Seroquel (Quetiapine) Withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi 

Am on the 6th day since stopping this drug completely. Tapered off but probably a bit too fast as was keen to get off it, went from 300 to 150 over a month and then just stopped it altogether last week.

Am only sleeping due to a friends spare sleeping tabs that she gave me but even then my sleep is disrupted and my dreams are very vivid.

Have had a constant bad headache and nausea for the past 6 days.

Can anybody who has stopped this drug successfully, give me a timeline of how long their withdrawal symptoms lasted for please?

I am not bipolar or Schizophrenic, i have severe long term depression and now am on Setraline, Mirtazepam and Pregabalin (which i am hoping will ensure i do not fall back into the dark place i was when i was initially prescribed Seroquel)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

WDs may go on for up to 4 weeks if you stop quetiapine suddenly, though they get less intense as time goes on - its best to withdraw from quetiapine slowly, you seem to be saying you stopped using from a daily dose of 150 mg - it would be easier (fewer WDs) if you dropped the dose by 25mg every 3 to 7 days, then when you get to 25mg, take half-tablets (about 12.5 mg) for up to a week, then quarter-tablets (about 6 mg) for similar period, then stop - that will minimize any WDs, especially insomnia..................
    • Posted

Hello BadNewsBrain

Thanks for your reply, sorry theres been a delay in getting back to you but i havent been quite with it, so to speak.

Yes, i should have tapered off more gradually but i feel i would have had WDs even from stopping a lower dose tbh. Its now day 13, going from 150 mg to no Seroquel and i have to say i am feeling much better. The headaches have stopped, i still have the nausea but as i have had gastritis symptoms for over 2 years now (which has been diagnosed and includes nausea) i am used to feeling sick. My sertraline dose has been increased, so that may be compensating for the Seroquel, as i havent 'crashed' or 'slumped' mood-wise. The Pregabalin has made quite a noticeable difference in me, i cant praise this drug enough, it has been a wonderful (no exaggeration)

So all in all i am doing ok  and believe i am over the worst of Seroquel WDs in all of 2 weeks. I am also sleeping at night without sleeping tabs, but then my 2 antidepressants which i take in the evening make me sleepy. Vivid dreams but i am used to them.

All the best and thanks again for your reply.

Happy New Year smile

• Posted

Hi. I have spoken to many bipolars and read a lot about it, and it seems to me that - depending on the dose and duration of use - quetiapine withdrawals can last anything between a few days and a few months, averaging around one or two weeks. Also, remember that when you come off prescription drugs like quetiapine, some of your experiences involve the symptoms of your mental disorder 'bouncing back', or could be the onset effects of new meds you may be taking - its not all down to withdrawals.
  • Posted

Hello beccainkent,

some people seem to profit highly from Spironolactone. I myself took Seroquel for 5 years and couldn't get off it. Each time I tried to reduce the dosage, I suffered from unbearable symptoms such as complete insomnia for days and even weeks, muscle cramps, palpitations and nausea. It was horrible and normal life impossible. One day I had to see the nephrologist and was prescribed spironolacton for another condition. The unimaginable happened and I could get off Seroquel with a month from 170 to 0 without any withdrawal symptoms at all.

• Posted

Hi Denise my son is trying to come off his last 100 mg of Seroquel, but even with the slightest cuts, like 4 % the last time, he becomes extremely irritable and moody,. Could you send me more information about Spironolactone and also, does it help with irritability? We feel discouraged..does it have any side effects?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.