Physical work with kidney stones

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi can anyone advise. I have had a stone lodged in the bottom of my ureter for about 6 weeks now . I was originally hospitalised with renal colic and advised that I needed an op to get the stone out. However I have previously had this op with some complications due to stent, so reluctant to go ahead. Anyway I decided to see if the stone would pass on its own accord. So my question is I have constant flank and pelvic pain but manageable most of the time . Recently I have had several more attacks of renal colic always after work I work as a domestic and my job is very physical could this be aggravating the stone. Has anyone else had this problem. Any suggestions much appreciated . Maureen

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's not so much that the work aggravates the stone - the stone just does its own thing and tries to move down the ureter when it feels like it. Every time it tries to move, you will get pain.

The hospital will hope that you can pass the stone without them having to intervene and this is the safest way. However, the pain can get to you so do keep up with the painkillers and drink plenty.

Either it will pass or it will get worse to the extent where you need the intervention.

Ask about alternatives to surgery e.g. lithotrypsy. It worked for me.

Good luck.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi thank you. I have tried lithotripsy but after the second session I was unable to tolerate it. It's been over 2 months now since my original renal colic with this stone and it's seems to not want too move any further. Although the pain is constantly there it always appears to get a lot worse after anything physical. I will continue with the painkillers and drink plenty of water which I must admit I don't always think to do. Hopefully il get an appointment with consultant soon.

Thanks again

Maureen

• Posted

Dear Maureen,

Your friendly urologist here. 

Physical activity should not aggravate stone pain. Stone pain is caused by the stone causing blockage of urine flow in the ureter, which is influenced by how much urine the kidney is producing. None of that is affected by physical activity. It is common advice to drink this or that to flush the stone out, but if you are having severe pain, try cutting out fluids only for an hour or two to settle down the pain.

Dr. Holland

• Posted

Hi Dr Holland

Thank you for your reply. I asked the above question because although I have experienced the passing of several stones over the years I haven't experienced anything like the current one I'm having trouble with.

After the initial renal colic the stone stayed lodged 3/4 of the way down my ureter. Although I had constant moderate pain, throughout the course of the day it would always get a lot worse, then easing again during the night . However my last CT scan (this week) showed the stone being very close to my bladder so I'm really hoping it's not going to be much longer .

Maureen

• Posted

Hey,

How's your pain Maureen. Actually I too have same problem. I have stones in my kidney, and physical activities causes pain in my penis's head. So if you are fine to help me around.

Thank you

Abie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.