It's painful and preventing me from extending my neck back or moving it a certain way. It also prevents me from fully opening my mouth.

• Posted

Hi Sabina,

Yes it did, but I had to go back to the hospital to get the fluid drawn out with a syringe. They did this under a local anesthetic so it wasn't painful.

The fluid was a build up of blood which presumably accumulated after the drain was remove following the surgery. Perhaps it had been removed too soon.

Anyway, there was an immediate improvement but over the next day or two it did grow back again slightly. Ultimately over the next couple of weeks it had gone altogether.

Overall the operation has left no long term effects other than:

1 a slight tightness around the scar ( which is pretty much invisible now )

2 I get neck cramp below the scar if I yawn too aggresively.

3 I suffer from a dry mouth more regularly and I certainly need to drink more water or liquids than I ever used to

Hope this helps

• Posted

i had mine removed on feb 18 i still get jaw pain and some swelling but no prob with opening my mouth or moving my eck try icing for a bit and then maybe heat

• Posted

i had mine removed 6 weeks ago i still have swelling and get a pain in my jaw thats goes to my left ear feels like someones hitting me with a hammer theres a spot ny my chen that really big

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.